The Freedom Archives internship program offers opportunities to work hands-on with historical documents and media and improve your writing and critical thinking skills. The internship program is specifically designed for students in high school or college and community youth interested in working with historical materials that document peoples’ struggle for freedom, however we encourage all ages to apply. No prior library or media training is necessary, just a desire to learn and engage with the resources in the Archives. We ask that interns engage with materials in our collections with an open mind, conduct appropriate research for historical context, catalog materials, and summarize the contents for our database. Interns may also be encouraged to produce a project using Archives material that articulates their own struggle for liberation and/or reflects relevant social issues. This is an unpaid internship with high school or college credit available for those who require it.
The Freedom Archives has worked with youth from local high schools, colleges, and Bay Area communities in audio production and archival research. We’ve had interns from MetWest High School, June Jordan School for Equity, Urban High School, the University of San Francisco, San Francisco State University, and others.
Duties and responsibilities can range from cataloging to archival research to audio production, depending on area of interest and skill set. All interns must complete a brief in-house training session before working with archival materials.
What we are looking for:
- Interns who have a passion for engaging with progressive and radical history.
- Interns who are able to work independently and articulate questions or concerns to intern coordinator.
- Interns who are willing to commit 5–20 hours per week to working in the Archives, with specific days flexible per intern schedule.
- Interns who want to listen to audio, research historical context, and create database entries for our searchable online database.
- Interns who want to preserve and catalog collections of paper documents and gain experience in content management.
- Interns who want to gain or improve their media skills including working with reel-to-reel and other audio formats as well as digitizing and editing audio and video clips.
Please fill out the following form to apply for an internship with us.