[Pnews] Erika Rocha's Suicide Underscores the Damage That Prison Is Wreaking on Youth

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 28 15:55:14 EDT 2016

http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/35834-erika-rocha-s-suicide-underscores-the-damage-that-prison-is-wreaking-on-youth

    Erika Rocha's Suicide Underscores the Damage That Prison Is Wreaking
    on Youth

28 April 2016 00:00 By Colby Lenz
<http://www.truth-out.org/author/itemlist/user/52173>

Erika Rocha was a 35-year-old Latina woman incarcerated at the
California Institution for Women in Corona. She was found hanging in her
cell on April 14, 2016, after 21 years of incarceration. Erika was only
14 years old when she was charged and convicted as an adult in Los
Angeles County.

I visited Erika in prison as a volunteer legal advocate with the
California Coalition for Women Prisoners
<http://womenprisoners.org/?cat=10>. She told me about the abuses she
suffered at the hands of the State of California since she was 14. With
no family by her side, Erika was intimidated by police and threatened by
prosecutors with a double life sentence for attempted murder. This
threatened sentence was far beyond the charge, but Erika was scared and
confused. Police had interrogated her with no guardian present. She
waived her Miranda rights, without understanding what that meant. The
district attorney aggressively prosecuted Erika, who had grossly
inadequate legal representation. Under pressure, she took the blame for
the older kids involved and pled to a 19-to-life sentence. When it came
time for her sentencing proceedings, Erika sat in court alone. The
criminal legal system is intimidating for a well-resourced adult.
Imagine what it was like for Erika.

Erika's story highlights how the criminal legal system intimidates,
coerces and traps people, especially low-income youth of color
<http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/images/policybriefs/policyreform/FR_YACJS_2012.pdf>.
As a Latina youth, it was 43 percent more likely
<http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/documents/Latino_Brief.pdf> that
Erika would be prosecuted as an adult and 40 percent more likely
<http://www.campaignforyouthjustice.org/documents/Latino_Brief.pdf> that
she would be admitted to an adult prison compared to a white youth. As a
poor youth in a foster care <http://kids-alliance.org/facts-stats/>
group home, Erika faced a much higher chance of incarceration. Erika's
mom died when she was young, and she had recently learned that her dad
was not dead but incarcerated.

Erika was sent to a women's prison in Chowchilla at 16 years old
<https://s3.amazonaws.com/static.nicic.gov/Library/031370.pdf>. Prison
staff placed her in solitary confinement to "protect her" until she was
17. At our first visit, she told me that guards said they put her in
solitary to protect the prison because she was too young to be there.
They put a neon sign on her cage door that read "Do Not Approach -
Minor." This would be just one of Erika's four indefinite solitary terms.

Erika was in a mental health unit when I met her. She spoke openly about
attempting suicide and about her extended time in this unit and
on-and-off suicide watch. Erika suffered from dehumanizing treatment for
mental health issues attributable to her incarceration as a youth
<http://jjustice.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/CAYCJ-treat-kids-as-kids-Oct-2014.pdf>.
Her trauma was worsened by the isolation of incarceration, added to by
further isolation in solitary (including suicide watch). Formerly
incarcerated leaders of the California Coalition for Women Prisoners who
supported Erika as a teenager in prison have said she sought support for
her trauma since the beginning of her incarceration. Since the moment I
met Erika, I worried about her ability to stay alive, because of her
notable and stated vulnerability and because of the prison system's
proven ability to make her life impossible.

Erika was traumatized, but she also had a fighting spirit and a
sweetness and a youthfulness that I will always remember. We made plans
to fight for her release. She talked about wanting to tell the world
what she survived. She wanted to fight for youth justice
<http://www.youth4justice.org/>, and when she trusted me enough to start
telling her story, she wouldn't stop talking.

This past weekend, Erika's sisters and stepmother (whom she met shortly
before she was arrested) shared some of her writing with me from October
1996. Erika was 15 and locked up in juvie when she wrote, "When I was
very young people always left me. I felt that they didn't even love me
... I care a lot about people but they don't care about me and it hurts
me. I don't know, I'm just a confused kid just like everyone says."

Erika was more than confused -- she was neglected and abused. The child
welfare system, the District Attorney's Office and the California
Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation are all responsible for
Erika's death. She took actions to end her life, but the criminal
punishment system killed her. These institutions robbed her of any sense
of her own future, even a day away from her youth parole hearing
<http://fairsentencingforyouth.org/legislation/senate-bill-260-justice-for-juveniles-sentenced-to-adult-prison-terms/>.

In the weeks leading up to her death, Erika was transferred to suicide
watch at least three times. The day before her death, she was released
from suicide watch and returned to a mental health unit. The California
Institution for Women failed to save Erika's life the very next day.

Several of Erika's closest people are now on suicide watch. The suicide
watch unit at the California Institution for Women is overcrowded and
the prison has mental health crisis beds on "overflow" in the SHU
<http://solitarywatch.com/2014/11/05/a-girl-hung-herself-yesterday-deaths-at-california-institution-for-women/>
("security housing unit"), further endangering
<http://solitarywatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/fact-sheet-psychological-effects-final.pdf>
people's lives. In 2015, the suicide rate at the California Institution
for Women <http://bit.ly/SuicidesCIW> was more than eight times the
national rate for people in women's prisons and more than five times the
rate for people in California prisons. In January 2016, a court-ordered
suicide prevention audit by suicide expert Lindsay Hayes concluded that
the prison continues to be "a problematic institution" with "poor
practices" that fail to prevent suicides.

This week the California Coalition for Women Prisoners launched a
petition <http://bit.ly/InvestigateCIW> demanding an end to the epidemic
of deaths and attempted suicides at the California Institution for
Women. Impacted by the trauma of incarceration, people are speaking out
and demanding an end to incarceration as a cause of death. In honor of
Erika, the California Coalition for Women Prisoners also seeks support
for the Public Safety and Rehabilitation Act
<http://www.safetyandrehabilitation.com> to eliminate the power of
prosecutors to directly file youth under the age of 18 into adult court.
We also support legislation <http://womenprisoners.org/?cat=10> to limit
solitary confinement for youth and to ensure that youth cannot waive
their Miranda rights. Since we helped start it, California should end
the war on youth, with its race-, class- and gender-targeted mass
incarceration.

Erika's death was preventable. She should have been loved, not caged.

Copyright, Truthout. May not be reprinted without permission
<mailto:editor at truthout.org>.

    Colby Lenz <http://www.truth-out.org/author/itemlist/user/52173>

Colby Lenz is a legal advocate with the California Coalition for Women
Prisoners. Colby has been working with people imprisoned in California
women's prisons for the past 14 years. This work includes survival and
release support, building leadership power with currently and formerly
imprisoned people, and developing community-based responses to violence
that do not rely on or reinforce the prison-industrial complex. Colby
organizes with the Survived And Punished project, a national organizing
project to end the criminalization of survivors of sexual and domestic
violence. Colby is a Ph.D. candidate in American studies and ethnicity
at the University of Southern California where she studies
criminalization, imprisonment and social movements against life and
death sentencing. Colby is committed to collaborative scholarship
focused on refining and strengthening social movement strategy.