[Pnews] Herman Bell: Message to the Palestinian people - Greetings and solidarity!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 18 13:42:25 EDT 2016

*http://www.freehermanbell.org/For-Palestine.html

This is a new blog by longtime Political Prisoner, Herman Bell published
in a pamphlet of US political prisoner writings for a recent delegation
to Palestine.

**

Solidarity was forged as former political prisoners in Palestine and
former US-held political prisoners in our delegation discussed parallel
experiences. Palestinian audiences at both conferences were moved by the
messages we brought with us in a collection of letters from currently
incarcerated US political prisoners some of whom have already served 40
years and more €”to their Palestinian sisters and brothers. Our
colleagues at Birzeit University'€™s Institute for Women'€™s Studies
translated the letters into Arabic. The solidarity was palpable during
the final plenary of Birzeit's conference, when the phone rang and we
heard the voice of US political prisoner Mumia Abu Jamal
<http://www.bringmumiahome.com>. Mumia was calling from Pennsylvania to
express solidarity with and love for the people of Palestine.

*
*The entire pamphlet can be read here: *
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Pal/PP%20Booklet%20Ar%20and%20Eng%20Web.pdf>

*To the Palestinian people - Greetings and solidarity!*

*You don't fight alone!*

I have followed, supported, and I continue to follow and support your
heroic struggle to rid Israeli occupation of your homeland. Almost daily
we hear of israeli tank shells and missiles firing into your homes, your
hospitals, and school buildings; we see pictures of broken bodies being
dug from the rubble. Whole neighborhoods and vital resources: food,
water, electricity are decimated. So much death, bloodshed, and
destruction when seizing and occupying other people's land, an old
narrative that Indigenous people the world over know so well.

The international community does nothing throughout this occupation of
your land; it sits on its hands, laments the destruction and loss of
life and does nothing. I feel the beat of your seething heart. And
during periodic lulls throughout this decades-long occupation, when even
the occupiers seem sated from their bloodlust, you rise up from your
magnificently dug tunnels firing off salvos of your own bootleg missiles
into the towns and hamlets of the occupiers. Your creative resistance to
this occupation is so reminiscent of the Vietnamese people's spirited
resistance to u.s. occupation during their war of national liberation.
When having shot-down a heavy u.s. B-52 bomber, they built iron bars
around it with a sign saying: "We caged this beast!"

Freedom loving people the world over support your struggle, support your
courage and fortitude in resisting this occupation. For we know that
while heads of governments in the international community posture,
gesture, and pronounce empathetic words, they speak but one language,
the language of the occupier, which is why they will neither condemn nor
prevent this ongoing carnage and continued israeli occupation of your
land. For that, the Palestinian people have to look to themselves.

But you don't fight alone.

Afrikan-American people here in North America support you and know
occupation well. Here the local and national police force are our
occupiers. Throughout some three-hundred years of tyrannizing the soul
and body of the Black community, america's pervasive racism and cultural
domination has overworked itself, yet our spirit remains unbowed. And
we've been enslaved longer than we've been free. We suffer
mass-incarceration, racial profiling and unrelenting, police violence.
We endure; we bide our time. For we know nothing lasts forever. Thus we
affirm that no daylight exist between the Afrikan-American and
Palestinian struggle in resisting the racist, oppressive violence that
occupies, that kills, that imprisons us here and you over there. Our
struggle is one.

Accordingly, as we go forward, as you speak comparatively of israeli
social policies that resemble the racist South African apartheid
regime's social policies, I would urge that you speak also of the
similarity between the Afrikan-America and Palestinian struggle. The
comparison is effective; it resonates. Both our hardship and casualties
originate from the same source; our communities are stressed; our men
and women have been captured, tortured, imprisoned, or killed. Our
families suffer; our children experience uncertain tomorrows. You
don’t fight alone; our struggle is one, and we build to win.

Solidarity forever,
Herman Bell

*The Delegation statement can be read here.
<http://www.freedomarchives.org/Pal/Delegation.We.Stand.docx>*