[Pnews] Stop retaliation against Texas prisoner population

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Apr 18 11:49:02 EDT 2016

*iwoc at riseup.net*

As of Monday, April 18th, prisoners in Texas have been on rolling labor
strikes for two weeks. The Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
is retaliating by locking the prisons down and depriving prisoners of
even the standard abysmal human necessities they are forced to provide.
Retaliation against people who refuse to work for free is one of the
tools prison administrators use to assure that prisoners can continue to
be exploited in today’s modern day slave system.

If you have a minute, please call the following administrators and read
the scripts below:

*Brad Livingston, Executive Director, TDCJ, (936) 437-2101 or (512) 463-9988
*Bryan Collier, Deputy Executive Director, TDCJ, (936) 437-6251 or (512)
463-9988
*Jay Eason, Deputy Director, TDCJ, (936) 437-6318 or (512) 463-9988
*TDJC Ombudsman Office (936) 437-4927 ombudsman at tdcj.texas.gov
*TDJC Office of the Inspector General (936) 437-5030 oig at tdcj.texas.gov
*TDCJ Executive Director (512) 463-9988 exec.director at tdcj.state.tx.us

EASY Script: "Hi I'm calling in support of striking prisoners in Texas
and their demands for good time, an end to $100 medical copay, an
independent grievance procedure and an end to human rights abuses. Stop
enslaving our brothers and sisters and assure that your staff is not
retaliating against striking workers by giving them write ups, eyes on
Texas!"

CHALLENGING Script: “Hi I heard about the prisoners labor strike and I’m
calling to find out what sort of progress you are making toward meeting
the prisoners demands.” Here is the list of demands for you to discuss
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rgmhxemd9kfORLVnXgl-vWTPH0qwLLcY81dukdXzv7A/edit>.

~~~~~

If you have a little more time and want to have an even more significant
impact we need help determining which prisoners are being retaliated
against on any given day. Which prisons are on lockdown seems to change
every couple of days.

There are nearly 100 prisons on this list of prisons and administrator
phone numbers
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EpBkDopALaaVlN7dBtGPtRaljnKBrC1psbm-eluiYMs/edit#gid=0>.
Please add comments to the list so that we are better able to track what
is happening and hopefully get at least a couple of calls in to every
facility.

Script: “Hello, I’m calling to see if this facility is on lockdown right
now.”

If they say no, say “I have heard that some prisons in Texas are on
lockdown because of a labor strike associated with a list of demands
from the prisoners”. Then start reading them this list of demands and
letter from a prisoner
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rgmhxemd9kfORLVnXgl-vWTPH0qwLLcY81dukdXzv7A/edit>.

If they say yes, they are on lockdown, ask them about the conditions the
prisoners are facing and also ask them what directives they are relying
on to guide their actions in this matter. Here are some of the reported
conditions:

- Workers are threatened with major infractions for withholding their
labor. These infractions could result in good time being taken away.
Although good time seems to rarely be applied to anyone's sentence, the
threat of losing it is highly coersive.

- The locked down prisoners are not receiving the hot meals. This means
hundreds or thousands of prisoners have had nothing to eat but bologna
or peanut butter sandwiches since April 4th.

- Mailroom staff is delaying or interfering with the delivery of inmate
mail.

- There are reports of lights being left on during the night or left off
during the day, other examples of petty harassment from trifling guards
and threats that the lockdown treatment will extend for weeks or even
months.

- Interfering with the prisoner’s access to basic necessities like food,
sleep and connection with their families and the outside world is inhumane.

- Please stop punishing the prisoners for asserting their basic
humanity, if you want them to come off the workstoppage, you should meet
their demands.

The prisoners need sustained pressure on these institutions, so please
call on Monday and then make plans to follow up at least once more later
in the week, if not every day. Thank you!!!

~~~~~

Also, Looking ahead to May 1st, we are asking people to carry the
prisoners voices with them to whatever May Day events they may be
planning or attending. Alabama prisoners have called for a month-long
workstoppage starting on May 1st. If you’re already getting rowdy May
Day, please also consider throwing a jail demo or a protest at the
public face of a prison-labor exploiting corporation.