[Ppnews] C.I.A. Detainees Sent to Guantánamo

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 6 17:25:57 EDT 2006

September 6, 2006
<http://www.nytimes.com/>
The New York Times

C.I.A. Detainees Sent to Guantánamo

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_stout/index.html?inline=nyt-per>DAVID
STOUT

WASHINGTON, Sept. 6 – President Bush said today
that 14 suspected terrorists held in secret
locations by the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/central_intelligence_agency/index.html?inline=nyt-org>C.I.A.,
including some who were deeply involved in the
Sept. 11 attacks and other notorious assaults on
Americans, are being transferred to the
Guantánamo Bay naval base in Cuba to stand trial.

Mr. Bush said in a speech at the White House that
he welcomed the transfers as a way to provide a
measure of justice for relatives of the nearly
3,000 people who died in the attacks five years
ago next Monday. “They should have to wait no longer,” he said.

The president also urged Congress to approve
legislation he was proposing that would authorize
the use of military commissions to try the
Guantánamo detainees. The legislation is aimed at
addressing a
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/s/supreme_court/index.html?inline=nyt-org>United
States Supreme Court ruling in June that
tribunals set up by the Bush administration could
not be used because Congress had not approved them.

Mr. Bush’s speech coincided with the Pentagon’s
release of a new manual spelling out specific
procedures that can be used to interrogate
prisoners in Defense Department custody. The
manual rules out some questioning tactics that
could be defined as torture, or humiliation, or
both. The manual does not apply to the Central Intelligence Agency.

The president’s announcement that the 14
terrorist suspects would be sent to Guantánamo
was the first time he that he had acknowledged
the secret program run by the C.I.A. to hold and
question “high value” terrorist suspects overseas.

Allusions to the secret program have surfaced in
court documents, however, and some administration
officials have assailed news organizations for reporting about it.

Mr. Bush said that the “small number of terrorist
suspects’’ detained by the C.I.A. “includes
individuals believed to be key architects of the
Sept. 11 attacks and attacks on the USS Cole,’’
as well as on U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.

“These are dangerous men with unparalleled
knowledge about terror networks and their plans
of new attacks,’’ the president said. ’’The
security of our nation and the lives of our
citizens depend on our ability to learn what these terrorists know.’’

He said that the location of the C.I.A. detention
facilities could not be divulged to protect U.S.
allies that had allowed the agency to operate
within their borders. But he said: “I can say
that innocent lives have been saved, here in the
United States and across the world,’’ he said.

He also said the C.I.A. could continue to detain
and interrogate terrorists suspects, though none
are currently in the agency’s custody.

Interrogation procedures used by the agency
against a former aide to
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/osama_bin_laden/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Osama
bin Laden, Abu Zubaydah, had been ’’tough, and
safe and necessary,’’ Mr. Bush said. His
disclosures under interrogation led to the arrest
of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who in turn led U.S.
authorities to other terrorists. Mr. Bush said
his proposal to Congress for trials before
military commissions is both legal and within
America’s tradition of respecting individual rights.

The suspected
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/a/al_qaeda/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Al
Qaeda and
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/t/taliban/index.html?inline=nyt-org>Taliban
members held at Guantánamo are not “common
criminals or bystanders accidentally swept up on
the battlefield,” Mr. Bush said, but killers
whose hatred for the United States is bottomless.

Mr. Bush asked Congress to clarify what
interrogators can and cannot do, and to give them
protection from lawsuits in United States courts
by detainees who might allege that their rights
under the Geneva Convention have been violated.
The applicable section of the convention is too
“vague and undefined,” he said.

Mr. Bush’s announcements today, made in a
36-minute speech in the White House with some
relatives of 9/11 victims present, may be
interpreted by administration critics as a
retreat from his previous hard-line stand on the
handling of terrorist suspects.

But the president adopted a posture of
cooperation rather than surrender today as he
pledged to work closely with Congress to enact
his package. And with the traditional Labor Day
start of the campaign season just past, he put
pressure on the lawmakers to declare their
positions on terrorism and how to fight it.

Brian Knowlton of the International Herald
Tribune contributed reporting for this article.