[Ppnews] Protecting the Torturers

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Sep 6 13:20:47 EDT 2006

http://www.counterpunch.org/soldz09062006.html

September 6, 2006

Bad Faith and Distortions From the American Psychological Association

Protecting the Torturers

By STEPHEN SOLDZ

"A torturing nation uses fear, persuasion, and
propaganda to secure the assent to torture from
society in general and from members of its legal,
academic, journalistic, and medical professions."

-- Steven Miles, M.D.,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140006578X/counterpunchmaga>Oath
Betrayed: Torture, Medical Complicity, and the War on Terror

Bahraini national al-Dossari has been imprisoned
at Guantánamo Naval Base for over four-and-a-half
years. Amnesty International has obtained his
account of his treatment in United States care in
Afghanistan and in Guantánamo Naval Base. Here is one excerpt:

"The investigators would also put psychological
pressure on me. Some of the things that happened
to me during investigations are: I was threatened
with being murdered, tortured and having to spend
the rest of my life in jail in Cuba, my daughter
Nura would be kidnapped, they would make trouble
for my family in Saudi Arabia and they threatened
to assassinate me after I am released. They put
very strong detergent in the investigation room
and poured it all around me until I almost
suffocated. They put a music stereo record on
very, very loudly, they put very bright torches
to my face, they put me in a very, very cold room
and reduced the temperature to the lowest
temperature for many long hours and did not allow
me to have food or drink, go to the toilet or perform my ablutions to pray.

"There were many other things such as they tied
my hands to my feet in the ring on the floor of
the room. All the investigation rooms have a
metal ring fixed in the floor to tie the detainees' feet to it.

"As for sexual assaults, many things happened to
me and I will mention some of them here. One day,
on a Saturday ­ I will tell you the reason for
why I remember this date later ­ the soldiers
took me at night for investigation. In the
investigation room, they tied my feet to that
steel ring and then they left me and went away. I
sat alone for a long time. Then the door was
opened forcefully and four soldiers wearing black
masks and a female investigator came in. The
soldiers started terrorising me by raising their
voices and one of them had a video camera in his
hand that he was taping this with. Then this
investigator said to me, 'now we want you to
confess that you are with Al Qaeda or that you
have some connection to the attacks in America,
otherwise tonight we will show you something that
you will never ever forget for the rest of your
life', and of course, I will never forget what
happened for as long as I live. I told her that I
had no connection to what she was talking about.
They also had extra shackles with them that the
soldiers moved in their hands to terrorise and
frighten me. They started threatening me and when
I realised that something serious was going to
happen to me, I started screaming and shouting so
that perhaps one of the brothers would hear my
screams. However, that was out of the question as
all the investigation rooms were soundproof. She
said to me, laughing, 'it's Saturday, it's the
weekend, it's late at night and there are no
officials around'. After one final attempt to
threaten me, she ordered the soldiers to start ­
what they had previously been ordered to do; the
soldiers came and took me off the chair. My feet
were tied to that ring as I mentioned before.
They then laid me out on my back and put the
extra shackles on top of my hand shackles and
pulled me by them forcefully and brutally in the
opposite direction, towards my feet, while I was
lying on my back. Then the investigator signalled
to a soldier who [had] a pair of scissors in his
hand to cut off all my clothes (sic). The
soldiers cut off all my clothes, removed them and
threw them in a corner of the room. The
investigator then started taking off her clothes
­ the soldier with the camera was filming
everything. When she was in her underwear, she
stood on top of me. She took off her underpants,
she was wearing a sanitary towel, and drops of
her menstrual blood fell on me and then she
assaulted me. I tried to fight her off but the
soldiers held me down with the chains forcefully
and ruthlessly so that they almost cut my hands.
I spat at her on her face; she put her hand on
her dirty menstrual blood that had fallen on my
body and wiped it on my chest. This shameless
woman was wearing a cross on a chain. The cross
had a figure of a crucified man on it. She raised
the cross and kissed it, and then she looked at
me and said that this cross was a present for you
Muslims. She stained her hands with her menstrual
blood and wiped my face and beard with it. Then
she got up, cleaned herself, put her clothes back
on and left the roomthen the soldiers took my
hands and tied them to my feet on the ground. All
the soldiers left once they had taken my clothes
from the corner of the room and left me in this
state ­ tied up, naked and smeared with []
menstrual blood... [J]ust before dawn. I was in a
hysterical state, I was in a really bad state; I
almost went mad because of what had happened, how
it had happened and why it had happened."

Al-Dossari's account is far from unique.
Treatment such as that described has been routine
at Guantánamo and other United States detention
centers in the Global War Against Terrorism.

A significant aspect of the treatment at
Guantánamo constitutes what Physicians for Human
Rights has called (in their report Break Them
Down: Systematic Use of Psychological Torture by
US Forces) "psychological torture." Included
under this term are "techniques such as sensory
deprivation, forced nudity, forced grooming,
isolation, and use of detainees' phobias, such as fear of dogs" (p. 25).

Integral to the interrogations at Guantánamo, and
to the psychological torture that commonly
occurred during them, has been the participation
of members of the so-called "helping
professions," including physicians, nurses, and
psychologists. Perhaps most innovative is the
existence of Behavioral Science Consultation
Teams, or BSCT (pronounced "biscuits" in military
jargon) consisting of psychologists and
psychiatrists participating in interrogations and
consulting on interrogation strategies for particular detainees.

A July 2004 New Yorker article by Jane Mayer
presented circumstantial evidence that these BSCT
staff received specialized training by
psychologists from the military's Survival,
Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE) program.
This SERE program teaches military officers how
to resist torture by subjecting them to a brief
period of extreme psychological abuse. At the
time of Mayer's article, hard evidence that
Guantánamo interrogators had been trained in SERE
techniques was lacking, despite the fact that top
SERE staff were kown to have consulted at
Guantánamo. Recently Salon found direct evidence
that SERE techniques were indeed taught to
Guantánamo interrogators. The Salon article
details some SERE techniques reportedly utilized
at Guantánamo (and at Abu Ghraib): "forced
nudity, stress positions, isolation, sleep
deprivation, sexual humiliation and exhaustion
from exercise." Also used were extremely loud
music and prolonged cold. Physician and
bioethicist Steven Miles has reported the
participation of BSCT psychologist Maj. John Leso
in the brutal and prolonged interrogation of
Mohammed al-Qahtani. (See also the detailed
interrogation log on al-Qahtani, referred to as
Detainee 063.) During al-Qahtani's interrogation
he was subjected to extreme cold to the point
where his heart slowed and he was hospitalized
(he was then warmed up and again subjected to
extreme cold), he was injected with several bags
of saline solution while being strapped to a
table until he urinated on himself, and he was
forced to bark like a dog; we are not told what
was done to him to get him to bark.

As the nature of the treatment of detainees at
Guantánamo was revealed, this treatment was
condemned as an illegal violation of human rights
by numerous international organizations including
the United Nations Commission on Human Rights,
the United Nations Committee Against Torture, the
European Union, the International Committee of
the Red Cross, and Amnesty International.

Al-Dossari described the involvement of
psychiatrists, other doctors, and nurses in his
interrogation. As a result of repeated accounts
like these, the American Psychiatric Association
and the American Medical Association have barred
the participation of psychiatrists and, indeed,
all medical doctors in interrogations.

Unlike the medical and psychiatric associations,
the American Psychological Association, as I
documented in my recent article, A Profession
Struggles to Save Its Soul: Psychologists,
Guantánamo and Torture, has steadfastly refused
to condemn (mis)use of psychological techniques
to break detainees at Guantánamo or elsewhere and
has consistently refused to forbid members to
participate in interrogations at these
facilities. In fact, the Association leadership
has worked persistently to protect the ability of
psychologists to participate in "national
security" interrogations, even, at times,
claiming an ethical obligation to do so to
prevent harm to society, presumably from the
"terrorists" imprisoned there for the last
four-and-a-half years. (See also Olivia
Moorehead-Slaughter's report on the Presidential
Task Force on Psychological Ethics and National
Security (PENS) she chaired: "as experts in human
behavior, psychologists contribute to effective interrogations.")

In recent months the opposition to Association
policy from within has strengthened. However,
these efforts have been limited in nature and
opponents have, in every instance, been
outmaneuvered by the Association leadership. In
addition to the disturbing events reported in my
previous article, more evidence on the
smokescreen of manipulations, distortions and
downright lies used by the Association raises
additional questions as to what the Association leadership is up to.

Ethics Code Exempts Government and Military
Employees: Endorsing the Nuremberg Defense

"Psychologists strive to benefit those with whom
they work and take care to do no harm."

-- American Psychological Association Ethical
Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct

One questionable action concerns the Association
ethics code that governs members' professional
behavior, which was changed in 2002 so as to
exempt psychologists working for the government
(including the military) from being bound by the
Association code. Thus, the 1992 code had a somewhat ambiguous clause:

"1.02 Relationship of Ethics and Law.

"If psychologists' ethical responsibilities
conflict with law, psychologists make known their
commitment to the Ethics Code and take steps to
resolve the conflict in a responsible manner."

In 2002 this clause was changed to read:

"1.02 Conflicts Between Ethics and Law,
Regulations, or Other Governing Legal Authority

"If psychologists' ethical responsibilities
conflict with law, regulations, or other
governing legal authority, psychologists make
known their commitment to the Ethics Code and
take steps to resolve the conflict. If the
conflict is unresolvable via such means,
psychologists may adhere to the requirements of
the law, regulations, or other governing legal authority."

Note that the new wording explicitly exempts
psychologists aiding torture or abuse under
military or government orders from being charged
with ethics violations as long as they can claim
they took steps to resolve the conflict. By this
change the Association in 2002 would have
implicitly endorsed the defense of Lieutenant
William Calley (convicted for ordering the My Lai
massacre), Adolf Eichmann and other Nazi war
criminals, and many others who claimed they were
simply following orders, a defense that was
rejected by the United States and the world
through the Nuremberg and other war crimes trials.

In addition to directly incorporating the
Nuremberg Defense into the ethics code, this
change also has other harmful effects. By
weakening the prohibition against acting in
conflict with the ethics code, the Association
significantly weakened the standing of any
military psychologists desiring to refuse an
immoral order or to refuse orders that violate
international law. They could no longer call upon
the ethics code as requiring refusal. While
military personnel are allowed to refuse illegal
or immoral orders, they do so at profound risk to
themselves. In the case of military psychologists
contemplating refusal of orders, the Association
has increased this risk tremendously.

This change in the Association's ethics code has
the effect of making other Association statements
on allowable psychologist behavior largely
irrelevant. Thus, statements forbidding
psychologists from participating in torture or
other abusive behavior have no standing if the
psychologists are ordered to participate by a
"governing legal authority," e.g., a commanding officer.

As long as Section 1.02 remains in the
Association ethics code, efforts to get the
Association to adopt statements on torture,
coercive interrogations and the like (see next
section) are essentially exercises in futility as
these statements would not be binding on
psychologist members working for the military or
other government agencies (e.g., the CIA).
Association critics working for such changes
should realize that they have been wasting their
time for the last several years pursuing what
would have been ineffective changes in the ethics
code. Some critics have recognized the problem
and have tried for years, unsuccessfully, to get
Section 1.02 amended to require adherence to
international human rights standards when following laws or government orders.

Given the long history of discussion of the
"following orders" defense, there is no
possibility that the Association "ethics"
leadership did not know exactly what they were
doing. The only question is why they felt the
need to build the Nuremberg Defense directly into
the ethics code. Were there particular ethics
violations they were aware of and were trying to
protect, or did they have a more general goal of
allowing free reign to psychologists enlisted in
the then-beginning "Global War on Terror?" It is
interesting that this revision occurred just as
the first information was coming out about the
torture occurring at Guantánamo and in
Afghanistan and prior to the public awareness
that psychologists were an intimate part of the interrogation apparatus there.

Revising Anti-torture Statement to Reduce Influence of International Law

"Every torturing government tries to apply a
patina of law to these crimes. Any government can
find lawyers or legislators to renounce, suspend,
or define away the world's settled opinion
opposing torture, expressed in documents like the Geneva Conventions." -

- Steven Miles, M.D., Oath Betrayed: Torture,
Medical Complicity, and the War on Terror

At the APA Convention this August, the
Association's Peace Psychology Division
introduced a resolution to reaffirm long-standing
APA opposition to torture. At the same time, this
Division and the Association's Divisions for
Social Justice (a coalition of 10 divisions
supporting social justice initiatives) declined
to put forward a resolution banning
psychologists' participation in coercive
interrogations, at least partially out of concern
that such a resolution would be defeated. Between
the final draft version of the anti-torture
resolution prepared by proponents and the version
that was actually adopted and published, crucial
wording defining proscribed behavior was changed
in a subtle, but profound way.

The original Final Draft clearly defined torture
and abuse using the United Nations Declaration
and Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel,
Inhuman, or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. It
contained the following language:

"[T]he term 'torture' means any act by which
severe pain or suffering, whether physical or
mental, is intentionally inflicted upon a person
for such purposes as obtaining from him or a
third person information or a confession,
punishing him for an act he or a third person has
committed or is suspected of having committed, or
intimidating or coercing him or a third person,
or for any reason based on discrimination of any
kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by
or at the instigation of or with the consent or
acquiescence of a public official or other person
acting in an official [e.g., governmental,
religious, political, organizational] capacity.
It does not include pain or suffering arising
only from, inherent in, or incidental to lawful
sanctions [in accordance with both domestic and international law]."

The inclusion of this statement would seem to be
a clear and unambiguous acceptance by the
Association of international law and
understandings as to what constitutes torture.

However, in the published version the following
paragraph defining "cruel, inhuman, or degrading
treatment of punishment" was added:

"BE IT RESOLVED, that the term 'cruel, inhuman,
or degrading treatment or punishment' means
treatment or punishment by any psychologist that
is of a kind that, in accordance with the McCain
Amendment, would be prohibited by the Fifth,
Eighth, and Fourteenth Amendments to the
Constitution of the United States, as defined in
the United States Reservations, Declarations and
Understandings to the United Nations Convention
Against Torture and Other Forms of Cruel, Inhuman
or Degrading Treatment or Punishment done at New York, December 10, 1984."

This all sounds relatively benign. But the phrase
"United States Reservations" should raise one's
interest. Just what are these Reservations and
what are they doing in the Association's
resolution? It turns out that, when the United
States ratified this UN Convention, the U.S.
government took steps to significantly reduce or
even eliminate its potential impact. (Several
countries, namely Sweden, the Netherlands, and
Finland took exception to the U.S. Reservations
at the time.) As I, a non-lawyer, read these
Reservations, there are two potentially relevant
clauses (Daily Kos diarist Valtin provides a
somewhat different discussion of the impact of
the second of these clauses but seems to have
missed the first). The first of these clauses states:

"That the United States considers itself bound by
the obligation under article 16 to prevent
'cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or
punishment', only insofar as the term 'cruel,
inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment'
means the cruel, unusual and inhumane treatment
or punishment prohibited by the Fifth, Eighth,
and/or Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution of the United States."

That is, for behavior not rising to the level of
"torture," U.S. ratification of this Convention
did not make anything illegal that was not
already illegal according to U.S. law. No
international understandings will be binding.
Interpretations of "cruel, inhuman, or degrading
treatment of punishment" by other countries, by
the United Nations, or by other international
organizations and institutions are irrelevant. By
this means, also, the U.S. made its obligations
under the Convention subject to the vagaries of
U.S. law in this area. If U.S. courts interpret
U.S. law as constitutionally allowing a certain
type of behavior, that behavior would then by
definition not be banned by U.S. adherence to the
Convention. As long as that behavior was not
quite "torture," it wouldn't matter if it was
proscribed by every other country on earth.
Unfortunately, it is not at all clear that the
"psychological torture" techniques used by U.S.
interrogators are violations of the U.S. Constitution.

As John Shifton argued in a recent article in
Slate (Criminal, Immunize Thyself: The Bush
administration's get out of jail card for
torturers; see also Marty Lederman: The CIA
Cruelty Authorization Act of 2006), the Bush
administration is currently pushing to amend the
U.S. War Crimes Act to legalize all abusive
behavior that fails to meet the legal definition
of torture. The added paragraph in the
Association resolution will thus pass any new
immunity down to psychologists engaged in
interrogations. As U.S. law changes with regard
to "cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment," so
potentially will the ethical obligations of psychologists.

The second potentially relevant clause in the
U.S. Reservations is concerned with limiting the
definition of the most severe behaviors, those
that are clearly proscribed by U.S. ratification of the UN Convention:

"That with reference to article 1, the United
States understands that, in order to constitute
torture, an act must be specifically intended to
inflict severe physical or mental pain or
suffering and that mental pain or suffering
refers to prolonged mental harm caused by or
resulting from (1) the intentional infliction or
threatened infliction of severe physical pain or
suffering; (2) the administration or application,
or threatened administration or application, of
mind altering substances or other procedures
calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or
the personality; (3) the threat of imminent
death; or (4) the threat that another person will
imminently be subjected to death, severe physical
pain or suffering, or the administration or
application of mind altering substances or other
procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the
senses or personality." (Emphases added)

Interestingly for psychologists, this, the
longest clause in the U.S. Reservations, is
explicitly designed to circumscribe the
definition of torture so as to exclude most
psychological torture. With the exception of
attempts to create a "profound" disruption of
"senses or the personality" or of threats to self
or others of death or severe physical pain, the
prolonged mental harm has to arise from the
infliction of "severe physical pain or
suffering." Further, the requirement of
"prolonged mental harm" allows for great
interpretive creativity. If a person recovers in
a year, or in five years, was the harm
"prolonged?" Is it OK to subject resilient
individuals to more severe treatment? Further, as
psychologists should know well, proving that a
given behavior was the cause of a given negative
psychological outcome can prove difficult, if not impossible?

The clever phrasing of this Reservation makes
sure that the types of psychological torture that
have historically been employed by the CIA and
have been utilized by the American military in
Guantánamo, Abu Ghraib, and elsewhere are not
considered to be torture. (Alfred McCoy has
detailed the critical role of psychologists in
developing these techniques.) Thus, much of the
treatment al-Dossari describes receiving or that
described in the interrogation log for al-Qahtani
would likely not be considered torture under this
definition. In fact, it appears that, according
to the US reservations, Saddam Hussein's
technique of having a man's daughter raped in
front of him would not constitute torture as long
as the daughter didn't suffer severe physical pain.

If one reads the Association resolution very
literally, it appears that this second
Reservation may not apply to the resolution, as
the document only includes the phrase "U.S.
Reservations" in the section defining "cruel,
inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment."
Thus, a lawyer might reasonably argue that these
Reservations may not apply to the definition of
torture and thus the exclusion of many forms of
psychological torture may not apply. However,
this interpretation is not certain. As Nat
Hentoff points out, the recent McCain Amendment
supposedly banning torture and cruel, inhuman, or
degrading treatment provides that the standard
applicable to accused interrogators is that a
"person of ordinary sense and understanding would
not know the practices were unlawful." Any
aspects of the new resolution which muddy its
interpretation increase the chances of such a
successful defense. At a minimum, it is extremely
disturbing that the Association would include in
its resolution any reference to the U.S.
Reservations, a document which attempts to
protect the right to use psychological torture.

The Association's Press Release, entitled
"American Psychological Association Reaffirms
Unequivocal Position Against Torture and Abuse" states:

"The Council of Representatives of the American
Psychological Association (APA) has approved a
resolution reaffirming the organization's
absolute opposition to all forms of torture and
abuse, regardless of the circumstance. The
resolution furthermore affirmed United Nations
human rights documents and conventions as the basis for APA policy."

Unfortunately, as we have seen, this new
Resolution is anything but an unequivocal
position against torture and abuse. Further,
"United Nations human rights documents," except
in the most literal sense, were decidedly not the
basis of the resolution's policy toward "cruel,
inhuman, or degrading treatment." Not
surprisingly, the Association's Military
Psychology Division, which had reportedly
succeeded in defeating a related resolution the
previous year supported this one. Further, the
Association's leadership, which has steadfastly
acted to protect psychologists' participation in
national security interrogations, threw no
roadblocks in the path to passage of this
resolution. Presumably they realized that the new
resolution was, at best, an abstract and very
equivocal public relations effort with little or
no actual impact on interrogations.

Steven Reisner, an activist against involvement
of psychologists in coercive national security
interrogations who addressed the Association
Council meeting on the issue, was mortified when
he became aware of the addition of the U.S.
Reservations to the resolution. He asserts that
he and others at the Association Council meeting
became aware of the absence of a definition of
"cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment" and that
he, in consultation with others, drafted a
"friendly amendment" tying the definition of
these behaviors to the May 2006 report of the
United Nations Committee Against Torture. When he
tried to describe it to the Council, he was cut
off by Association President Gerald Koocher,
allegedly because he was not a Council member,
even though he had earlier, by invitation,
addressed the Council on the interrogation issue.
Dr. Reisner then sought a Council member to
introduce the amendment, but was turned down by three members.

As Dr. Reisner relates in an email, there was
then a short break, "during which time a small
group changed some minor wording based on the
Council debate, which had focused on the words
'knowingly' and 'punishment.' During the break,
the resolution was revised, a new version was
typed up and printed, and placed on a table for
people who wanted to read [it]. No one raised the
idea of more specific definitions of CID ["cruel,
inhuman, or degrading treatment"] and I thought
the point was lost. The Council members
reconvened, were told about additions of one
'knowingly' and two 'or punishment's. A vote was
called and the resolution passed unanimously."
Only later did Reisner discover to his horror
that, apparently during that break, the
resolution was revised by the addition of the
U.S. Reservations, thus severely weakening it. A
number of others involved in anti-torture efforts were similarly horrified.

Others associated with the development of the
resolution from the leadership of the
Association's Peace Division have asserted that
the reference to the U.S. Reservations was
included because the Reservations contain the
only definition of "cruel, inhuman or degrading
treatment or punishment" in international law. It
appears that this absence may be intentional as
some in the human rights community feel that
there should not be an explicit definition of
these behaviors. The Peace Division leadership
has not explained how references to the American
Constitution, which has been subject to over two
hundred years of complex and ever changing
interpretation provides any kind of clear
definition for the resolution. They also have not
explained why, if they valued clarity so much,
they did not include a clear list of proscribed behaviors in the resolution.

Both the Association President, Gerald Koocher,
and its Ethics Director, Stephen Behnke, have
denied, in emails to me, having any knowledge of
these revisions or any view as to their
interpretation. Both declined to respond,
claiming lack of knowledge, to explicit questions
as to which of the clauses in the United States
Reservations were relevant to interpreting the
Association resolution. Both also denied any
intent to weaken the prohibition against torture.

If they and other Association leaders are indeed
correct that the inclusion of the U.S.
Reservations does not weaken the Resolution and
that the Association stands "unequivocally"
against torture and abusive interrogation, they
can demonstrate this by swiftly adopting new
ethics code statements that specify exactly which
interrogation techniques (e.g. waterboarding,
sleep deprivation, loud music, heat and cold,
exploitation of phobias, forced nudity, sexual
abuse, etc.) are actually proscribed. If it was
critical to include a definition of "cruel,
inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" in
the resolution, then surely it is even more
important to clearly state what is proscribed. If
Association leaders refuse to issue such a list
we should presume that the new resolution was
just a public relations gambit and the U.S.
Reservations were included to weaken, not to strengthen it.

While the Association Council overwhelmingly
adopted the equivocal anti-torture resolution
that makes no mention, in its text or in its
Justification Statement, of the reports of
psychologist participation in torture at
Guantánamo and elsewhere, only a few members of
the Association Council were willing to stand up
and propose a moratorium on psychologists'
participation in national security
interrogations. Without a bending of the rules,
any such proposal now will require at least
another year to be considered by the Association
Council. At that point it will have been almost
five years since psychologist Maj. Leso took part
in the torture of Mohammed al-Qahtani, Detainee
063. The unwillingness of the Association
leadership to unambiguously cut the ties to the torturers runs deep.

Distorting the Position of Other Organizations

"Psychologists seek to promote accuracy, honesty,
and truthfulness in the science, teaching, and practice of psychology."

-- American Psychological Association Ethical
Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct

As the criticism of the Association has mounted,
its leadership has engaged in a concerted public
relations effort. Allowing the passage at their
recent Convention of the abstract and seriously
weakened anti-torture resolution that made no
mention of the claims of psychologist
participation in abuses was one part of this
effort. Another was the repeated claim that the
Association's position did not substantively
differ from that of the American Medical
Association. This claim was asserted by
Association President Gerald Koocher in a June
16, 2006 debate on Democracy Now! But its most
full statement came in the form of an extended
comparison of the position of the Association
with those of the American Medical and
Psychiatric Associations (Ethics and
interrogations: Comparing and contrasting the
American Psychological, American Medical and
American Psychiatric Association positions) by
Stephen Behnke, Director of the Association's Ethics Office.

The AMA policy statement adopted at their June
2006 meeting states unequivocally:

"Physicians must neither conduct nor directly
participate in an interrogation, because a role
as physician-interrogator undermines the
physician's role as healer and thereby erodes
trust in the individual physician-interrogator and in the medical profession."

It further states that:

"physicians must not monitor interrogations with
the intention of intervening in the process,
because this constitutes direct participation in interrogation."

It does allow that:

"physicians may participate in developing
effective interrogation strategies for general
training purposes. These strategies must not
threaten or cause physical injury or mental
suffering and must be humane and respect the rights of individuals."

In the face of this text sounding strikingly
different than anything coming from the American
Psychological Association , Behnke states:

"the AMA report states that physicians may
consult to interrogations by developing
interrogation strategies that do 'not threaten or
cause physical injury or mental suffering' and
that are 'humane and respect the rights of
individuals.' Substitute 'psychologist' for
'physician,' and the relevant passages in the AMA
report could be inserted into the PENS report
with no change in APA's position whatsoever-that
'It is consistent with the APA Ethics Code for
psychologists to serve in consultative roles to
interrogation and information-gathering processes
for national-security related purposes' when
acting in accordance with strict conditions.
While one recommendation in the AMA report places
physician consultation in a training context,
numerous statements in the body of the report and
in the report's 'Conclusion' convey a scope of
involvement that extends well beyond training. As
one example, the AMA report states explicitly
that the presence of a psychiatrist at an
interrogation may serve to benefit the individual
under questioning by virtue of a trust that can
facilitate the interrogation, i.e.,
information-eliciting process. The AMA report
must be carefully read in its entirety to
understand and appreciate the breadth of its
position on the appropriate role for physicians in interrogations."

Thus, Behnke claims that the AMA policy
recommendations do not mean what they appear to
mean, or what they actually say. In both written
and verbal statements, AMA officials claim
otherwise. On August 22, the President of the AMA
wrote a letter to the Executive Director of
Physicians for Human Rights reiterating these differences. The letter states:

"I certainly believe that the recommendations
pertaining to the ethical role of physicians are
unambiguous. In developing its recommendations, I
know that the members of CEJA [the AMA's Council
on Ethical and Judicial Affairs] deliberated the
meaning of every word; I also know that the AMA
Code of Medical Ethics does not use the words
'must not' lightly. The guidelines, therefore,
leave no room for confusion. The AMA has adopted
a strict prohibition on physician participation
in the interrogation of an individual, and only
permits that medical knowledge be used to develop
strategies that can be presented in the context
of general training. This was clearly reiterated
in the statement the AMA released on June 12, 2006.

"The AMA is aware of the article published in the
July/August issue of the Monitor on Psychology.
We have found that the commentary analyzing the
AMA and the American Psychological Association
positions did not accurately represent our
ethical guidelines. By arguing that the two
positions are similar and by failing to point out
critical differences, we believe the readers of
the Monitor could be induced in serious error
regarding the ethically acceptable role for
physicians. For this reason, the chair of CEJA,
Dr. Robert Sade, has submitted a letter to the
editor of the Monitor to refute the proposition
that the policies are similar. In his words: 'AMA
and APA policy differ substantially in ethical
acceptability of supporting interrogation.'"

In the letter by Sade referred to, he explicitly
takes issue with Behnke's quote from the AMA
which Behnke claims allows physician participation in interrogations:

"Behnke misrepresents the substance of the AMA
guidelines when he says: '...the AMA report
states explicitly that the presence of a
psychiatrist at an interrogation may serve to
benefit the individual under questioning by
virtue of a trust that can facilitate the
interrogation.' He has taken this statement out
of its context in a discussion of potential roles
of physicians, and has failed to observe that it
is negated by the guidelines themselves."

Sade goes on to state:

"To clarify the crux of AMA's new ethical policy:
Physicians must not conduct, monitor with an
intent to intervene, or directly participate in
any way in an interrogation, because each of
these actions undermines the physician's role as
healer. Because it is often justifiable for
physicians to serve the public interest, AMA's
policy permits physicians to develop general
interrogation strategies that are not coercive,
but are humane and respect the rights of
individuals. In contrast, APA prohibits
psychologists from participating in cruel,
inhuman or degrading treatment but accepts that
they can 'serve in the role of supporting an
interrogation' and as a consultant. Thus, AMA and
APA policy differ substantially in ethical
acceptability of supporting interrogation."

(To be fair, it should be noted that Behnke, in
his original article as well as in his response
to Sade's letter, refers to the "body of the
[AMA] report" and insists that this report must
be read in its entirety. I have so far not been
able to get access to the text of this full
report. AMA officials state that the report is
being prepared for publication in a medical
journal. Most such journals have a strict policy
against publishing papers that have already been
reported in the popular press. Thus, they refuse
to release the report prior to publication (a
position I find understandable yet troubling in
matters with significant public policy import).

I was told by the AMA officials, however, that
the report has no official standing with the AMA.
Only the Recommendations were adopted by vote,
the report was not voted on but simply "filed."
These officials stated that the Recommendations
stand on their own. Only with the publication of
this full report can we be certain, but, at this
point, it certainly looks like the claim that the
Association's and AMA's policies are virtually
identical is yet another smokescreen thrown up to
obscure the Association's long-standing practice
of protecting psychologists' participating in the
abuses at Guantánamo and elsewhere.

A detailed article in Psychiatric News, a
publication of the American Psychiatric
Association (note for non-mental health
professionals: psychiatrists are medical doctors
specializing in mental health treatment,
psychologists are not medical doctors), also
tends to refute Behnke's interpretation of AMA
policy and supports the interpretation that the
AMA policy means what it appear to say: no
participation in interrogations. For example, the
article quotes Steven Sharfstein, the Psychiatric
Association's immediate past President, as saying
"I really think this is a very strong statement
that closely corresponds to and reinforces the
APA [American Psychiatric Association] position
that physicians, including psychiatrists, should
not be participating in any way in the
interrogation of individual detainees." (emphasis
added) This article also indicates that the
wording of the AMA statement was changed the day
before approval to strengthen the prohibition against physician participation:

"In a letter dated June 8, Appelbaum [chair of
the Psychiatric Association's Council on
Psychiatry and Law] wrote on behalf of APA to
members of CEJA to address concerns about the
wording of the passage as it stood at the time,
just one day prior to the opening of the AMA
meeting. It read: 'Physicians may participate in
developing effective interrogation strategies
that are not coercive but are humane and respect the rights of individuals.'

"'This language appeared to allow physicians to
consult on the planning of interrogations of
particular detainees,' Appelbaum told Psychiatric
News. 'In contrast, APA's statement explicitly
rules out advising authorities on the use of
specific techniques of interrogation with particular detainees.'

"The final wording in the CEJA report was changed
to emphasize that the development of strategies
be for 'general training purposes.'"

Why?

The pattern of behaviors going back at least to
2002 ­ documented here and in my previous article
­ by the American Psychological Association
leadership supportive of psychologist involvement
in national security interrogations strongly
suggests that sections of the leadership are
working, probably intentionally, to avoid the
development of any position, guideline, or ethics
code statement that would unambiguously forbid
members from engaging in national security
interrogation, even though these interrogations
frequently involve the kinds of psychological
torture documented as occurring at Guantánamo and
elsewhere by Physicians for Human Rights and
condemned by numerous United States and
international organizations. This effort appears
to have begun before the issue became
controversial among the membership or the public.
Thus, the 2002 ethics code revision was pushed
through before the controversy regarding health
professionals' roles in interrogation became a
major issue, resulting in pressure for
Association change. (For early works on these
issues, see 2004's New York Times article by Neil
Lewis: Red Cross Finds Detainee Abuse in
Guantánamo; 2005's Bloche & Marks: Doctors and
Interrogators at Guantánamo Bay; and Susan Okie:
Glimpses of Guantánamo - Medical Ethics and the War on Terror).

Let's put together in one place what is known
about Association protection of psychologist
participation in torture and inhumane treatment:

* 2002 ­ Ethics code changed to allow government
laws or orders to supersede psychological ethics

* 2005 ­ PENS task force formed with membership
and deliberations kept secret. Turns out
membership includes a majority of members from
the military, including several involved in
interrogations and with histories of consulting
on interrogations at Guantánamo, Abu Ghraib, and Bagram Air Base.

* 2005, June ­ PENS Task Force issues final
report concluding "It is consistent with the APA
Ethics Code for psychologists to serve in
consultative roles to interrogation and
information-gathering processes for national
security-related purposes." Also concludes that
no changes are necessary to ethics code. Fails to
even mention accusations of psychologist
participation in torture at Guantánamo. In a
highly unusual procedure, the report was
immediately adopted by the Association's Board of
Directors without the usual discussion and
approval by the broader-based Council of Representatives.

* 2005, October ­ Association President Levant
travels to Guantánamo. Praises contributions of
psychology to national security investigations.
Neglects to mention persistent reports of torture
and abuse during these interrogations.

* 2006, February ­ Incoming Association President
Koocher devotes monthly President's Column in
Association newsmagazine to defending Association
against critics. Without a shred of evidence
nastily attacks critics: "A number of
opportunistic commentators masquerading as
scholars have continued to report on alleged
abuses by mental health professionals."

* 2006, June ­ Association Ethics Director writes
article claiming there is little difference
between the position of the Association and the
AMA. In August, AMA President denies similarity.

* 2006, August ­ Association anti-torture
resolution gets surreptitiously modified, substantially weakening its meaning.

There is thus a long history of bad faith and
active efforts to resist calls for the
Association to take a clear, unequivocal stand
against psychologists' participation in coercive
national security interrogations, to respond in
any way to persistent reports of torture and
abuse during those interrogations, or to strongly
condemn psychological torture. The only
reasonable conclusion is that the Association
leadership is committed to doing everything they
can to protect psychologists' involvement in
torture under the guise of national security
interrogations. They are thus in the role of enablers of that torture.

Association critics have largely addressed this
issue as one of professional ethics. They have
been very polite, forming committees, writing
letters, introducing motions, and asking for case
examples to be added to the ethics code. At every
step these polite critics have been stymied, manipulated, and out-maneuvered.

It is time for Association critics to accept that
the issue is larger than one of ethics
statements. Yes, the Nuremberg Defense needs to
be excised from the ethics code and involvement
in national security interrogations needs to be
unambiguously banned. But reform needs to go far
deeper. There is something truly rotten in the
Association. The organization has had a
long-standing symbiotic relationship with the
American "defense" establishment which has led it
to go all out to support the participation of
psychologists in national security
interrogations, and to avoid any Association
investigation into reports of psychological
torture. Its leadership apparently has acted in
bad faith in their efforts to protect the torturers.

The leadership's actions have undermined the
faith of many Association members in the entire
Association. After my first article appeared,
many members wrote asking if it was time to
resign membership in such an organization. I
suggested that they wait, in hopes that the
Association could be changed from within. The
August Convention ­ with the Association Council
not interested in even discussing ending
psychologist participation in abusive
interrogations and the experience of an
anti-torture resolution being surreptitiously
substantially weakened ­ raises questions for me
as to whether reform is possible. It remains for
the Association's members to decide what kind of
organization we are going to allow to represent us.

At this point, mere resolutions or even a change
in the ethics code are not enough to save the
Association. Nothing less than a leadership
change in conjunction with an independent
investigation of the entire involvement of the
Association with the national security state and
its torture apparatus can possibly excise the
rot. We have learned from South Africa and Latin
America the importance of public testimony and
the pursuit of truth to the ability to
successfully move on. As psychologists we know
all too well that mental health cannot be built
on a foundation of either lies or denial.

Al-Dossari's Torment Continues

Let's return to al-Dossari's treatment

"Nurse 'Irish' and some people and soldiers from
the psychiatric clinic were waiting for me at the
camp so that they could keep me under special
guard. After that and before they removed my
shackles, a soldier with scissors came forward
and cut off my shirt and left me naked in the
metal cell under the cold air conditioner without
clothes, a pillow, a blanket, shorts, a small
plastic mat [or] even plastic bathroom slippers.
The doctor issued an order to prevent me having
these things. This happened in mid January 2004.

"The metallic cell was very cold as I have
already mentioned and the air conditioner was on
directly above the metal bed. The light in the
cell was very poor. The cell was very small: if I
got off the metal bed, the toilet was just
underneath me so I slept next to the toilet to
avoid the chill from the air conditioning.
However, I was happy when I found that there were
some other detainees in the camp. They welcomed
me dearly and they helped me. Were it not for
Allah, the Exalted, and them, I would have killed myself in that situation.

"The doctor did not allow me to have any toilet
tissue or water (as they had blocked the
washbasin), except for a glass of drinking water
if I asked for it. For more than two weeks, I
used the toilet without toilet tissue or water. I
would clean myself with water from the flush.
After that, they allowed me to have very little
toilet tissue, which was not enough at all. The
soldiers from Camp Delta [the Guantánamo prison
camp] who came especially for me harmed me a lot
and followed a set programme of harming me. They
would harass me and they would harm my food: they
would put the plate of food besides their shoes
and sometimes I had to take pieces of rubbish out
of the food. I later found out that they spat in
the water they gave me in the cup so I started to
drink and make my ablutions from the flush water.
As I mentioned before, the toilets in Camp Delta
were metallic Turkish toilets, so I would pull
the chain and put my hands next to the toilet and
cup the water in my hands and drink from it and
perform my ablutions. I had no other choice. I
did this for more than three months and when I
told the doctor that a soldier had spat in my
water and that a number of soldiers had seen this
and he had done this in front of the psychiatric
nurse, he said, 'what do you want me to do about
it?' He knew about everything that had happened
and these orders came from him, as I was later
told by a soldier (who felt sorry for me). This
doctor who had violated my rights was responsible
for the washbasin being welded shut because when
I was in the hospital, I had asked to take a
bath. He even prevented me from performing the
compulsory ghusl (full ablutions). I told him,
'when I was in the camps, I used to bath
everyday'. That was why he ordered the washbasin in my cell to be turned off."

In October 2005, Mr. al-Dossari was found by his
attorney hanging by his neck in an apparent
suicide attempt. Though other Guantánamo
detainees succeeded in their suicide attempts,
this time al-Dossari was revived in time.
Al-Dossari had left a suicide note for his attorney. In it he states:

"I hope you will always remember you met and sat
with a 'human being' called 'Jumah' who suffered
too much and was abused in his belief, self,
dignity, and also in his humanity. He was
imprisoned, tortured, and deprived from his
homeland, his family and his young daughter who
is in the most need of him for four years with no
reason or crime committed. Remember that there
are hundreds of detainees in Guantánamo Bay, Cuba
­ they are in the same situation of suffering and
misfortune. They were captured, tortured and
detained with no offense or reason. Their lives
might end like mine When you remember me in my
last gasps of life before dying, while my soul is
leaving my body to rise to its creator, remember
that the world let us and our case down."

The American Psychological Association still
believes it is appropriate for psychologists to
participate in interrogations at the institution
where, less than a year ago, Mr. al-Dossari was
tortured till he lost the will to live. Mr.
al-Dossari made at least one more suicide attempt
in 2006, his 12th. Does this constitute enough
evidence of "prolonged mental harm" to move
psychologists? Those psychologists and citizens
of goodwill who don't believe in torture as
public policy should cry out with one voice at
such indifference to human barbarity. If we fail
to act we cannot claim, as did so many Germans, "We didn't know!"

Stephen Soldz, a researcher and psychoanalyst, is
Director of the Center for Research, Evaluation,
and Program Development at the Boston Graduate
School of Psychoanalysis. He is a member of
Roslindale Neighbors for Peace and Justice and
founder of Psychoanalysts for Peace and Justice.
He maintains the
<http://psychoanalystsopposewar.org/ORR.htm>Iraq
Occupation and Resistance Report web page. He can
be reached at: <mailto:ssoldz at bgsp.edu>ssoldz at bgsp.edu.