[News] Alicia Jrapko - Presente!

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 12 13:30:30 EST 2022

ALICIA JRAPKO, PRESENTE!
NATIONAL NETWORK ON CUBA NEWS AND UPDATES

View this email in your browser
<https://mailchi.mp/b6af01e5a282/aliciajrapkopresente?e=e0105fb008>

  **

  Alicia Jrapko, PRESENTE!

(1953 -2022)

*Dear colleagues and friends,*
With deep sorrow and on behalf of her family, we announce that our dear
colleague, sister and friend Alicia Jrapko, left this January 11 at
night, after fighting a cruel disease for more than two years. Despite
the harsh treatment she never stopped working as much as she could. If
Alicia regretted something, it was not being able to continue
contributing, loving and living with the energy that always
characterized her.

Alicia was a great Argentine revolutionary, the daughter of workers who
from a very young age took on the struggles of a generation that dreamed
of building an Argentina with social justice for the people. Alicia said
in an interview… /in Latin America a great admiration was forged for
Cuba, for Fidel, Raúl, Che and so many other revolutionaries. In
Argentina we wanted the same, but it was not achieved and a large part
of my generation lost their best children. /

//

Alicia was born on January 1, 1953 in Merlo, Buenos Aires province, grew
up and was educated in Córdoba, where she studied journalism.
Argentina's military dictatorship imposed in 1976 unleashed a fierce
repression against all popular militants. Thirty thousand were
detained-disappeared, including many of Alicia's classmates. She could
not finish her degree, and with the clothes she was wearing, in the same
year '76, she had to go into exile.

Each of Alicia's three children bears the middle name of her missing
comrades: Gabriela Emma, ​​Eileen Mabel, and Juan Alberto.

For several years she lived in exile in Mexico, then she settled in the
United States, the most difficult and at the same time the most
necessary country to support the causes of Latin America and fight
against imperialism... /it was difficult to understand the aggression,
the lies and the attacks against Cuba by the media and the government./

//

//

//

Alicia was committed to the struggles of American workers. In the early
1990s through Cuba solidarity work with *IFCO-*Pastors for Peace, where
she worked closely with Reverend Lucius Walker as his West Coast
coordinator, Alicia helped organize and promote scholarships so that
African-American and Latino students could attend the Escuela
Latinoamericana de Medicina (ELAM) free of charge to become doctors in
their communities. Her solidarity work brought her closer to Cuba every
day; She became a spokesperson for many Pastors' caravans that traveled
thousands of miles across the United States to counter the U.S.
government's lies against the island, while collecting humanitarian aid
as a symbol of solidarity with the Cuban people. «/We knew that the
humanitarian aid that we brought to Cuba was symbolic, but we wanted to
show that the U.S. government could not block solidarity between
peoples. And we wanted to show that Cuba was not alone. The experience
of traveling to Cuba in the Pastors for Peace caravans changed my life
forever and brought me closer to Cuba and its people/,” she said in an
interview.

In the year 2000 Alicia was at the forefront of the battle for the
return of Elián González together with his father in Cuba, but her
fundamental work is in the fight for the liberation of the Five Cuban
Patriots, unjustly imprisoned for monitoring the activity of terrorists.
in the United States against Cuba.

With determination and unparalleled courage, Alicia assumed the
leadership of the International Committee for the Freedom of the Five in
the United States, and managed to get trade unionists, religious
leaders, congressmen, jurists, intellectuals, actors and artists to join
the campaign for the release of the anti-terrorist Cubans *Gerardo
Hernández Nordelo, Ramón Labañino Salazar, Antonio Guerrero Rodríguez,
Fernando González Llort*and *René González Sehwerert.*

 From 2002 until his freedom in 2014, regardless of the risks and the
enormous distances, together with her partner in struggle and dreams,
Bill Hackwell, she visited Gerardo Hernández more than a hundred times
in two maximum security federal prisons, and was the constant and
affectionate support of family visits.

Alicia's enormous work and political commitment transcended before the
Cuban people who conferred several distinctions on her, among them the
Félix Elmuza Medal granted by the Union of Journalists of Cuba, the Coat
of Arms of the city of Holguín and the Friendship Medal granted by the
Council of State of the Republic of Cuba through the Cuban Institute of
Friendship with the Peoples – ICAP --, for their immense work during the
long years of struggle for the freedom of the Five.

Alicia strongly supported the Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela, the
legacy of Hugo Chávez and President Nicolás Maduro.

The pages would not be enough to describe the enormous work that this
brave woman carried out with extraordinary modesty, simplicity, dignity
and fidelity, with all her energies put *at*the service of human
improvement throughout her precious life.

Since 2011 Alicia has been the co-chair of the National Network on Cuba
(NNOC). She was coordinator of the International Committee for Peace,
Justice and Dignity of the Peoples in the United States and founder and
co-editor of ResumenLatinoamericano in English. She created the U.S.
chapter of the Network in Defense of Humanity and was a member of its
General Secretariat. In her last project, despite being ill, Alicia was
co-chair of the Nobel Committee of the Henry Reeve Cuban Medical
Brigade, as one more effort in her tireless fight against the criminal
blockade of Cuba.

Her name, Alicia, means truth. That truth was carried as a flag by our
dear Ali throughout her life, the truth of the people against injustice,
the truth, honesty, dignity and modesty of true revolutionaries, capable
of giving everything, without any other ambition or personal motive.
Alicia's leadership style attracted people to her and the fights she
led, always with her big smile and sincerity, earning everyone's respect.

She honored us with her friendship and affection, with her enormous
courage. And she leaves us all in this infinite sadness, but with her
example of life, struggle, nobility, dignity and hope.

All our love goes to Gabriela, Eileen and Juanito, her beloved children,
to her beloved life partner Bill Hackwell, her six grandchildren, the
youngest Che Simón, born this January 5, whom she was unable to see or
hold in her arms, but from whom she heard an audio of his cry for the
future with a big smile; to her dear brother in Argentina, family,
friends and colleagues in the United States.
We will never forget you soulmate, sister more sister and dearest.
*Goodbye Ali Dear! You will always be present! Ever onward to victory!*
/Gerardo Hernandez Nordelo, Graciela Ramirez Cruz./
https://www.cubaenresumen.org/2022/01/alicia-jrapko-presente/
<https://NNOC.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6d8991244730209b3779aa6ae&id=2322b512ec&e=e0105fb008>

Facebook
<https://NNOC.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6d8991244730209b3779aa6ae&id=a810548700&e=e0105fb008>

Twitter
<https://NNOC.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6d8991244730209b3779aa6ae&id=a3552b1a77&e=e0105fb008>

Website <NNOC.info>

/Copyright © 2022 National Network on Cuba, All rights reserved./
You participated in a webinar or other activity concerning U.S. policy
regarding Cuba.

*Our mailing address is:*
National Network on Cuba
PO Box 22455