[News] Wet’suwet’en Water Protectors Evade RCMP as Police Mobilize For Raid

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Jan 5 10:52:12 EST 2022

counterpunch.org
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/01/05/wetsuweten-water-protectors-evade-rcmp-as-police-mobilize-for-raid/>

  Wet’suwet’en Water Protectors Evade RCMP as Police Mobilize For Raid

January 5, 2022

Media contact: Jennifer Wickham, Gidimt’en Checkpoint Media Coordinator
yintahaccess at gmail.com

Unceded Gidimt’en Territory, Smithers (BC):Two weeks after Wet’suwet’en
water protectors evicted Coastal GasLink workers and occupied a key
pipeline drill site, water protectors executed a strategic retreat to
avoid arrest and violence at the hands of dozens of militarized RCMP.
Before a large scale mobilization by police, water protectors vanished
into the woods, evading police violence and criminalization. We expect
an imminent assault on our people at the direction of Coastal GasLink as
we continue to occupy and utilize our yintah.

“Our warriors are not here to be arrested. Our warriors are here to
protect the land and the water, and will continue to do so at all
costs,” stated Sleydo’ (Molly Wickham), a wing chief of the Cas Yikh
people.  “Every time that the RCMP, the C-IRG, has come in to enforce
CGL’s injunction they have done violence against our women. They have
imprisoned our Indigenous women and our warriors. We will not allow our
people to be political prisoners.”

For the fourth time in four years, the RCMP appeared to mobilize for a
large-scale assault on unceded Wet’suwet’en land, booking dozens of
hotel rooms to bring police from throughout the province to facilitate
pipeline construction and to assert control over unceded lands at
gunpoint. Water protectors have blocked drilling beneath Wet’suwet’en
headwaters for more than 70 days. In the last couple of days there have
been increased patrols by non-local RCMP, C-IRG, and helicopter
surveillance over private Wet’suwet’en residences far from any project
worksites.

After the first 56 day occupation, RCMP made 30 arrests before escorting
Coastal GasLink workers into Coyote Camp to bulldoze and burn down
several cabins, homes, and structures. Within a month, land defenders
retook the site, once again evicting CGL workers and blockading the
drill pad. Arrests were also made at Gidimt’en Checkpoint, a
re-occupation of our traditional village site on Cas Yikh yintah that is
not impeding Coastal GasLink work.

“We know that we have to uphold our responsibilities, and no matter how
much they try to beat us down we will never forget who we are as
Wet’suwet’en people. We will always uphold our responsibilities to
Wedzin Kwa, to our yintah and to all of the future generations,” stated
Sleydo’.

Wet’suwet’en people have never ceded or surrendered the 22,000km^2  of
traditional Wet’suwet’en land to British Columbia or Canada, and have
proven in the Supreme Court of Canada that Wet’suwet’en ownership of
this land remains unextinguished. Our hereditary chiefs fought for years
within colonial courts to protect our yintah as they have done on the
land since time immemorial. Under Anuc nu’at’en (Wet’suwet’en law),
House Chiefs representing each impacted Wet’suwet’en group have banned
Coastal GasLink from Wet’suwet’en lands, and in 2020 issued an eviction
notice to the company that remains in effect.

Since 2019 the RCMP have spent over $20 million criminalizing
Wet’suwet’en authority over  our lands, deploying in military garb with
drones, helicopters, ATVs, snowmobiles, mobile command centers, and K-9
units. RCMP have pointed sniper rifles and assault weapons at unarmed
Indigenous people, and used physical and psychological torture
techniques on water protectors engaged in non-violent civil
disobedience.  To date, police have made 79 arrests, including four
Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs.

“I don’t think Coastal Gaslink, the government, or the police understand
that the Wet’suwet’en have been here for thousands of years. Despite all
the money  and effort C-IRG and CGL utilize in an effort to get rid of
us, we are never going away. Ever,” says Sleydo’.

Media Backgrounder – Wet’suwet’en 101:
https://www.yintahaccess.com/media-background
<http://report.mnb.email/t.js?s=61d515335e1cd93c462b055f&u=45670416&v=3&key=1fd6&skey=59fa7f5d8c&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yintahaccess.com%2Fmedia-background>