[News] Google’s anti-Palestinian worker repression - #NoTechForApartheid campaign

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Aug 30 19:40:52 EDT 2022

MPower Change

Huge news just broke.

*Today, tech worker organizer Ariel Koren, active in our
#NoTechForApartheid campaign, resigned from Google*. Her resignation
letter cited Google’s retaliation and the silencing of Palestinian,
Muslim, Arab, Jewish, and other workers speaking up for Palestinian
freedom at the company.

*Make noise by sharing this huge moment in the No Tech for Apartheid
campaign on Twitter
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63417?t=1&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>
and on Facebook
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63427?t=2&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>. *

<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63417?t=3&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>

The New York Times spoke to workers like Ariel organizing against a $1
billion contract with the Israeli military and apartheid government that
enables surveillance and violence against Palestinians.//

For the first time, Palestinian workers at Google publicly described the
retaliation they’ve faced: "*Project Nimbus makes me feel like I am
making my living off my family’s oppression," one of them said.* But if
they speak out, they face retaliation and threats of termination from
Google.^1

*Google and Amazon workers are organizing against corporate contracts
that fuel **Israeli apartheid and state violence, *and our solidarity
with these workers is a show of power that increases the pressure to cut
these contracts.

Google is trying to silence workers to protect their business interests,
but *next week, we’re turning up the pressure in solidarity with tech
workers by holding direct actions at Google and Amazon offices across
the country. *

*If you live in San Francisco, Seattle, or New York City, RSVP here to
join a No Tech For Apartheid action next Thursday, September 8th!*
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63414?t=4&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>

Tech worker organizing pressures Google and Amazon to end their contract
with the Israeli military and government. Their divestment demands are
clear: either stop harming Palestinians or face a devastating public
relations and labor crisis.

As Ariel told the Times: "When Google and other folks retaliate against
workers, it’s about creating a culture of fear. I think the opposite is
true in this case — more workers took a stand."

*Amazon and Google want to believe they can get out of this by pushing
workers out and creating a culture of fear to stifle worker organizing.
*Let’s make sure they know it’s not going to be that easy to avoid
accountability.

*Join us at a #NoTechForApartheid Day of Action next week*
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63414?t=5&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>*,
*or if you don’t live in any of these key tech hubs, join us by making
noise on social media
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63428?t=6&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn> today.

Thanks for all you do to further justice.

In solidarity,

Lau, Granate, Linda, and the MPower Change team

Sources:

1. “Google Employee Who Played Key Role in Protest of Contract With
Israel Quits
<https://act.mpowerchange.org/go/63415?t=7&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>,”
/The New York Times/, Aug. 30, 2022.

Donate to MPower Change
<https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mpower?t=8&refcode2=9507_4005_VBkoQn&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>
MPower Change Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/MPowerChange> MPower
Change Twitter <https://twitter.com/mpower_change> MPower Change
Instagram <https://www.instagram.com/mpowerchange/>

MPower Change is a grassroots movement of diverse Muslim communities
working together to build social, spiritual, racial, and economic
justice for all people. Support our work.
<https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/mpower?t=9&refcode2=9507_4005_VBkoQn&akid=9507%2E4005%2EVBkoQn>