[News] Leading Puerto Rican activists celebrate governor's resignation, talk next steps

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 25 15:56:36 EDT 2019

https://wagingnonviolence.org/2019/07/puerto-rico-protests-ricardo-rossello-resignation-activists-next-steps/

  Leading Puerto Rican activists celebrate governor's resignation, talk
  next steps

Matt Meyer -  July 25, 2019

By all accounts, the shutdown of Puerto Rico’s industries, schools,
government and business-as-usual on Monday was an unexpected show of
popular sentiment
<https://www.democracynow.org/2019/7/23/puerto_rico_protests_ricardo_rossello_seg1>
against ruling Gov. Ricardo Rosselló. It was a true national strike,
spreading from the capital in San Juan to all other major cities like
Mayaguez, Ponce and Aguadilla.

While Rosselló was resistant to the initial calls and protests demanding
his immediate resignation last week — following leaks that revealed
misogynist and homophobic remarks he had made in private — the embattled
leader finally succumbed on Wednesday night, announcing that he would
step down
<https://www.democracynow.org/2019/7/25/headlines/puerto_rico_gov_ricardo_rossello_resigns_amid_mass_protests>
next Friday.

Despite this success for half a million people who made Monday’s
national strike possible, longtime Puerto Rican activists have been
quick to assert that Rosselló’s resignation — and the fissures revealed
by his blunders — will not easily be reconciled by minor reforms or
proclamations.

“In our history, I don’t think there has been a moment like this one,”
noted 76-year-old Oscar Lopez Rivera, widely regarded as the elder
statesman of the island
<https://wagingnonviolence.org/2017/06/honoring-oscar-lopez-rivera/>.
“Even before the governor announced his resignation, the fact is that he
was not governing Puerto Rico.”

Lopez Rivera, who was called the “Mandela of the Americas” throughout
Latin America during his more than 35 years behind bars for supporting
independence, has been living and working in San Juan since winning
clemency in 2017.

“Many members of Rosselló’s own party, the pro-statehood New Progressive
Party were not responding to him,” Lopez Rivera said. “The demands
Puerto Ricans are making right now go beyond the call for his
resignation: Puerto Ricans want the house of corruption, known as the
legislature, to be cleaned out. They want the elimination of the Fiscal
Control Board [created by the Obama administration to oversee the
island’s economic affairs] and for the odious debt to be audited. Puerto
Ricans want all public schools to remain public and those that were
closed to be re-opened.”

Women’s rights organizer Onelia Perez Rivera agreed that Rosselló’s
resignation would not stop the momentum behind these struggles, noting
“This protest movement isn’t headed by traditional leaders or by
conventional left sectors. Young people are here, but also entire
families have responded to the call with great creativity!”

Perez Rivera, a leading force behind the long-standing empowerment
association Centro Mujer Barranquitas
<https://www.facebook.com/centromujer.barranquitas>, said that while she
and other well-known progressive voices were consulted — due to their
longstanding and respected critiques of the colonial and capitalist
system that rules the island — it was the youth who made the protests
happen. They were the originators, and their outrage was centered on a
clear understanding that the people will not stand for the corruption
and indignities of the past.

“Even though we still may not know how to build the new society we want
to freely live in, we are feeling it! And it feels good,” she said.

Campaign for Human Rights activist Luis Rosa echoed Perez Rivera’s
sentiments, saying, “Rosselló’s resignation must be seen as a victory
for the will of the people, a newly found or rediscovered victory of a
new generation.”

The former political prisoner — who was freed in 1999 after a massive
international campaign — then offered some perspective: “Those seeking
to replace Rosselló will promise a world of change, creating compacts
with community base organizations and proposing everything right up to
the border of revolutionary change. But the people are clear that the
core of what we need are three basic things: decolonization, an end to
our colonial status through a constitutional assembly; health care, free
for all Puerto Rican citizens; and free public education up through the
university level.”

Rosa is calling for the creation of a far-reaching think tank that could
script out a strategy for the work of achieving liberation. “Let us
create projects that can take independence out of the realm of the
abstract and intangible or unexplainable,” he said. “We are building
something we can use to break the fear of change.”

With a national general strike being arguably the greatest weapon an
occupied and oppressed people can use to overthrow repressive regimes,
Monday’s dramatic strike was not the only contemporary Puerto Rican
demonstration numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Huge mobilizations
have also taken place in response to the privatization and selling of
Puerto Rico’s nationalized electric industry, U.S. military bombings of
neighboring Vieques and the incarceration of Puerto Rican political
prisoners.

While the hyper-colonial nature of Puerto Rico’s specific relationship
to the United States may lead the course of “regime change” down a
convoluted path, there are few Americans who understand the intricacies
of Puerto Rico’s current “free associated state” status. Even most
progressive people are barely aware that the U.S. occupation of Puerto
Rico began with direct marine intervention in 1898, and that the U.S.
military still occupies choice lands throughout the archipelago.

What’s more, Puerto Ricans have been drafted to serve in the U.S. Armed
Forces and sent disproportionately to the front lines of U.S. wars —
despite the fact that they cannot vote in U.S. presidential elections,
have no representation in Congress, and face harsh and extreme
repression when they exercise rights that may contradict the wishes of
Washington, D.C. As recently as June 24, the United Nations Special
Committee on Decolonization noted
<https://www.un.org/press/en/2019/gacol3337.doc.htm> that “political
insubordination” on the part of the colonial United States “impedes
Puerto Rico’s ability to tackle its serious economic and social problems.”

It is therefore not difficult to sympathize with Oscar Lopez Rivera in
his assertion that those who took part in the strike — led in large part
by young women
<https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vb9w9x/these-puerto-rican-women-have-had-it-with-rossellos-corruption-and-lewd-texts>
— understood that “they were the majority” and that, by shouting for an
end to the ways things have been, “they were decolonizing themselves.”

According to Lopez Rivera, Puerto Ricans are calling for “a total
transformation towards a free and independent nation. And what we are
witnessing is a movement that can’t be stopped.” Ultimately, he
concluded, “Puerto Rico will be the nation it has the potential of
becoming.”

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/