[News] A Remembrance of John and Bunchy

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 17 12:21:55 EST 2019

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ericka-huggins/a-remembrance-of-john-and-bunchy/10156388375853978/*

A Remembrance of John and Bunchy*

Ericka Huggins <https://www.facebook.com/Ericka-Huggins-15875623977/>-
Thursday, January 17, 2019
<https://www.facebook.com/notes/ericka-huggins/a-remembrance-of-john-and-bunchy/10156388375853978/>

John Huggins, Jr and Alprentice “Bunchy” Carter were both leading
members of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Black Panther Party, and they
were new students at UCLA. John was 23 and Bunchy was 26. I remember
them every day. And today is the day that, 50 years ago, on January 17,
1969, their lives ended on the campus of the University of California at
Los Angeles, in Campbell Hall.

There are people I’ve met for the first time, and feel that I’ve known
them forever. John Huggins and Bunchy Carter were two of these splendid
people.

In 1967 I met John. We were students at Lincoln University, a Historical
Black University in Pennsylvania. We always bumped into each other, and
each time we stopped and talked. We spoke about the poverty around the
world and about the pervasive racism in the US—not just the South, but
also the North, the West, and the East. We shared our dreams for a world
without hate and war. I learned that John came from New Haven,
Connecticut. A natural leader, John was an activist long before I met
him, interested in changing discrepancies in the treatment of poor and
black communities in Connecticut and beyond.

John joined the US Navy after high school. While he was on a ship, he
heard about the killing of four little girls, Addie Mae Collins, Denise
McNair, Carole Robertson and Cynthia Wesley. They were killed inside the
16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama in 1963. Ku Klux Klan
members opposed to school desegregation bombed the church, destroying
the lives of those sweet girls and their families—and shaking up the
lives of all of us who knew. Hearing about the deaths of those children,
John was so hurt that he wanted to return to the states, and serve his
people, all people of color, at home. Our generation of young people
could no longer tolerate the ongoing violations of civil and, HUMAN
rights. So many of us were being called to respond--and we showed up—all
over the world.

John was wise for his years, and he was also self-assured. He was a
perfect combination of pride in himself, and heightened sensitivity. I
believe he was born that way. I’m sure that, this self-assuredness
helped him to survive life on a Navy ship. He once said to me, “I both
joined and left the Navy because I was tired of being told where to be,
what to learn, who to be, what to think.” After we’d been together a
little while our love, rooted in friendship, made us inseparable. And,
from the very beginning of our short life together, John and I loved
each other, unconditionally.

While on campus John and I read a Ramparts Magazine article, about the
Black Panther Party for Self Defense, and the jailing of Huey P, Newton,
co-founder and leader of the party. We decided to join this
organization. The main purpose of the party was to empower communities
of color to reclaim the right to determine their destiny. John and I
left Lincoln together, and drove from Manhattan to LA in time for the
rally to “Free Huey” in the fall of 1967. We joined the Black Panther
Party within a month. John loved people and cared for them directly. One
day months later, as I entered a moment of despair, feeling that I was
not able to do more to transform the hatred and cruelty in the world,
John quietly said to me, “Before you can make revolution in society, you
must first make revolution in yourself.” I was immediately uplifted by
his compassionate words.
As soon as John and I joined the party in November 1967, we heard again
and again about Alprentice “Bunchy” Carter. He was a gracious man, a
natural leader of the LA chapter of the Black Panther Party. The day we
met Bunchy I found in him the older brother I never had. His respect for
me as a woman and as a comrade was inspiring. Bunchy moved through life
with a sense of his own worth, his value and heritage. In his presence I
often felt my value and worth. Often, when people asked his name, he
would say, looking proudly and directly into their eyes, “ I’m Bunchy.
Like a bunch of greens!” He was disarming.

Bunchy was formally the leader of the Slausons, a LA community
institution. He became a Black Panther Party member in prison. He
educated himself there, and then educated many of the Slausons,
encouraging them to serve the people, by joining the BPP. This is
important. Bunchy knew that those of us who live in conditions of
structural poverty and government sanctioned violence, cycle through
communities—lacking in housing, health care, food and education—to the
prisons. He knew that educating himself was crucial. He knew that
educating those incarcerated with him was empowering and powerful.
Bunchy knew that thousands of young black and brown men and women live
in these invisible communities, hidden behind concrete and steel walls.

Why not organize them?

Decades later I listened to research, collected in the city of LA and
presented in South Central LA. One significant fact stood out to me:
 From the mid-1900’s to the 1980’s, in LA, whenever social movements
were on the rise, gang activity decreased. Conversely when gang activity
is on rise, social movement decreases.
Bunchy was eloquent, well read, and fiercely astute. The professors who
taught me at Lincoln couldn’t hold a candle to Bunchy’s self-taught
knowledge of African History, the history of Africans in the US, and the
group fear we call racism. In political education classes Bunchy let us
know, some of us for the first time, that Africa was a powerful and
thriving civilization. The cultures of the continent were beautiful
before colonization, before the Mid-Atlantic slave trade. He let us know
that though our African-American ancestors had been enslaved, but we
were not slaves. Many of us carried that focus with us into our party
work. I did.

Both John and Bunchy were amazing intellects. They did not, however,
become students at UCLA only to get a degree. They registered in 1968
with the intention to uplift students of color, especially black and
brown students. They were there to support the hiring of more black and
brown faculty and staff, and to create community on the very white UCLA
campus of 1968. The BPP was serious about organizing all of the segments
of our communities, the working poor, the unemployed and those
considered “unemployable”. Bunchy and John knew that people living in
conditions of poverty as well as the arts and the intelligentsia all
have a great role to play in the creation of a new world. Creative
thinkers and doers can give back to their communities.
This was a small part of the work that Bunchy and John were doing as
party members. They organized the LA chapter. Like me, they taught
political education classes. Both of them spoke at LA high schools, and
people on the streets of LA. They were the inspiration for the community
survival programs later created by the Black Panther Party chapter, in
Los Angeles. We knew that the government forces at play stalked and
jailed up standers like us. Is it any wonder that that the FBI put a
mark on Bunchy and John? They were a powerful duo, threatening to those
who fear change.

John and I lived in a house where many people shared meals and good
company. Bunchy visited often, and, like a big brother, he always
checked on me. I was pregnant, and I worked for the party while carrying
my daughter, John’s daughter. I remember how kind Bunchy was during that
time. He strongly suggested that I rest. He made sure that I had
everything I needed.

In December 1968 when our beautiful daughter was born, John spent time
with her, each day, on a break in party work. I know that John was aware
that he could die. We didn’t have to say it aloud. The life we lived,
prompted me to wonder how I would live without the precious friendship
of Bunchy, and the safe haven that was John.

These incredibly big hearted men will always live in our memories: for
their easy laughter, their kind words and brave ways, their wisdom in a
challenge, and their gentleness with a child or an elder. It doesn’t
matter how many years go by. John and Bunchy’s families will love them
always: their sisters, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles--and their
children, grandchildren, countless friends and comrades.

John Huggins and Bunchy Carter live in our hearts.

One of the simple, true things I’ve learned in my years on the planet
is: Tell the people seated in your heart that you love them, while they
are alive.

— ericka huggins, 1.17.19

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/