[News] Reginald Major- Living Long, Living Well

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Jun 24 11:24:31 EDT 2011

Reginald Major- Living Long, Living Well

by
<http://www.redroom.com//blog/devorah-major/reginald-major-living-long-living-well>devorah
major
http://www.redroom.com/blog/devorah-major/reginald-major-living-long-living-well

June 23, 2011, 5:59 pm

Reginald W. Major February 8, 1926 to June 20, 2011

New York born Carribean man, family man, author, journalist,
professor, political activist (progressive, radical, revolutionary as
the times and his own consciousness guided). A Harlem raised
Pan-African humanist, drafted World War II Navy Veteran (yeoman based
in South Pacific) he attended the University of Chicago and graduated
with a B.A. in Sociology. He met my mother, Helen, who was attending
Roosevelt College at the time, and they had two children, my older
brother David born in Chicago, and me two years later in Berkeley,
because my father thought California was the better place to raise to
Black children of mixed origin. (We were always raised as who we
were, people of color.) After holding a multitude of jobs, he was
quick with tongue and fist and always demanded to be treated with
respect and dignity, he became one of California's first
African-American, (I think the newspaper said Negro) Driver License
Examiners and then later a DIA II (Driver Improvement Analyst). All
the while he was a writer having sold his first short story (Sic Fi I
believe) in the early 1950's. He had some stories published, two
books A Panther is a Black Cat,
<http://aalbc.com/writers/blackclassic.htm>http://aalbc.com/writers/blackclassic.htm
the first history of the Black Panther Party for Self Defense written
by someone who was neither a Panther or a member of Cointelpro. This
has recently been re-released by Black Classic Books (Thank you Paul
Coates).
<http://www.blackclassicbooks.com/servlet/StoreFront>http://www.blackclassicbooks.com/servlet/StoreFront
Later he had Justice in the Round, a book about the Angela Davis
trial published by Third Press in New York. He became a regular
contributor to Africa News and Africa Today, wrote stories for
Pacific News Service and was a stringer for the New York Times. One
of my favorite articles by him is a piece he did on Geronimo Pratt
for Emerge Magazine. It is one of the pieces in the "Best of" anthology.

But before, during and around all of that he was also an activist. He
worked with Dr Nathaniel (Nat) Burbridge and the NAACP as Education
Director. He was one of the architects of the Auto row boycott that
brought Black salesmen to Van Ness Street auto dealerships, the
Sheraton Palace Hotel sit-in, which helped Blacks get hired in white
collar hotel jobs, and the demonstrations, and future solutions, only
partially implemented at the Board of Education in S.F. that helped
to more fully integrate S.F. schools. He worked on African freedom
projects including support for Zimbabwe, Angola and, of course, South
Africa. He worked with members of the Revolutionary Communist Party
(with members not as a member, ultimately my father has always said
that he was an anarchist who understood working in coalition with
like minded people facing the same direction) in work they were doing
in Peru. He was also the first director of the Educational
Opportunity Program (EOP) at San Francisco State College creating a
program that included EOP classes to bring students up to speed in
college so that ultimately the graduation rate of those EOP students
surpassed the general college graduation rate. I believe he was there
about three years (1969-72) He and six other Black administrators
ended up in a mass resignation because of racist policies that were
gutting his and other programs. Later he became a popular professor
at SF State University working in the Black Studies department and
teaching classes such as Critical Thinking and The History of Black
Music, and the History of Black Film. I have said nothing about his
life and who he was and left out so much. I know he started a
magazine at one point with Mill Tuitt and Jamie Jamerson. I know he
used to load up Black children (I was grown by then) and take them
out camping. I know he worked on myriad projects, was on television
and radio for various news stories, narrated a film about Black
Cowboys, and did far, far more. More recently Reggie was a board
member for the Educultural Foundation,
<http://www.educulturalfoundation.org/>http://www.educulturalfoundation.org/
the Lea's (Babtunde and Jenny) Arts Education foundation. (Tunde's cd
tribute to Leon Thomas with a wonderful rendition of "The Creator Has
a Master Plan" was one of the last CD's he heard. I know he loved and
was loved by so many people, as friend, as mentor, as artist, and
lover of life.

For me he was my father and until the end loved me, taught me, guided
me and showed me how to suck the sweet out of the marrow of life.
When he finally let his heart wind down and stop unable to recover
from the fall started by a major February stroke it was only after
tasting the last few drops of sweet he could reach toward with his
pain filled limbs- A wonder of a meal from Claremont Moore, a bad
joke from me, some time in the sun on the deck of the quite wonderful
University Mount Ladies Home Hospice (how could my father the flirt
not end up in a hospice that was also an assisted living space for
women.) When spirit lifted from his body he left a handsome corpse.

The visitors who made it by the hospice these last three weeks really
lifted him and made his crossing easier. Of course there was the Cali
family, but also many thanks to Alma and Toye, Arthur, Claremont,
Doug & Paulette, Emory, Kathy, Lucky, Marilyn, and Stephanie. If I
have forgotten anyone, please forgive me. Thank you too.

My father's roots were thick and long and he loved and held close,
despite the miles, to our strong and proud Bahamian family. From my
brother and I came seven grandchildren and eleven great-grands with a
twelfth on the way. We are all reeling as he was the patriarch. He
was the last surviving brother of four, and held much love for his
niece and nephew and grandnephews as well as his one remaining
sister-in-law. The family is planning a celebration of my father and
his life the end of July. (He made me promise on the burying of Uncle
George in the Bahamas that no one would speak over his corpse and
that we would not have a typical memorial) There will be a small
private ceremony that will include the burying of his ashes the day
before, and a larger public event the following day. As soon as I
have a time and place I will be among those putting the word out.

Please forgive this quick and awkward account. I needed to get something out.

One love,

devorah
*****************************
Reginald W. Major February 8, 1926 to June 20, 2011

New York born Carribean man, family man, author, journalist,
professor, political activist (progressive, radical, revolutionary as
the times and his own consciousness guided).
Author of A Panther is a Black Cat (a history of the Black Panther
Party) and Justice in the Round a history and investigation of the
Angela Davis trial and countless articles in magazines,. Journals,
anthologies, etc. If you want to know more about him I have the few
words I have been able to pull together on my redroom blog page
<http://www.redroom.com/author/devorah-major>http://www.redroom.com/author/devorah-major

Meanwhile a couple of poems- one from 2009 one from this Spring

one love,

devorah

swimming at the pool with great-grandpa reggie
for omari and reg

O comes to the car with smiles
swallowing all the
rain softened air around him
gray turning bright with the shine.

the pool was warm, he agrees.
his words a flowing stream-
he avoided the deep end
left the elders "their space"
and instead enjoyed
shallow water somersaults
while learning some of the guys'
names
nick and joe.

one of them just floated,
floated and slept.
"I guess some old people
like to just do that
in a pool-
sleep and float," he breathes in
eleven-year old amazement.

and then without pause
he explains
how he taught himself
to swim underwater
for longer.
a matter, he says,
of his "state of mind"
needing to just go in
deeper and deeper

why
he then asks me

as he comes up for air
amidst this telling

did the woman
in the pool
call grandpa reggie
lazarus

i smile,"did he laugh?"
"yeah" O replies
still asking

(ah, how to explain
that his great-grandfather has indeed
unwrapped death's boney grip
from his heart
more than once.

true, there was no tomb
and we will not debate
about jesus or
the ever seen sparrow)

"great-grandpa reggie
he just keeps rising up
again and again,"
i answer.

devorah major

***

stroke journey

1.
thick
cold and blinding
white
strangely dry

there is no self
arms, legs, breath, thought
disappear

endless flat expanses
no trees
no rivers or seas
no points from which to navigate

no color but white

whose lips that slur and groan
whose eyes that will not stay open
whose legs that cannot walk
whose mind that cannot remember

where is he

2.
red the fear
red the tears
red the frustration
red the fury
red the resolve

a face comes into view
there is love
it is red and it pulses

3.
once there were
letters words phrases
codes broken at a glance
now hieroglyphics turned to
ideogram turned to cyrillic
transformed to child scribbles
haunting
in their mystery

where does a writer go
when there are no words
that can be read
only symbols written
in an alien tongue

my life he cries
this is my life
inside these words
I cannot read
around these letters
I do not know

my life

4.
he does not reach for the past
it is not there

devorah major

The family is planning a celebration the end of July. Yroko is key
person for that so feel free to check with her for details. Yroko
Drevon <<mailto:ydrevon at gmail.com>ydrevon at gmail.com>; or on facebook