[News] The Myth of the Spat Upon Vets

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 13 16:20:10 EDT 2006

http://www.counterpunch.org/philion10132006.html

October 13, 2006

An Interview with Jerry Lembcke

The Myth of the Spat Upon Vets

By STEPHEN PHILION

Jerry Lembcke is the author of
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0814751474/counterpunchmaga>The
Spitting Image: Myth, Memory and the Legacy of
Vietnam, He teaches Sociology at Holy Cross University.

Q: In the recent days the British general
responsible for British troops in Iraq has make
remarkably strong
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0%2C%2C1921450%2C00.html>calls
for British troops to be removed from Iraq. So
it's pretty timely to have a discussion like
this, since I'm finding that there are quite a
few students who are opposed to the US occupation
of Iraq, but are afraid to "go against" the
soldiers, many of whom are friends or relatives.
First thing, though, is, for the sake of
Counterpunchers who haven't read your book The
Spitting Image, maybe you could give a quick
intro to the key arguments of the book.

Lembcke: I got interested in this topic in the
runup to the Persian Gulf War in 90-91. There
were students who were opposed to the war, but
afraid to speak out because of what they had
heard about the antiwar movement and veterans
during the Vietnam War era. These stories of
'<http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0430-21.htm>spat
upon' vets were beginning to circulate in the
news and students on campuses were picking up on
these stories. I had never heard these stories
before. So I got interested in where they were
coming from, how long they had been told, who was telling them and so forth.

One thing led to another and I kept looking back
in the historical records, when people were
actually coming home from Vietnam and I found out
that no, there was no record. Not only was there
no record of people spat on, but none of anyone
claiming that they were spat on. So then I got
interested in the stories as a form of myth and
found out that in other times and other places,
especially Germany after WW 1, soldiers came home
and told stories of feeling rejected by people
and particularly stories of being spat on.

Like with the case of the Vietnam stories many of
the 'spitters' were young girls and knowing that
these things happened at abother time and place
supposedly, I found out about a Freudian
psychologist who wrote about male fantasies and
treated these stories as fantasies, expressions
of the subconscious, men who felt they'd lost
manhood in the war. When I told a psychologist
friend of mine in womens studies, she asked me
who the spitters wereshe too thought it was
likely a myth since the spitters were women, an expression of loss of manhood.

Looking a little further, I found that French
soldiers returning from Indochina after defeat at
Dien Bien Phu also told stories of being treated
badly, rejected by women, attacked by women on
the streets, having to take their uniforms off
before going in public, being ashamed of their
military service. These were very similar to
stories circulating in the 1980's in the US. The
time gap between the end of the Vietnam War and
when the stories began to be told is also a sign
that there is something of an element of myth or
legend. That's the key part of the book, not
whether or not such things, since it's hard to
refute what isn't documented, ever happened, as much as the mythical element.

And of course we see how the rise of the myth had
an effect on support for the war in Iraq.

Q: And what is the link that you see?

Lembcke: In a nutshell, most people remember
there was pretty widespread opposition to the US
going into Iraq with huge demos in March and
April of 2003. And then there were a good number
of 'support the troops' rallies that tapped into
the popular sentiment that something bad happened
to the troops when they returned from Vietnam.
The very slogan "support the troops" with the
yellow ribbons and all that sort of presumes that
someone doesn't support the troops and that
presumption is based on that sentiment, belief
that when people came home from Vietnam they were
treated badly and we don't want to do that again this time.

By having these rallies in 2003, the people who
supported the war use support the troops as a way
to support the war. A lot of these rallies told
stories of Vietnam vets who had been spat on. I
got calls from people in Florida, North Carolina,
Vermont,news reporters who had been at these
rallies and asking me, "What about these
stories?". Sometimes they would even have men who
said they were vets or family members who claimed
they remembered someone being spat on. The myth
was used to drum up emotional troops for the
troops, or better said, to dampen down opposition
to the war. Again, the same way it worked during
the Persian Gulf War, some were afraid of being
outspoken against the war lest they be accused of being 'against the troops'.

I teach at Holy Cross College and just the other
day in one of my classes, in the context of
talking about the context of the Bush
administration's strategy of being very
accusatory toward critics of the war policy as
being 'cut and run' Democrats, 'soft on
terrorism'With no more context than that, one of
my students said she was 'undecided about the
war, but as long as the troops were fighting it
was really important to 'support the troops and
we have to support the mission'Now is not the
time to be critical of the war, it was, in her mindall mixed together.

That's the way it works on people's emotions. It throws them off-target.

The target is the war itself and what we need to
be doing is opposing the war itself. Often
emotions get kind of confused with this stuff
about 'supporting the troops'. It creates just
enough space for the administration to push on ahead.

Q: Yes, it seems to be a good strategy to
distract from the main issue, namely the policy
of making war itself. I never quite understand
why it's so important to focus on the supporting
the troops as so central an issue. It doesn't
really matter, since the troops in fact have
little, in fact no say, in war policies to begin with.

Lembcke: Yes, it confuses the means and ends of
war, it becomes a form of demagoguery. It makes a
non-issue an issue, 'support or not supporting
the troops'. At a humanitarian level, none of us
wants to put people in harm's way. The people who
oppose the wars are most strident in that
objective of keeping people out of the war.
That's not an issue, but it keeps us from
focusing on the war itself and talking about it.
And one of the things I'm concerned about now is
a certain strain of the anti-war movement ahs
gotten caught up in this itself. There's a
certain group of antiwar types who focus on what
happens to the soldiers, how they're damaged
psychologically, physically,I've been to a number
of anti-war rallies now where all they talk about
is PTSD and what happens to 'our boys' when we
send them off to war. It's sort of a mirroring of
the political right's approach. They make the
'support the troops' ideology the basis for
supporting the war, and some strands in the
anti-war movement now mimic that we need to
oppose the war by 'supporting the troops' and,
I've been to some antiwar protests where very
very little is said about the war itself!

We hear instead about getting the troops the help
they need and heart rendering stories of parents
of sons who have committed suicide after they
come home, etc. That stuff from the anti-war left
is as beclouding as similar rhetoric from the
right, in that it takes us away from a political
discourse, which we need in order to focus our
energies around stopping the war and its causes.

Q: What's your sense in terms of how this myth is
replayed now with vets coming home from Iraq and
claims of their being 'abused' by the antiwar movement or sentiment?

Lembcke: I've heard a few of these stories.
Again, in the spring of '03, stories circulated
about soldiers being spat on. In New Hampshire a
story went around that a woman in the National
Guard had been pelted with a box of stones by
antiwar teenagers. None of these stories have
turned out to be supportable by any sort of
evidence. And then, periodically, other stories
like one in Seattle of a guy who was back from
Iraq marching in a parade, 'spat on', 'booed',
'called baby killer', etc. The same, no serious evidence.

Occasionally then I get reports of these, but
I've always suspected if the war goes down as a
'lost war', we'll hear more such stories, but the
more important point, I think, is that the image
of spat on Vietnam Vets is so engrained and part
of the American memory and cultural sub-text, it
almost doesn't have to be reaffirmed through
stories of Iraq Vets being 'spat on' or
'mistreated'. It's almost as though the Vietnam
Spitting myth is a background that everyone
'knows' about and when the President talks of
Democrats not supportive of the war or otherwise
baits antiwar people, the background that makes
that resonant is the belief that something untoward happened to Vietnam Vets.

So it's not necessarily good news for the
anti-war movement if we don't hear stories of
Iraq Vets being 'spat on'. My fear is the
mythical spat on Vietnam Vet is now so
internalized as something that "happened', it
doesn't have to be spoken anymore as a contemporary phenomenon.

Q: What's the significance of the documentary
"<http://www.sirnosir.com/>Sir! No Sir" , which
tells the story of the GI antiwar movement during
Vietnam, in terms of what that film can tell
students trying to organize antiwar movements on campuses across America today?

Lembcke: Oh, I think it's terribly powerful. Even
thought there's no mention of Iraq, Afghanistan,
or the War on Terror in the film, it seems that
everyone that sees the film can extrapolate from
it to the ways it applies to the wars that we're
currently involved in. Probably the greatest
impact it has is on young people in the military
today. I've done quite a bit of public speaking at showings of the film.

First of all, it reminds even those of us
involved in the antiwar movement as vets of stuff
that they had forgotten about or informed us
about things that were going on at that time that
we didn't know about. They're kind of surprised
to find out quite a few things about the GI
antiwar movement that they didn't know.

Q: One of the things I was surprised to learn of
was the extent of support shown to Jane Fonda by
American soldiers stationed in Asia during the
war at the
"<http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-10000934/reviews.php?critic=all&sortby=default&page=1&rid=820716>Free
The Army" tour that she, other famous actors such
as Donald Southerland, and soldiers/vets
organized at US bases. Considering all the media
discourse about vets' anger at Fonda , I had no
idea that some 60,000 soldiers had attended and
enthusiastically received her at those shows,
which served as an alternative to Bob Hope's
pro-war tours at the time. Also the extent of
African American soldiers in the antiwar movement
was something I never fully heard about in
histories of the antiwar movement, which the
movie makes clear was very deep and militant.

Lembcke: I was in Vietnam in 1969 and got
involved in Vietnam Veterans Against the War once
I returned and yet there were things in that film
that I had not known about at the time. On the
one hand there was a lot in the news in the
papers about the vets antiwar movement at the
time, which I know now just from researching it.
I don't think there was a blackout at all, often
it was front page news and people knew about it.
One of the things I found interesting was looking
at Stars and Stripes, the civilian published but
military supported publication that soldiers got
in Vietnam and it was all antiwar stuff. It
reported the story of Billy Gene Smith, the GI
accused of fragging an officer, which is featured
in Sir! No Sir!. It had stories about soldiers in
Vietnam wearing black armbands in support of the
1969 anti-war Moratorium back home. It turns out
Stars and Stripes is a pretty good source for
information on the vets' and soldiers antiwar
sentiment and movement back then!

So people knew of these things then. The more
important story is what's happened to that in
people's consciousness and memory. It certainly
is gone now, even from people who were active in
the vets antiwar movement then. Sir! No Sir! has
helped to bring it back into the public memory
and showing that a vets antiwar movement can
happen now is very helpful for people teaching in
college and high school. They can take this
knowledge into the classroom and that part of the
history can get back into the curriculum. Younger
people will now get a different view of what happened then.

I've talked to a few soldiers back from Iraq, one
a Holy Cross University Law School graduate who
was an ROTC cadet who is back from Iraq and has
spoken after showings of Sir No Sir! and likewise
didn't know about the GI antiwar movement during
Vietnam. She reports that there is a lot of
opposition to the US occupation of Iraq among US
soldiers in Iraq but it doesn't express itself
because there's no organization, no organized
communication between people. Maybe the film will
play a catalyst role, if people see this film
about organized GI opposition to the Vietnam War,
it might inspire and even spark their imagination
about the kinds of thing that can be done to
oppose the war from within the military.

Q: And the significance of that for today?

Well, the GI antiwar movement became a vitally
important part of the antiwar movement during
Vietnam. And that is likely to be the case today
also. Lots of people are asking what's the
difference between today and Vietnam? Why isn't
there a movement today? One possible answer is
that the movement within the military is not
quite congealed yet, but that the potential is
there. Hopefully Sir! No Sir! can have an effect
on accelerating that development a bit.

Q: One of the things that struck me about the
film is that you saw that soldiers were not just
protesting the war because of their equipment
issues or technical matters about how the war was
being conducted, but actually because they were
against what was happening to the people of
Vietnam because of the war and they were
learning, while deployed there, about the actual
history of the Vietnamese people's struggles
against foreign occupation as opposed to what
they were brainwashed to believe in boot camp or high school teachers.

Lembcke: Here's a big difference, namely the
nature of the 'enemy' and how it's perceived. In
the later years of Vietnam we came back rather
sympathetic to the cause of the other side. One
of the vets interviewed in the film, David Klein,
talks of how he was shot and how he had shot a
Viet Cong soldier. He then recalls how he looked
at the fellow he had shot dead and realizes that
this man was fighting for his country too, for
freedom. That was a real consciousness raising
moment for him and he dedicated moments like that
to doing something to honor the loss of that
man's life, namely to end the war and
contributing to the other side's fight for
freedom. I certainly came back in February 1970
with such sentiments, though I'm not sure exactly
how it happened. Surely conversations with other
GIs and my own reading at the time helped with that.

But today it is harder to portray the 'enemy' in
Iraq or Afghanistan in that kind of sympathetic
way, there's a political challenge there for the
American antiwar movement to understand what the other side represents.

It needs to get some grasp on what is supportable
in what the other side is doing in Iraq and
Afghanistan, like we did in the Vietnam War.
Recall in the early phases of the Vietnam war, Ho
Chi Minh and the Viet Cong were called terrorists
and there tactics were called tactics of terror.
Today we talk about the roadside bomb in Iraq,
but during Vietnam there was the satchel charges
were one of the main Vietnamese War.

Q: For those of us who haven't fought in a war, what is a Satchel Charge?

Lembcke: A briefcase that would be loaded with
explosives, dropped off some place and would
explode. The point I'm making is that early in
the war in Vietnam the Vietnamese and the
Vietcong weren't as viewed sympathetically as
they were by the early 1970's. What changed was
how they were represented in terms of what they
were all about. I think we need to go through
that rethinking process on Iraq now, though I'm not sure where that goes.

We don't right now have an embraceable 'other' as
we did in Vietnam and what the complexity of the
other side means, how it's to be sorted out,
what's supportablebut we need to find if there is
something there to be supportable and that can
have a big impact on the military elements
against the war, namely that there is an
honorableness to the 'enemy' on the other side as
was the case for GIs against the war in Vietnam.

Q: I always find it interesting to focus on what
happens with US when it does negotiate with the
armed opposition in Iraq, what the US's key
demands are during such negotiations and how the
US can't meet the oppositions' demands because of
that oppositions' demands, no matter how low the
bar is set, because those demands go against the
interests of the US, given its actual goals in Iraq.

Lembcke: Most of us understand the war ended when
the Vietnamese people won. And when we recognized
that the sooner the other side wins, the war is
over. The US is not gonna stop fighting until it
stops, when the US is unable or unwilling to win
the war. That conclusion is very sobering if it's
applied to the war in Iraq. That's a pretty
sobering thought, is this war going to go on
until the US can't do so anymore and at what
point is the US antiwar movement going to see
that the war won't end until the other sides win
and who is the other side? It's very complex, the
other side is very divided, not a monolith. So I
don't know how that lesson from Vietnam
translates into something we can act on to inform our political work today.

Q: There's plenty of writing out there on the
liberal left that we can't leave now because of the nature of the opposition.

Lembcke: Yes, there is that, but you know the
pro-war elements during Vietnam used that logic
too. They often said we can't leave now, we'll
have so many losses or the 'bloodbath' that would happen if we left too soon

Q: I find that when I deal with people on the
liberal-left who will argue that calling for
leaving Iraq immediately is 'isolationism'. But
if you argue back that this is not isolationism
we are arguing, but that the US should pay
massive reparations to the people of Iraq for the
damage the US invasion and occupation has caused
the Iraqi people-no reply forthcoming. They have
no answer as to why we know that that is not
going to happen if the US stays there or if it leaves!

But it opens up the question that people on the
liberal-left who support staying there that the
pro-war or lukewarm "anti-war" liberal left have
no answer for, namely what is the purpose of what
the US is doing in Iraq? It's just set in stone
for them that if we leave things will be worse,
even though the evidence now is so overwhelmingly
that the US occupation is the key source of the
violence we see in Iraq today. So much so that
the argument that once was so common among the
liberal left, "well the Iraqis want us to stay"
has really collapsed under the weight of Iraqi
realities. Now even the Iraqis polled are saying
in big majorities in
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html>US
State Dept. commissioned polls that they want us
to leave now and it's ok to shoot US soldiers.

Lembcke: The NYT kind of buried that story on the
inside, but the antiwar movement can use that
information. We shouldn't have to make that
argument, it should be apparent we're not
welcome, but sometimes data helps to persuade.

Q: It also throws the light back on Iraqis, which
the 'supports the troops' antiwar movement focus
doesn't do. The focus is so often only on
Americans as though the only impact is on
Americans or it's the only one that matters,
except for small periods like Abu Ghraib or Haditha

Lembcke: Yes, the war becomes all about us and
erases Iraqis, much like we did during Vietnam
erasing the agency of Vietnamese people.

Q: Yes, it's interesting that in the process,
ironically, it ignores the agency of the soldiers
and their potential role in stopping the war and
recognizing the actual roots of war itself.

Lembcke: Yes, you know one of the best new
sources of information for the antiwar movement
is another film called
"<http://www.sonyclassics.com/whywefight/>Why We
Fight". I saw it with two classes and they
haven't stopped talking about it. If they had
heard before about the term 'military industrial
compex", now it makes it more real. Now they
think about the war beyond the slogans of "the
war is for freedom, democracy'which is all most
Americans know. The oil thing too has also become
a kind of cliché they don't think about much. For
my students those bumper stickered explanations
are erased and the film puts the war in a much
more material and realistic framing. It's a film
that might have as important an impact as Sir! No Sir!

Stephen Philion is an assistant professor of
sociology at St. Cloud State University in the
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
teaching social theory, sociology of race, and
China and Globalization. His writings can be
found at his
<http://stephenphilion.efoliomn2.com/>website. He
can be reached at: <mailto:stephen_philion at yahoo.com>stephen_philion at yahoo.com