[News] Testimonies of Rape by Police in the Aftermath of Atenco

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 18 08:45:07 EDT 2006

Case Files: Testimonies of Rape by Police in the Aftermath of Atenco

http://www.narconews.com/Issue41/article1827.html

As Mexican Politicians (Guided by U.S. Advisors)
Deny the Evidence, Each Woman’s Story Corroborates the Next

By Al Giordano
The Other Journalism with the Other Campaign in San Salvador Atenco

May 17, 2006

Mexican presidential candidate Felipe Calderón –
of president Vicente Fox’s National Action Party
(PAN, in its Spanish initials) – told reporters
last weekend that he doesn’t believe the reports
that police raped and sexually abused women
detained May 3 and 4 in Texcoco and San Salvador Atenco.

The candidate – who is
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue41/article1817.html>advised
by two gringo political consultants, Dick Morris
and Rob Allyn, on how to handle questions from
the press – said that an accusation of rape, “is
so delicate that it requires clear elements of
proof.” Calderón went so far as to accuse Fox’s
own National Commissioner of Human Rights, José
Soberanes, who furnished hard evidence of at
least 23 rapes of Mexican women while under
arrest, of “speaking badly against the country and I totally rebuke him.”

Calderón was joined in this politics-of-denial by
the police commissioner of the State of Mexico
(and former national police director) Wilfrido
Robledo Madrid, the man who personally supervised
the violent police raids of early May. Robledo –
intellectual author of the crime –
<http://www.milenio.com/mexico/milenio/notaanterior.asp?id=600573>told
the daily
<http://www.milenio.com/mexico/milenio/notaanterior.asp?id=600573>Milenio
on May 15:

“As of today we don’t have any reports from
anyone who says she was raped
 If we had the name
of somebody who was raped, we would begin the
investigation. But up to now we don’t have any. I
put the prosecutor’s office at the disposition of
everyone arrested, and until now, as far as I
know, nobody has been interviewed who has been
raped
. They should present themselves! Why
haven’t they presented themselves? Why don’t they
go to the prosecutor?... Ten days have already
passed and I don’t know of a single woman raped.”

Asked by the Milenio reporters about statements
by Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos that various
police rapists used condoms while raping the
women, suggesting premeditation in the crimes, Robledo exclaimed:

“That makes me laugh!”

As Wilfrido Robledo Madrid was giggling,
investigators from the human rights organization
<http://espora.org/comitecerezo/article.php3?id_article=228>Comite
Cerezo interviewed 19 Mexican women political
prisoners inside of Robledo’s state prison on Monday.

These are their testimonies. Again and again,
they corroborate the testimonies of the four
foreign women who were deported to their home
countries of Spain, Chile and Germany after their
arbitrary arrests and sexual torture in Atenco.
Such as the testimony of Catalonian Maria
Sostres, who
<http://www.elpais.es/articulo/internacional/Historia/ultraje/Mexico/elpporint/20060514elpepiint_8/Tes/>told
the daily El
Pais<http://www.elpais.es/articulo/internacional/Historia/ultraje/Mexico/elpporint/20060514elpepiint_8/Tes/>
in Spain: “They stuck objects, fingers and keys
in their vaginas. They forced one girl to say
‘Cowboy! Cowboy!’ while a police officer smacked her ass.”

Her testimony is corroborated – and deepened,
sadly – by the political prisoner who Sostres
witnessed being sexually abused in that instant,
according to the Comite Cerezo’s case file. That
prisoner, Italia Méndez, is known to Narco News
as a serious, committed, and honest single mom.
She works with
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue39/article1438.html>La
Kinta Brigada, a collective that, among other
projects, works with goat herders in San Luis
Potosí’s desert regions. An intelligent,
coherent, soft-spoken, dignified person, we
interviewed her about sunnier matters last summer
during
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue38/article1416.html>a
meeting of Non-Governmental Organizations and
collectives in the Lacandon Jungle.

The ordeal that Méndez suffered this month at the
hands of the police – she was arrested during a
raid on a private home, and charged with blocking
a highway (from inside the house?) on the morning
of May 4th – is as upsetting as its consequences.
Her forthrightness in detailing the abuse to the
human rights observers makes liars of Wilfrido Robledo and Felipe Calderón.

“Police stripped me, sexually raped me, beat me,
and forced me to travel nude for approximately four hours”

Méndez, 27, testified:

“I was arrested in a private house in San
Salvador Atenco, raided by the Federal Preventive
Police. They stripped me of all my belongings and
money. They forced me against the wall with my
hands at the nape of my neck, struck my head with
the nightstick. They held me up and in front of a
camera they questioned me about my political
affiliation, my address, my name and the names of
my immediate family members. Subsequently I was
taken from the house and seated on the sidewalk.
There were many more people around me. I had to
cover my head and face with my sweater, as they
struck me repeatedly on the head with clubs and
kicks in the buttocks and back. They caused a six-centimeter head injury.

“Minutes later they made me walk between two rows
of police officers escorting the bus in which
they would transfer us. They went on beating me
all the way to the bus and inside there were many
handcuffed people with their heads covered,
stacked on top of each other. They placed me on
top of the pile and later they dragged me toward
the rear seat, there a policeman put his hand
inside my blouse and he tore my brassier.
Immediately, he put his hand inside my pants and
he tore my panties. I found myself on my stomach
with my face covered, they pulled my pants down
to the ankles and my blouse over my head. They
hit my buttocks hard, shouting at me that they
were going to rape me and kill me.

“Then a policeman shouted at me to call him
‘cowboy’ and he struck my bottom even more
violently, but now with his nightstick and he
didn’t stop until he heard me say what he asked.
He then penetrated my vagina with his fingers and
squeezed my breasts hard, then violently pinched
my nipples. He invited another policeman to do
the same and all the while they continued
striking me. Later they invited a third person
who they called boss, this last one penetrated me
with an object and they threatened to rape me
(intercourse). They put me above the penis of one
of them and he rubbed himself against my buttocks
while the other two police officers encouraged
him to penetrate me with his penis, but he did
not do it. They repeatedly struck me on my
breasts and they struck my stomach while they
kissed me on the mouth. How I resisted! The
punches were so hard that I would open my mouth
so the policeman could put his tongue in my mouth.

“I was naked for the entire journey on top of two
more people while a policeman traveled seated on
my back and head. Until we arrived at the prison
and they permitted me to dress and I was lowered down off the bus.”

Méndez summarized the abuse se received at the hands of police:

“PFP and State Police stripped me, sexually raped
me, and beat me, and forced me to travel nude for
approximately four hours. They beat and abused
all of the people who were on the bus.”

A photographer, Méndez is left, now, without her
work tools. According to the human rights
organization file, the police stole from her
“photographic equipment, cash, a cell phone,
books, her diary, debit cards and a credit card,”
valued at 25,000 pesos (about $2,300 dollars).
She remained in prison 11 days – perhaps that
long in order to erase the injuries that would
prove she was raped – and was released last
Monday, but still faces charges of blocking a
highway that she was not even near at the time of her arrest.

“He put his hands under my underwear, forcefully
pulled my thighs apart, and stuck his fingers in my anus
”

Norma Aide Jimenez Osorio, 23, of the state of
Mexico, was anally raped by a police officer
after her arrest. She testified to the Comite Cerezo:

“I was arrested on May 4, 2006, outside of San
Salvador Atenco by the Federal Preventive Police.
They beat me with a shield to throw me down, and
once on the floor two police officers beat me
with nightsticks and fists. Then they put me on
my feet and made me run even though I had told
them that the beating they gave me caused my
right leg to fall asleep. They kept on beating me
and a third cop joined them, punching me on the
back. The others beat me with clubs. All three
said they were going to rape me and kill me. They
asked me questions and they beat me. The
threatened to disappear me and they touched my genitals.

“They put me on a bus and laid me down on the
floor telling me not to move, not to speak. My
head was covered by my own sweater from the
moment they arrested me and there they continued
moving me around, they kept threatening to rape
and to kill me. They forced me off the bus with
punches and kicks and put me on the back of a
truck where they beat my thighs without stopping
with their nightsticks. My head was still
covered, facing down. When I couldn’t take it
anymore I tried to cover my legs with my hands
and they beat my hands until I took them away.
Then he put his hand under my underwear and
forcefully spread my thighs, sticking his fingers in my anus.

“After more death threats and kicks they took me
from that truck back onto the bus, and made me
sit in the last row and put my tongue in their
mouths. At least four officers squeezed my
breasts and pinched my nipples. At least three
cops stuck their fingers, many times, in my
vagina, while they insulted and beat me. Suddenly
many other compañeros and compañeras began to be
put on the bus and I could hear them raping and
beating them all. They tortured us all the way
until we arrived at the prison, where I had a lot
of pain in my hands, on my hip, on my right arm,
in my womb and on my legs, but they refused to give me medical attention.”

The police took from Jimenez, according to the
Comite Cerezo file, “a backpack, watch, books,
personal objects and all my photographic
equipment: camera, lenses, filters, film, flash,
cleaning equipment and money.” Estimated value:
8,500 pesos (more than $800 dollars).

“He put his fingers in my mouth and in my vagina
and forced me to conduct oral sex. I spit his sperm out onto my white sweater
”

Gabriela Tellez Vanegas is an 18-year-old
housewife with two children. She was coming home
from work, in Texcoco (site of the first
conflicts, when police forced eight florists from
the marketplace on May 3rd), waiting for the bus
to take her home. This is her testimony to the Comite Cerezo:

“The police saw me there and one said to me,
‘what are you looking at?’ And another said, ‘put
her on the bus because she’s a loser.’ They began
to hit me and asked my address, age, name; three
of them took me aside because they wanted to keep
kicking me and beating me with clubs. One of them
grabbed my face. He put his fingers in my mouth
and in my vagina and forced me to conduct anal
sex. I spit his sperm out onto my white sweater.
Another cop came and did the same. He grabbed my
breasts and said: ‘This is very good and she’s
milking, right? Whore of a bitch!’ They took my photo with my eyes closed.

“Again they made me give oral sex, coming in my
mouth and I spit it out on my sweater. A third
one came and did the same to me, and I spit it on
my sweater. He said that if I wanted him to help
me I would have to be his prostitute for a year
and he would come see me whenever he wanted to.
They took off my sweater, refused to give it back
to me. A fourth cop came, he put his hands on my
vagina and breasts and wanted me to give him oral
sex. Another one came and said, ‘Not now, man,
because we’ve already arrived.’ They began to
clean my pants and hands and gave me a cigarette
to smoke. But I don’t smoke or drink. And they
took me down, with my eyes closed, to the Santiaguito prison in Almoloya.”

How do you feel, kind reader, after listening to
just three of these testimonies? There are
sixteen more case files already posted at the
<http://espora.org/comitecerezo/article.php3?id_article=228>Comite
Cerezo website. The rest are no nicer, nor easier
to read or digest. We will share them all with
you before this investigation is over. Meanwhile,
think about these three; imagine these fine
people as your mother, your sister, your wife, your lover
 or as you.

And in that light, consider the continued denial
by the Mexican state (and its foreign political
consultants) that these crimes happened.

Just two hours ago,
<http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/138433.html>a
report via the Mexican daily
<http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/nacion/138433.html>El
Universal told that the same state police
commissioner who oversaw the police raid that
carried out these crimes – Wilfrido Robledo
Madrid – continues to stonewall. His boss,
Humberto Benítez Treviño, chief of staff for the
State of Mexico, “said that the state government
is not in any condition to begin an investigation
of the alleged sexual rapes committed against
women by police, since there are no legal bases
to do so, since the women were not subjected to gynecological exams
”

And think about these three women – your mother,
your partner, your sister
 – and whether any
woman in her right mind would allow these animals
to “examine” them after the repeated abuses they experienced in their custody.

And think about the state’s motive for keeping
these women incommunicado, behind bars, for ten
days before allowing human rights organizations
to interview them. Is it because they are dangers
to the public? Or was it to erase the evidence in
the form of bruises and sperm on and in their bodies?

At times like this, for the men in power, it
doesn’t matter what common sense says. It doesn’t
matter what conscience demands. What matters, the
only thing that matters, is surviving
politically. And so the script they spout is not
even theirs. The intellectual authors of these
crimes sit behind desks. They wear suits and
ties. They take polls and spin dimwit
journalists, via surrogates, to deny their guilt.
They beat, rape, steal and lie by remote control.
But this story is not over. It has only begun to be told

Julie Webb-Pullman and Elizabeth Kath assisted in
translations of testimony for this story.