[News] U.S. Political Consultants Are the Virtual Rapists of Atenco

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 16 08:46:55 EDT 2006

U.S. Political Consultants Dick Morris and Rob
Allyn Are the Virtual Rapists of Atenco

http://www.narconews.com/Issue41/article1817.html

Fox’s Government Tortured, Raped and Expelled
Foreign Journalists as His Own Gringo Political
Handlers Violated Article 33 of the Mexican Constitution

By Al Giordano
Special to The Narco News Bulletin

May 16, 2006

The Atenco atrocity has become the international
news story that not even the most cynical U.S.
political consultants could cover up. Here is
part of the news that Dick Morris and Rob Allyn,
U.S. citizens both, are frantically trying to keep you from knowing:

Mexican police raped 30 of the 47 women political
prisoners arrested this month in San Salvador
Atenco
<http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2006/05/14/008n1pol.php>according
to legal complaints filed with Mexico’s National
Human Rights Commission. And the Mexican
government acknowledges that it expelled five
foreign nationals (four of them women, each of
whom has testified that she was sexually tortured
by police) after the now-deported visitors
heroically documented the police raids and
brutality there on May 4. To cover up the
atrocity, the government of Vicente Fox stole
their cameras and film (along with their
passports and money) then shipped them back to
their home countries ­ Spain, Germany and Chile ­
on one-way flights, expelled, each of them, from Mexico for five years.

Hiding behind the political curtain as the women
were raped and tortured were the two gringo
political consultants: Dick Morris and Rob Allyn.
They advise President Vicente Fox and his favored
presidential candidate, Felipe Calderón, of Fox’s
National Action Party (PAN, in its Spanish
initials) on how to manipulate the mass media and
in the art of “crisis management.”

The testimonies of sexual torture by the expelled
journalists shock and compel. After the Atenco
arrests, the same bestiality was inflicted on
Mexican women and men, including one young
Mexican man anally raped with a nightstick, but
the foreigners ­ expelled before most of the
Mexicans were able to tell their stories to the
outside world ­ were merely the first voices able
to speak about the horror inflicted upon them by
Fox’s regime. The coming weeks will bring a
cascade of similar horror stories. We will
translate some of the testimonies already offered here.

But first, we offer a trip down amnesia lane:
Because one of these U.S. political consultants,
Rob Allyn, is, as we reported here six years ago,
an electoral delinquent in Mexico, who admittedly
broke the same Mexican law that was used,
illegally, to expel the five foreigners this month.

The other gringo is Dick Morris, the very same
political consultant who, while running U.S.
President Bill Clinton’s presidential campaign in
1996, resigned in disgrace when it was revealed
that he ­ a married man ­ paid a woman that was
not his wife $200 an hour for sex.

So when Fox ­ advised by U.S. political
mercenaries Dick Morris and Rob Allyn ­ sent
federal police earlier this month to Atenco to
wage an illegal (sans search warrants)
house-to-house hunt for dissidents; when hundreds
were rounded up, beaten, tortured and dozens were
sexually penetrated, some by penises, others by
fingers, billy clubs and other weapons; when,
then, the Fox regime expelled the few foreigners
swept up among the more than 200 arrested, all
this occurred under the command of a president
that doesn’t make a move without consulting his
gringo handlers. At moments of crisis, Fox turns
to the advice and counsel of the two gringos,
Morris and Allyn, whose clients have also
included U.S. presidents George W. Bush, George
Herbert Walker Bush, and Bill Clinton.

There is no nice way to say it: Their role as
advisors to Fox during the Atenco crisis makes
Dick Morris and Rob Allyn into virtual rapists of
at least thirty women this month by the police sent by their client.

And their other client, the candidate Felipe
Calderón, now sputters to the press ­ in frantic
denial of the evidence that now boomerangs back
upon him ­ that the rapes never happened. In
opting for this strategy of denial, he and his
U.S. political consultants Allyn and Morris are
gang-raping these women a second time.

Meet Rob Allyn, Electoral Delinquent

Six years ago, during the 2000 presidential
elections in Mexico, this newspaper reported that
a United States political consultant named Rob
Allyn was dishonestly meddling in Mexican
politics. At the time, he was as a clandestine
paid advisor to then-presidential candidate
Vicente Fox. But he denied it ­ first to Narco
News, and then to other media that inquired.

[]

Rob Allyn
Allyn ­
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//pollreply1.html>in
a series of emails to your correspondent ­ at
first tried to lie his way out of it. He had come
to Mexico City in June 2000 where he had called a
press conference, falsely representing himself as
an impartial election observer for a paper
organization he called “Democracy Watch.” Later,
after Fox won the July 2000 election, Allyn,
eager to take credit for the victory,
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//roballyn1.html>publicly
boasted to the
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//roballyn1.html>Dallas
Morning News that, yes, he did work for Fox’s
campaign clandestinely. He said he did so on a
tourist visa and that, during three illegal years
in Mexico, he also used at least three false sets
of identification under the names “José de
Murga,” “Francisco Gutiérrez,” and “Alberto Aguirre.”

Use of forged identification by foreigners in
Mexico is a crime punishable by up to ten years
in prison. But the law was never applied to Rob
Allyn. To the contrary, he was rewarded
handsomely for his crime. Allyn was paid millions
of dollars as the agent who placed Fox’s
advertisements on Mexican television, at the same
time that he represented himself to the Mexican
press as an “impartial election observer.” And
now, in 2006, this electoral delinquent, Rob
Allyn, is back, helping to run the campaign of
presidential candidate Felipe Calderón, of Fox’s PAN party.

Allyn ­ a Republican Party consultant from Texas
who has advised both George W. Bush and his
father George Herbert Walker Bush, as well as a
Texan energy billionaire with obvious interest in
seeing Mexico’s electricity and oil privatized ­
is joined in Mexico today by U.S. political consultant Dick Morris.

Morris the Menace in Mexico

Morris was the top political advisor to U.S.
President Bill Clinton until August of 1996, when
Morris, a married man, was caught with a
$200-dollar-an-hour prostitute and had to leave
the Clinton campaign in disgrace.

[]

Dick Morris
Photo: Fox News
Morris recently penned
<http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/61879.htm>a
column in the New York Post in which he admitted,
“I have worked as a consultant for Fox and PAN.”

A fish is caught from the mouth, first: Article
33 of the Mexican Constitution prohibits
participation by foreigners in Mexican electoral campaigns. It says:

“Foreigners may not involve themselves in any way
in the political affairs of the country.”

This article of the Constitution prohibits
involvement by foreigners in Mexican electoral
politics. It says nothing about taking
photographs or shooting video. But in recent days
it was wielded ­ using an illegal interpretation
of the law ­ by Morris’ and Allyn’s Mexican
client, Vicente Fox, to expel five foreign
journalists from the country, although the
journalists were not involved in any way in this year’s election campaign.

Not content to merely expel two Spanish women,
one German woman, and a woman and man from Chile
who were photographing, filming and observing
human rights in the town of San Salvador Atenco
on the morning of May 4, the Fox government ­
according to documentation by respected human
rights organizations and to the victims’ own
testimony ­ first beat them savagely, tortured
them sexually, stole their cameras, film and
passports, kept them incommunicado and tortured
for two days, and then dragged them onto
airplanes that dumped them, bruises and all, in their home countries.

But these communicators have refused to be
silenced. Read their words and listen to their
sincerity, their conviction, their commitment
against injustice, and compare that with the
mercenary stance of virtual rapists Rob Allyn and
Dick Morris. Because it is true that there are
foreigners meddling in Mexican politics, in
violation of Article 33. But it is not the
journalists or human rights observers who
volunteer their time to document the
non-electoral Zapatista Other Campaign, or the
atrocities of Atenco and other parts of the
country. The violators of the law are Rob Allyn
and Dick Morris. They are the bad foreigners
responsible for what happened to the five good
foreigners this month outside of Mexico City: the
commanders-in-chief of the media war against human rights in Mexico.

Sexual Torture and Tourism Under Fox

[]

Valentina Palma Novoa
Photo: La Jornada
Doctors at the Emergency Public Assistance
Hospital in Santiago de Chile examined
30-year-old film student Valentina Palma Novoa
upon her imposed return to her country last week.
<http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2006/05/14/005n1pol.php>According
to the Mexico City daily
<http://www.jornada.unam.mx/2006/05/14/005n1pol.php>La
Jornada, she suffered, at the hands and batons of
Mexican police, “contusions and hemotomas in the
abdomen, the left rib region, right shoulder and
breast, as well as on her thumb and leg.” The
accompanying photo documents many of those wounds.

Her eye-witness account ­
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue41/article1802.html>“They
Ordered Me to Lay My Head in a Pool of Blood” ­
vividly documents the beatings she received upon
arrest, in the bus transporting her and other
prisoners to jail, and once inside the prison.

She had lived 11 years in Mexico, at every moment
her migratory status in the country legal and
covered by visas. A student of cinematography at
the prestigious Center for Cinematographic Study
at Mexico’s National School of Anthropology and
History (ENAH, in its Spanish initials), she
studied with world-renowned director
<http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/novaro.html>Maria
Novaro, who, according to the
<http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=104703>New
York Times, “has created an impressive body of
work that is outstanding for its often political
portrayals of women living within two realities.”

Palma’s Mexican visa specifically authorized her
to study cinema and make films. And that’s what
she was doing on the morning of May 4, in Atenco,
when Vicente Fox’s regime grabbed her, beat her, and deported her from Mexico.

It was politics, and not law, that led the Fox
government to expel her. Who made the decision to
send her ­ and her testimony ­ far from Mexican
soil? The gabacho Rob Allyn? The gringo Dick
Morris? Her deportation occurred in violation of
a court protective order, known under Mexican law
as an amparo. That is the authoritarian Mexico of
Vicente Fox and Felipe Calderón, as guided by the
U.S. political consultants Allyn and Morris: a
plea for “law and order” that disregards its own judicial decisions.

The other Chilean expelled, Mario Aguirre, fared no better.

Also student at Mexico’s National School of
Anthropology and History, upon his return to
Chile, Aguirre reported to the same hospital,
which found “bruises on the thorax, contusions
under his scalp, lesions on the left knee and
scrapes on the right knee, all as the result of an aggression.”

Aguirre’s
<http://vientos.info/cml/?q=node/3116>testimony
corroborates that of the four women expelled from
Mexico and that of many Mexicans who are
beginning to be released either for lack of
evidence against them or on bail. Regarding the sexual tortures, he writes:

“I am an eyewitness to the abuses to which a
woman seated beside me was subjected. She was
stripped naked at the chest while the officers
insulted and beat her on her breasts. Another
woman who was on top of me in the pile of bodies
that we were stuck in was brutally beaten and her
head slammed repeated times against my back. The
beatings she received were with kicks, slaps, she
was stamped upon and beaten with a nightstick.”

“We were witnesses to another case of abuse,
against one of the Spanish women who screamed,
please, that they leave her alone because they
were suffocating her. After a few minutes her
legs had numbed and so she needed to move them.
But each time she tried the police hit her hard
with the nightstick. The time that it took for
all this to happen was too long to justify a trip
to the nearest jail. The torture began to be
psychological: as if they were taking us to an
unpopulated place to be killed and disappeared.”

Compare the treatment that these good people
received at the hands of the Fox administration
to the testimony of Fox’s gringo political
consultant Rob Allyn about the “hardships” he
faced while running Fox’s 2000 presidential
campaign, in the breathless prose of the Dallas Morning News on July 9, 2000:

MEXICO CITY ­ Oftentimes, Rob Allyn’s biggest
challenge was trying to remember his covert
identity. If he slipped, he risked his role in a
secret mission to push along Mexico’s first bloodless revolution.

Puzzled waiters and hotel receptionists would
stare as Mr. Allyn, a well-known Republican
political consultant in Dallas, painfully
pondered the many fake names before signing a
bill. Who was he this time, José de Murga,
Francisco Gutiérrez, or Alberto Aguirre?

“Basically, for three years I’d go home from my
real job to a secret job,” Mr. Allyn said. “I led
a second life for that period.”

As foreigners like Allyn face the dilemmas of
which credit card to whip out (in those
restaurants that accept them) and how to spend
the fortunes he makes off of Mexico’s corrupt
political system, others, like the Chileans
Valentina Palma and Mario Aguirre make a lie out
of the political consultant’s claim to be
participating in a “bloodless revolution.”

Or take the testimony of Catalonian citizens
Maria Sostres and Cristina Valls, deported the
same day as the Chileans ­ on El Cinco de Mayo ­
back to their home city of Barcelona.

[]

Maria Sostres and Cristina Valls
Photo: El País
“It was a fiesta for the police,” Sostres told
the Madrid daily
<http://www.elpais.es/articulo/internacional/Historia/ultraje/Mexico/elpporint/20060514elpepiint_8/Tes/>El
País, about her experience being arrested in
Atenco May 4, in an interview published on
Sunday, May 14. “They passed us from hand to hand
and enjoyed themselves as they beat us.”

“I tried to run but every street was full of
police. Getting out of there was impossible. They
began to beat up everyone they found passing by,”
Valls recounted to the newspaper.

“My face was over a pool of blood and there were
six people piled on top of me who were being violated,” testified Valls.

Sostres witnessed various rapes by police against
the detainees: “They stuck objects, fingers and
keys in their vaginas. They forced one girl to
say ‘Cowboy! Cowboy!’ while a police officer smacked her ass.”

They spoke of people that the authorities allowed
inside the jail who claimed to be attorneys,
offering free advice to the women: “One told me
not to file a complaint for the sexual abuse
because it would cause more problems for me in
going free and could lead to my being in prison
for a year. I believed him. Later I retracted and
wanted to widen my declaration but they wouldn’t let me,” said Sostres.

“We have photos of girls with their thighs black
and their breasts covered with bruises from the
blows,” said Guillermo Ibarra of Mexico’s
National Human rights Commission to the Spanish daily.

Think about the treatment that these Spaniard
women, both human rights activists, received as
tourists in Mexico compared to that of Fox’s
foreign political consultant Rob Allyn. From his
2000 interview with the Dallas Morning News:

The campaign over, the media savvy strategists
talked of once drinking brandy ­ Mexico’s
Presidente label ­ with the future president of
Mexico in the back of a bullet-proof Suburban and
of the many safe houses, which always included an empty swimming pool.

As Rob Allyn was back on the Mexican campaign
trail, guiding Vicente Fox and Felipe Calderón in
their every move this election season, another
foreigner, Samantha Dietmar, 27, of Germany, was
paying a high price for the crime of
 taking
photographs. As she left her 100-peso (less than
ten dollars) hotel room early the morning of May
4, in Atenco, she was immediately attacked by a horde of club-swinging police.

This is part of her testimony, published on
<http://mexico.indymedia.org/tiki-view_blog_post.php?blogId=39&postId=1951>Mexico
Indymedia:

“‘She’s not from here,’ they shouted. My
identification papers fell to the ground and I
was brought toward a vehicle. There, my hell began

“I was pulled by my arms and hair to be put into
the vehicle, where a mountain of people were
already piled on top of each other. There was
blood everywhere, and the people cried out in pain

“The police insulted us and spit on us
 they
stepped on top of me and others with their boots

beating our backs, heads and feet with their
nightsticks. I felt hands upon my buttocks and
back that were trying to pull my skirt up. When I
tried to put my clothing back on, they shouted at
me, ‘Gringa,’ and someone hit me in the face. My nose bled
.

“Again and again police came onto the bus and
asked for the German girl
 they wanted to see my
face. I was told not to move. Some hands were
touching my breasts. They asked me what I was doing there

“They said I had pretty eyes, and asked if I
wanted to go out with one of the police, and
immediately they began to beat a man behind me,
who doubled over in pain. They pulled my hair and
strands of it flew all over the bus
”

This is Rob Allyn’s Mexico and this is Dick
Morris’ Mexico: the return of the authoritarian
state that rules with fear and violence,
arbitrarily, with two sets of laws: one that
afflicts the good people, and another that comforts the bad.

It’s a Mexico that many a commentator in the
Commercial Media recently has complained about,
blaming the atmosphere of violence on the people who resist and protest.

But the real blame for the heightening of tension
and violence rests on the shoulders of Dick
Morris and Rob Allyn and the tone that they set
for the 2006 campaign. The truth is ­ and the
record reflects ­ that the political climate in
Mexico began to rarify weeks prior to the bloody
conflicts of early May in Atenco and nearby
Texcoco. It began before the police displaced
peaceful flower sellers and attacked those who defended them. It began
 on TV

The Gringos Who Opened Pandora’s Box

When this year’s presidential campaign began,
some hoped for a peaceful and democratic process.
After all, this is the first presidential
election to be held after Fox’s 2000 victory
ended seven decades of one-party rule. At first,
the Fox administration welcomed the Zapatista
“Other Campaign” and national tour by
Subcomandante Marcos as the peaceful protest and
fact-finding mission that it is.

But under all this flowery waxing about love and
peace and democracy, the injustices continued to
seethe. And when the polls revealed that former
Mexico City Governor Andrés Manuel López Obrador,
of the Democratic Revolution Party (PRD, in its
Spanish initials, a party that represents itself
as “center-left” in ideology) is headed to an
irreversible victory on July 2nd, Fox and his pet
candidate, Calderón, called in the dogs from the North.

Dick Morris and Rob Allyn set to work feeding red
meat to the corrupt Commercial Media in Mexico:
incendiary television spots, falsified public
opinion polls, and “reports” based on rumor and
innuendo, to sow fear and loathing into the
election campaign. And to ensure that the Fox
administration would get the spin it wants out of
the two national TV networks ­ Televisa and TV
Azteca ­ it rammed a new law through Congress
giving special privileges and monopoly powers to
the two networks, disintegrating the smaller media competitors.

The Washington Post
<http://blog.washingtonpost.com/worldopinionroundup/2006/05/dick_morris_back_on_the_mexica.html>reported
on May 3rd, as the police-incited violence began in Texcoco and Atenco:

A solid dose of negative campaigning has
tightened up Mexico’s three-way presidential
race, generating a spate of stories about the
influence of controversial U.S. political strategist Dick Morris.

Reports in the Mexican press are raising
questions about how connected Morris might be to
the campaign of Felipe Calderon. The conservative
Calderon is competing with leftist Andres Manual
Lopez Obrador and populist Roberto Madrazo in a
contest to lead a nation of 105 million people
whose exodus of migrants, legal and illegal, are
reshaping U.S. politics and society.

Last month, Calderon overtook Lopez Obrador for
the first time in the polls when a survey done by
the Reforma newspaper gave him a 38 to 35 percent
edge over Lopez Obrador. Madrazo held 23 percent.
Lopez Obrador has retained a slight lead in other
recent polls compiled by opinamexico.org.

Calderon’s surge followed a saturation television
advertising campaign aimed at eroding the
positive image Lopez Obrador has forged as a
popular mayor of Mexico City by linking him to
Venezuela’s leftist president Hugo Chavez. In a
story headlined “Mercenary Strategists Without
Rival,” the newsweekly Proceso (in Spanish by
subscription) reported this week that Calderon
has contracted Morris and Texas-based political
consultant Rob Allyn “to handle not only his
image, but the development of his campaign.”

But Morris’ advocacy on behalf of Fox and
Calderón was visible a month earlier, on April 3,
when he penned
<http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/61879.htm>a
column for the New York Post that sums up
perfectly his inflammatory approach to political
campaigning. It was titled “Menace in Mexico” and
sounded like a Red Scare tract from the 1950s:

On July 2, the Mexican people will decide whether
to elect ultra-leftist Andres Manuel Lopez
Obrador (known as AMLO) as their next president.

Rumors have abounded for months that Lopez
Obrador’s campaign is getting major funding from
Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. And last month
Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz), a moderate Republican,
told several Mexican legislators that he had
intelligence reports detailing revealing support
from Hugo Chavez to AMLO’s Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD)

Chavez is a firm ally of Cuba’s Fidel Castro.
Lopez Obrador could be the final piece in their
grand plan to bring the United States to its
knees before the newly resurgent Latin left

Based on what he himself called “rumor,” Morris screeched:

Think we have security problems now, with Vicente
Fox leading Mexico? Just wait until we have a
2,000-mile border with a chum of Chavez and Castro.

That was essentially the script for what came
Obrador was a stooge of Chávez and Castro,
followed by polls which claimed that Calderón was
gaining on, and, later, leading the opposition candidate.

Another U.S. political consultant, pollster Dan
Lund, wrote
<http://www2.eluniversal.com.mx/pls/impreso/noticia.html?id_nota=30912&tabla=articulos>a
column for the Miami Herald’s Mexican edition, an
English-language insert in the national daily El
Universal, analyzing the influence of Dick Morris
on this year’s Mexican campaign:

Dick Morris, the well-known consultant who boasts
a brilliant track record in electing Republicans
and Democrats in the United States. He is most
well known for the 1996 Clinton re-election
campaign and an interesting sexual preference for
which he was busted in a Washington hotel. By the
way, it is fair game to mention such things, for
after all he is the master of the negative
campaign, featuring the use of personal at tacks;
actually, I could have used more innuendo or just
made something up, and that would have been fair game on his terms as well.

Morris is the guy who claims to have written the
“campaign book” for Fox in 1999-2000, and is now
spreading tail feathers about his role in the Felipe Calderón campaign
.

With this conflictive operation, the Morris book
is the script keeping it together for now,
because it is all about winning, no matter how.

The book is that of a relentless negative
campaign, using all forms of media, electronic
and informal ­ all, at a cost that simply cannot
be met by other campaigns. This campaign book has
become the choreography of a strange Morris dance
that enables the very different factions and
interests to hold together and focus on the real
enemy, namely Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

And yet all of this was predictable: the
Gringotization of the Mexican election and the
primacy of negative campaigning based on rumor
and innuendo at the hands of U.S. political
consultants was the script from the beginning.
The Zapatista Army of National Liberation (EZLN,
in its Spanish initials) warned of it almost a
year ago, in the
<http://www.narconews.com/Issue41//Issue38/article1371.html>Sixth
Declaration of the Lacandon Jungle, and set to
work building the “Other Campaign” ­ a
non-electoral effort ­ to pull the cloak off the scam.

On January 1st, Zapatista Subcomandante Marcos
began what was originally slated as a six-month
visit to all of Mexico to hear the testimony of
the people who struggle “below and to the left.”

The recent violence in Atenco led to the
suspension of the Other Campaign while Marcos
holds what is essentially a kind of sit-in at the
true seat of power: the media capital of Mexico
City. He has gone on the offensive, selectively
granting interviews to Commercial Media outlets
on the condition that they broadcast his words
“uncut and unedited.” (That the rebel spokesman
has been able to impose this condition, so far,
on Televisa, CNN and Telesur, as well as the
daily La Jornada, is an important fact that goes
unspoken by some who complain about Marcos’ media
blitz: Who has been able to impose that condition before? Who has even tried?)

What the “Other Campaign” has accomplished is to
rip up the gringo consultants’ script. Because
while Dick Morris and Rob Allyn believe that they
can hear public opinion mediated by pollsters,
Marcos has just spent more than 120 days
listening endlessly to the voices of people from
every sector of Mexican society ­ in 19 of its 31
states plus the Federal District of Mexico City ­
and has developed a keener ear for what is
happening on the ground than the candidates or
their consultants are able to hear.

That, according to national columnist Carlos
Ramírez (not at all an adherent, nor sympathizer,
of the Zapatista “Other Campaign,” but a keen
political analyst), has taken the Mexican
zeitgeist out of the hands of the parties and
their consultants, and put it squarely in those
of the rebels. Ramírez
<http://www.lacrisis.com.mx/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2411>writes:

The most relevant fact is that the 2006
presidential campaigns are alienated from the
reality that bothers the citizen. The promises to
create jobs, lower prices and taxes, and raise
subsidies for popular programs are far from the
reality of the citizens. Atenco exploded as the
most serious problem for governability, for the
administration, and for the stability of the
country, but the candidates have turned their
backs. Marcos jumped into the electoral process,
assumed the initiative and is dictating the
political points of reference. And none of the
candidates have dared to analyze the role that
the chief of the EZLN has assumed or warned of
the possibilities and limitations

This is the hour in which they have not
understood that the political analysis of Marcos
is different than the traditional one of weights
and counter-weights. His strategy is to take
advantage of the space created by Atenco to
construct a network of uncontrollable social groups

In spite of it all, Marcos is the only one who
knows what he wants and what he must do to obtain
it.
<http://enlacezapatista.ezln.org.mx/la-otra-campana/335/>His
speech yesterday in the Che Guevara auditorium of
UNAM (the National Autonomous University of
Mexico) is coherent with his goal of social
organization. He is going to stay here in the
Federal District until the authority of the State
collapses. And each day small social
organizations with goals that don’t include
negotiating with the state are joining him

The True Foreign Meddlers in Mexico

The true foreign meddlers in Mexican politics are
Dick Morris, Rob Allyn and their ilk. They not
only seek to rarify the air with conflict and
rumor, creating a cloud of dust, confusion and
fear out of which their clients emerge. They do
it with brazen willingness to violate the law, to
invent facts out of dark fantasies and fictions,
to falsify polls, to unleash violent police
offering them the opportunity to rape and
sexually torture women as the booty of war, and,
if need be, to do what was done in Mexico’s 1988
elections, as occurred in recent years in the
United States: they and the Fox administration
will resort even to computer-generated election
fraud to impose their regime’s continuance.

And they do it in clear violation of Article 33
of the Mexican Constitution, against foreign involvement in electoral politics.

But the gringo electoral delinquents in Mexico,
Dick Morris and Rob Allyn, are in over their heads.

The victory they seek on July 2nd, no matter how
achieved, will be pyrrhic, in that Fox, following
their advice by promoting violence, fear and
repression, has ensured the ungovernability of
the country, post-election, by his rooster
Calderón and probably by anyone else.

As the Other Campaign has showed, day after day,
for the past four and a half months, the lid
simply is not on tight when it comes to
controlling the Mexican populace from above. The
false promises of change by the Morris-Allyn
Frankenstein named Fox raised expectations and
then broke them. And for anyone who still clung
tight to that illusion by May 2nd, the violence
of May 3rd and 4th has ripped from them that
innocence with the speed at which Fox’s police
raped and sexually tortured a majority of the women they arrested in Atenco.

The protestors chant “We Are All Atenco.” The
truth is that those words also translate to “We
Have All Been Raped.” The virtual rapists of
political technique and manipulation have violated democracy itself.

And the nation that exists below, under their
technocratic radar, cannot, will not, rest until
justice be done. Fox and his police, Calderón and
his gringo consultants, had their fiesta ­ as
Maria Sostres testified ­ on May 4th. Now comes
the response. The Other Mexico that rises from
these ashes will include a space, anew, for
Valentina Palma Novoa, for Mario Aguirre, for
Samantha Dietmar, for Cristina Valls, for Maria
Sostres, and for every decent Mexican citizen and
internationalist in solidarity with them.

But the Mexico to come, as a result of what
happened this month in Atenco, will not include a
place ­ not even a cabaña on the beach ­ for the
virtual rapists Dick Morris or Rob Allyn.