[News] The Border War Comes Home

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu May 18 13:06:52 EDT 2006

http://www.counterpunch.org/

May 18, 2006

The Border War Comes Home

Our Lives are on the Line

By JUAN SANTOS

He looked squarely into my eyes. "So, you see what's coming," he said.

I was speaking with one of the core leaders of
the movement for migrant's rights, and had laid
before him a sketch of a plan of resistance for
the nation's barrios, for the protection of
people from the mass raids and mass deportations
that will result from new anti-migrant legislation being birthed in Washington.

"This is the calm before the storm; they're going
to make it tough," Professor Armando Navarro had
told LA's La Opinion. "They're talking about
raids, deportations. In every barrio we have to
organize migrant defense committees, and get ready for civil disobedience."

The meeting we had just attended unanimously
called for the rejection of the so-called
Hagel-Martinez "compromise" in the US Senate,
under which as many as 7 million migrants could
face deportation. Such a compromise would then
have to be "reconciled" with House bill 4437, an
even more extreme measure inspired by supporters
of the ultra-Right and the racist shock troops called the Minutemen.

The House bill calls for the universal
deportation of every woman, child and man in the
country without papers, for an utterly
devastating depopulation -an ethnic cleansing -
of the barrio, and the destruction of much of its cultural and economic life.

The difference between the bills under
consideration is the difference between partial
and virtually complete ethnic cleansing, and any
"compromise" between such measures will not
change the racist and quasi-genocidal nature of
the result. A "compromise" can only mean the
deportation of millions and the legal
stigmatization and terrorization of millions more.

Under international law, ethnic cleansing means
the expulsion from a territory of one ethnic
group by another, and pertains to official
policies aimed at the forcible removal of a
targeted group. The crime is considered a form of
forced emigration, deportation and genocide.

International law recognizes ethnic cleansing as
a crime against humanity when carried out in a
time of literal warfare. The US war on migrants
is the moral equivalent of ethnic cleansing. It is a crime against humanity.

Fittingly, the Bush administration has flatly
stated its intent to make "enforcement" the
cutting edge of its new approach to migrants, and
to prove the point it recently initiated the
largest single mass arrest of migrants in US
history, and put a severe new focus on penalizing employers, as well.

Bush has already deported more people than any other president in U.S. history.

Since he took office ICE has deported some
150,000 migrants a year and had deported 881,478
people through 2005, figures that do not include,
for example, the 1.2 million people who were
arrested at the U.S.-Mexican border itself last year.

Now, in his Monday night speech, Bush has
promised to fulfill one of the Minutemen's most
draconian hopes ­ turning the border into a green
zone, a quasi-military zone occupied by forces of
the National Guard, backed by a super high tech
"virtual" wall ­ a wall more deadly, and more effective, than a mere fence.

And, in apparent defiance of the Posse Comitatus
Act ­ which forbids the use of military troops
within US borders - the House recently passed
legislation that, according to the Pentagon,
"gives authority to the Defense Department to
assign military members to assist Homeland
Security organizations in preventing the entry of
terrorists, drug traffickers and illegal aliens into the United States"

Migrant deaths at the border are expected to
skyrocket, and the State is already building mass
detention centers for migrants. Bush claims he's
not "militarizing" the border. His claim will
mean nothing to the dead and the incarcerated.

Every version of the so-called "immigration
reform laws" now under renewed consideration in
Washington also authorizes and pays local police
to act as immigration agents and to oversee the
deportation of those they arrest, effectively
adding a permanent quasi-military force of
650,000 for "internal enforcement" of immigration laws.

This is an example of the "middle ground" on
migrants trumpeted by the US's white colonial
ruling elite: the state will combine mass raids
with the slow process of day by day racial
profiling to eliminate the migrant population.
According to an ICE plan called Operation Engame,
they mean to deport every "deportable" migrant by the year 2012.

In his Monday speech Bush said migrants are
"beyond the reach and protection of American
law." Indeed, he means to get them in his grasp,
but their "protection" is nowhere on the agenda.

The plan is to control and terrorize the migrants
who will remain in the US, and to incarcerate and
deport the rest. When that much is achieved, the
ruling elites will find themselves in a
comfortable position to continuously exploit the
labor of a subjugated, highly controlled and
vulnerable ethnic under-caste, and they will have
provided themselves with the kind of ethnic
scapegoat essential to the development of a new US-style fascism.

False Hopes

The hopes of millions of migrants have been
ignited by the recent wave of protests, and by
the hope that white America will find them ­ with
their white t-shirts and American flags -acceptable, tolerable, even welcome.

The shock will be immense.

Migrants will learn in a brutal fashion that the
concern of America's elite has never had anything
to do with surrender, white shirts, white dreams,
or any other indication of who, as people,
migrants might be or wish to be. The only concern
of the ruling elites is their own need for
migrants as exploitable workers ­ like the slave
master of the Old South they need their workers.

There is another motive as well: today's elites
also fear the very people they need - just like
any slave master. The fear is compounded by the
knowledge that today's master is not only an
exploiter, he is also a usurper: the land he
thrives on was stolen from the very people he
degrades and dehumanizes with the epithet "illegal."

And it's not just Republicans and open white
racists who are afraid. It's many "liberals,"
too. Ed Schultz, the liberal talk show host,
recently offered two factors as a bottom line on
why migrants should stay: "the economy needs them" and "they can make trouble."

The fear is so intense that, because of our mass
protests, the worst elements of the Sensenbrenner
bill ­ HR4437 ­ were momentarily derailed as
different elements of the ruling class scrambled
and bickered among themselves to determine who
will have the final say - to determine who among
them can assure the needs of their economy while
averting the threat that migrants represent to them all.

With every passing day, with every demonstration,
with each child who prays each night that her
parents can come out from the shadow of the
stigma of being hunted and despised, with each
heartbeat of rising hope, the noose around the
neck of the ruling class gets just a little tighter; the options contract.

With each day, each hour, the danger for the
ruling elites of crushing the life and death
expectations of migrants grows exponentially.
Politically correct or not, every American flag
carried in the recent mass demonstrations
represents a rising, fluttering expectation, a
sea of expectations whose depths promise
shipwreck for the State, when, as it must, it
betrays the promise of "freedom" and racial "equality."

The crushing of those expectations could lead
directly to rebellion in the streets, following
the example of the recent rebellion of migrants
in France, and of the African American rebellions
of the 1960s. When Martin Luther King was
overcome, when he lay dead of an assassin's
bullet in Memphis, a hundred cities burned across the nation.

They burned because it had become clear to the
African American people that after more than a
decade of struggle nothing fundamental in the
structure of oppression had changed, that the
changes that occurred had been mere surface
changes, compromises, like the Hagel-Martinez
bill today, aimed at silencing them, not at
transforming the conditions of their lives or the
oppression that afflicted them.

The ruling elites have not forgotten for a moment
the mass rebellion in Los Angeles of 1992.
Migrant neighborhoods were a focal point of
intense uprisings; the unity between Black and
Brown was as palpably intense as the flames that
engulfed the city ­ and utterly terrifying to all
of those whose daily task is to keep us down.

As if to underscore the point, police were all
but invisible in the recent pro-migrant marches
in downtown LA ­ although over a million of us
were in the streets. But in Pico Union, where
another million marched, riot squads were visible
everywhere, even until past midnight. Pico Union
was a storm center of the LA rebellion. Half of
those arrested in that period were Brown.

Is it any wonder, then, that the rulers have
taken pause for thought about just how far they
dare to go in the war on immigrants?
Sensenbrenner went too far with HR4437 ­ he
awakened the threat. Now they must gauge a thing
all but impossible to gauge: just how far is too far?

No one on either side of the equation knows the answer to that question.

One thing at least is clear ­ no one in the white
mainstream is going to come to the support of
migrants unless migrants themselves stop wrapping
themselves in the flag of the oppressor, and dare
to stand up to oppression and unless they are
willing to polarize the nation against their
persecutors and defiantly challenge their racism.

At the same time our demands must be made clear
and millions must be challenged to re-think their
prejudices. That's exactly how the Black movement
for freedom did it, and nothing less will do. The
"problem," as one writer recently put it, isn't
at the border; the problem isn't with immigration
­ it's that migrants are being persecuted.

And voting won't change that, no matter what the
"We Are America" coalition claims. A vote in
November ­ and face it, most migrants simply
aren't eligible to vote ­ will change nothing for
the child whose mother or father is deported
today. Even if the Democrats win in November,
there is absolutely no guarantee that they will
take up the question of immigration anew.

No. The harsh reality is that the Democrats have
supported extremely draconian anti-migrant
measures in their willingness to "compromise"
with the overtly fascistic elements of the Republican Party.

The "compromise" already accepted by the
Democrats includes mass deportations of up to
several million people, the indefinite detention
of migrants without due process, the treatment of
minor offenses as "aggravated felonies" which
would trigger harsh mandatory detention and
deportation, and of course, unleashing the police
as migrant hunters in a program of daily terror against our communities.

When the matter goes to the House/ Senate
reconciliation committee, it can only get worse.
The Democrats are no more likely to repeal the
war on migrants than they have been willing to
reverse their criminal support for the unjust
colonial war of occupation against Iraq.

They will not relent unless we leave them no
choice, unless, like the forces of resistance in
other places and other times, we make the
political price of continuing the war on migrants too high.

The Ultimate Showdown

The National Immigrant Solidarity Network says it
clearly. "This is a critical moment for the immigrant struggle."

"We should brace ourselves," they say, "for the
ultimate showdown of the immigrant struggle soon,
and we should mobilize ourselves quickly to
respond to the racist anti-immigrant xenophobia that will go down."

The group is calling for emergency community
meetings to strategize rapid response to a
possible nationwide crackdown or attack on immigrants.

No matter what the rulers do, short of a general
legalization, they will present our people with
unbearable choices, with an unimaginable grief of
separation; with the mass destruction of what is
most sacred to us; our families and communities.

Will we allow the rulers of America to deport our
children, 2/3 of whom are citizens of their
nation? Will we allow them to force us to leave
our children behind? Will we let our children
live in fear that their parents may not come home
from work? That they will disappear? At what
point will the grief, fear and rage become
unbearable, and uncontainable? At what point must we say "¡Ya Basta!" ?

Flying the American flag has disarmed us. It is
not our willingness to live by the rules that
impresses the slave master ­ his entire regime is
designed to ensure our compliance. What impresses
him is our potential to awaken, to shatter the
framework, to throw away the "rules".

Flying the US flag means we don't understand the
ruthless nature of our enemies; it means a basic
and unconscious allegiance to the idea of getting
ahead and doing so on the backs of others, an
unconscious allegiance to and imitation of the
very foundations of the oppressor's outlook and
his control of us, and an implicit acceptance of
his colonial rule over stolen land and subjugated peoples.

Our enemies want to split our allegiances, they
want us to grasp at individual chances for
"acceptance" and "freedom," and to ignore the
well being of our people as a whole. That, after
all, is the real "American Dream" ­ private
wealth and well being on the backs of other, subjugated peoples.

But we can no longer leave the fate of our
children in their hands. We cannot allow our
families to be shattered and our dreams to be
crushed. We must refuse to live any longer in the
shadows, refuse to live under slavery in any
form. It is time to take matters into our own
hands, to do once more what every migrant has
already done just by crossing the border ­ make
the decision to live, to survive together, no matter what they throw at us.

Let them deal with the ramifications of
attempting mass repression against a people in
resistance here, while they face a similar
problem overseas. Let them worry about alienating
Latin America and their European partners in war
and conquest. Let them worry about permanently
alienating the millions ­ Black and White - who
already support us, and who understand that the
powers that be are taking the nation toward
fascism. Let them worry what will happen when
they invade our barrios and workplaces in mass raids.

Let them worry while we organize; while we create
mass networks of direct action and resistance.
Let us truly follow the example of the Black
Civil Rights Movement and of the Black Power
Movement that followed it. The Black movement of
the 1950s and 60s was a resistance movement, one
that both obeyed the law, and which, through
civil disobedience and other strategies, broke
the law, as necessary, in obedience to a Higher Law.

Black people of that era laid their lives on the
line for their freedom. We can do no less.

Let us put the slogan to the test: ¡Un Pueblo Unido Jamás Será Vencido!

Si, se puede.

Juan Santos is an editor and writer in Los
Angeles. He can be reached at
<mailto:JuanSantos at Mexica.net>JuanSantos at Mexica.net