[News] Rice condones Israeli Kidnapping of PLC Speaker

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 7 11:41:04 EDT 2006

http://www.aljazeerah.info/7%20n/Rice%20condones%20Israeli%20Kidnapping%20of%20PLC%20Speaker,%20his%20wife%20suggests%20US%20is%20not%20interested%20in%20democracy.htm

Rice condones Israeli Kidnapping of PLC Speaker,
his wife suggests US is not interested in democracy

PNN, (Qalqilia) Mustafa Sabre Monday, 07 August 2006

Although Dr. Abdul Aziz Al-Duwaik is not the
first elected official Israeli occupation
terrorist forces kidnapped over the past several
months, he is by far the most senior member.

Around midnight of Saturday and Sunday Israeli
occupation terrorist forces stormed the home of
Palestinian Legislative Council Speaker Dr. Abdul
Aziz Al-Duwaik. PNN spoke with his wife.

The Israeli government declared open season on
elected Palestinian officials since they took
office after the democratic elections brought
them into power, going so far as to revoke
Jerusalem identification if they did not renounce
their membership in the winning Hamas party.

The Palestine News Network sat down with Dr.
Duwaik’s wife to ask her what exactly occurred
that fateful night and how she feels about the
current state of Israeli war against the
Palestinian government and the US support for it all.

PNN: Initially, the Palestine News Network would
like to welcome you to this special meeting.
Would you like to begin by telling us how the night of the arrest was?

Mrs. Duwaik: We had dinner together and then did
our evening prayers in our modest Ramallah home
in the Saif neighborhood. After a brief telephone
conversation with our daughter who studies
medicine in Britain, we heard powerful blasts at
the door. At that moment we felt that danger had
come. The doorbell was also ringing. Both sounds
were coming at the same time. Shortly after that,
it became apparent that it was the army as we
heard a soldier shouting in cruel tones to open the door.

PNN: What did Dr. Duwaik do?

Mrs. Duwaik: Azziz did not exhibit any confusion.
He addressed the official directly by saying,
‘Why the uproar over this matter? It need not be
such a huge procedure. If I had sent the request
myself I would not need such an unwarranted
campaign.’ The officer responded harshly,
demanding that my husband produce his
identification card as he was being arrested.

PNN: How did the Israeli soldiers behave?

Mrs. Duwaik: As normal, they act inappropriately
by screaming. And a soldier was physically severe
in a humiliating manner, intended to insult Dr.
Duwaik in front of his family members. This was
the general tone of all the soldiers, to humiliate and insult all of us.

PNN: What did the soldiers inside the house do with you?

Mrs. Duwaik: The barbaric behavior of the
soldiers came through as they demanded I not
speak, that I keep silent, but then a family
member of the soldiers would try to talk to me
and then beat me if I said anything.

PNN: What did they do to the home?

Mrs. Duwaik: When they entered the home they
confiscated Dr. Duwaik’s personal computer and
all of files that belong to the Palestinian
people, filled with issues that need crucially to
be addressed. They took all of the contacts for
people involved in the issues that our government
needs to deal with, all information on outstanding issues.

PNN: Did you expect that this arrest would come
as the Israeli military has arrested so many
government officials, particularly from the Hamas party?

Mrs. Duwaik: There was certainly a feeling that
the Israeli army would not allow anyone in the
government to be free and at large, continuing
with their work of running the government. And
Dr. Dweik was no exception in our minds as at the
beginning of this arrest campaign months ago,
Israeli forces did come to arrest him, but did not find him at home.

She added: However, the desire to work kept Dr.
Duwaik busy continuing the necessary business of
running a government and attending Legislative
Council meetings, as he had no intention to
paralyze the work of the PLC or disrupt the
Palestinian government anymore than it already
has been by the occupation. We know that this is
the intention of the occupation.

PNN: How do you view Dr. Aziz Duwaik’s arrest?

Mrs. Dweik: This arrest is illegal and unlawful
and is unacceptable as he is the elected head of
the Palestinian Legislative Council as its
Speaker. And everyone attests to his wisdom and
intelligence. He is a man who understands how the
issue of guns is divisive and was working hard to bring the Council together.

PNN: Is it possible to describe a typical work day?

Mrs. Duwaik: Dr. Aziz is one who works all of the
time, not less than 14 hours per day before his
arrest and at the moment of the arrest he was
busy working on files which are the property of
the Legislative Council for a meeting that was soon to follow.

PNN: And how did Dr. Duwaik perceive the current situation?

Mrs. Duwaik: Dr. Aziz was very optimistic and
always says things in the direction of relief and
solution, and trust in God, and that the great
cause is what is fair. He advocated the idea of
the national dialogue and helped to make it a success.

PNN: Were you contacted by the Israeli government
or officials or forces after the arrest and did
you contact other Palestinian government officials?

Mrs. Duwaik: I contacted MP Ahmed Bahar of Gaza
to give details of the arrest and we all affirmed
our solidarity with the Palestinian people, as
Dr. Aziz Duwaik represents the pulse of the
street as a whole. None of the Israeli forces or interrogators contacted me.

PNN: The US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice,
justified the Israeli arrest of Dr. Azziz Dweik. Can you comment on that?

Mrs. Duwaik: There is no right in the world to
arrest Dr. Duwaik. He was elected democratically
by the Palestinian people to represent them. The
international community was all here to witness
just how democratic the Palestinian behavior
during these elections was. Former US President
Jimmy Carter condoned our democratic process,
former presidential candidate John Kerry did the
same, and that is in addition to the hundreds of
international observers from the US and the
European Union who were here along with the former US officials.

She added: I am addressing Rice­would you allow
the American President or British Chairman of
Parliament to be arrested by outside forces due
to their political party? Why condone arrests of
elected representatives who advocate democracy.
Why are you working against them?

PNN: As of 12 May, Dr. Duwaik was permanently
living in Ramallah? He is originally from Hebron.

Mrs. Duwaik: Yes, and he did not have a chance to
go to Hebron, only once for one day, then he
returned to Ramallah in order to continue the government work here.

PNN: Is Dr. Duwaik living in a big house, in a
beautiful villa, as some claim, at the expense of the people?

Mrs. Duwaik: The house is very modest and anyone
can be certain that it is in the Saif
neighborhood in Ramallah. It consists of three
rooms, a living room, a kitchen, and bedrooms, like most Palestinian houses.

She said: It is our right to have a modest house,
and we accept it with all of its deficiencies. It
is fine for us. Being in the government does not
mean we live above the people, and beside,
personally, we are satisfied with very little.

PNN: What is your educational background and where was Dr. Duwaik born?

Mrs. Duwaik: I received a Bachelors Degree in
Mathematics. We have four boys and three girls.
Dr. Duwaik was born in 1948 in Egypt as his
mother was there for the birth. His father is
from Hebron in the southern West Bank.

PNN: And finally, Mrs. Duwaik, how was the
Doctor’s relationship with President Mahmoud Abbas?

Mrs. Duwaik: The relationship was and remains
excellent. Although they have diverging opinions
at times, there is a collective wisdom and
respect that helps them to work together in
managing the government and the day to day needs
of the Palestinian people and the occupation we
all live under. There is no competition between them.

PNN: Thank you, Mrs. Duwaik, for taking your time
to speak with PNN during such trying moments.

Mrs. Duwaik: You are most welcome.