[News] Stop the deportation of Maria Suarez

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 14 09:08:13 EDT 2004

STOP THE DEPORTATION OF MARIA SUAREZ.  INFORMATION ON HER CASE IS BELOW THE
ALERT.

Alert!!!
The Deadline is this Friday the 16th

Congresswoman Hilda Solis is currently circulating to Members of Congress a
letter to Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge and Undersecretary for
Border and Transporation Security Asa Hutchinson.  The letter urges Ridge
and Hutchinson to allow Maria Suarez to remain in the U.S. with her family.
Please call your Members of Congress and urge them to sign on to the Solis
letter to Ridge and Hutchinson!

If you are not sure who your Member of Congress is or what their contact
information is, call the Capitol operator at 202-224-3121 and ask to be
connected to the Representative or Senator who represents you. When you are
connected to the office, ask to speak to the person handling womens' or
immigration issues. Be prepared to leave a very short message as well as
your name and phone number. You can also look them up on line at
www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW.html

Thank you everyone for your continual support!!!

Maria sends her love and appreciation.

Patricia

Maria Suarez was released from prison on December 18, 2003 after serving 22
years of a 25 to life sentence. She was twice granted parole by the
California Board of Prison Terms and watched as her parole was nullified by
former Gov. Gray Davis and then postponed. Finally, ex-Gov. Davis permitted
her release, and Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger allowed her an "early" release
in November.

But what does freedom mean for Maria? Currently, it means confinement to a
new prison--San Pedro Federal Corrections Institute--and the promise of a
new trial that will decide her future. In less than 3 weeks, Maria could be
deported to Mexico, torn from the family and friends who have supported her
and given her hope for 22 years. Governor Schwarzenegger recently denied
her pardon application, which if granted would have allowed her to stay in
this country.

Such is the cruel fate of a woman who entered the United States legally at
the age of 16, to be procured for $200 by a 68 year old lecher, Rene
Covarrubias, who beat and raped her for five years. Though two neighbors
were convicted of killing Covarrubias, Maria was nevertheless implicated
for organizing the murder and convicted of first degree conspiracy in a
bogus trial. According to California Parole Board Commission Al Angele in
his July 2002 decision to grant Maria parole, there was never any evidence
to support her conviction.

Now, more than ever, WE NEED YOUR HELP! Please help us give Maria her life
back. Write a letter to BICE (formerly, the INS) urging them to drop the
deportation proceedings against Maria.

Write a letter to the Governor urging him to reconsider his decision to
deny Maria a full and unconditional pardon.

Write to your federal members of Congress urging them to support a private
bill, introduced by Congresswoman Hilda Solis, that will help Maria avoid
deportation proceedings.

Go to www.womaninprison.org for more info on Maria.

This is a statement Maria wrote shortly after ex-Governor Davis denied her
parole:

We cannot give up. I actually believe that this is not over. As a matter of
fact, the Governor's answer gives me ammunition and this war is just
starting again.

I am feeling many different things at this time. Of course I am very hurt.
But what causes me the most distress is the pain this decision by the
Governor has caused, is causing my family. I called my family and they were
so sad to hear my brother cry over the phone. It broke my heart. My mother
is 84 years old and I don't know if she will be able to maintain her health
with the stress of this disappointment. Gray Davis is not only punishing
me, he is now punishing my entire family. This has been a cruel emotional
roller coaster ride for my entire family. I am very close to my family and
their pain is my pain.

As for me, I am going to adjust. I know how to serve time. In all
actuality, I have served twenty-six years in prison. The crime, being
beaten, raped, and isolated was certainly as hellish as prison. And I have
served twenty-one years at CIW. Surely I have been punished enough for
having been a naive, ignorant girl who was sold into slavery.

I am hurt and I am angry. I will use my pain and anger to help me fight
this negative situation in the most positive ways I can. This Governor's
decision feels like cruel punishment to me and to my innocent family. But I
have faith in God that He will help me through all of this.

Thank you again for your kindness and support.