[News] court cases against US Ambassador to Venezuela

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 13 08:53:30 EDT 2004

International court cases to be brought against US Ambassador to Venezuela,
Charles S. Shapiro

<http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=17335>http://www.vheadline.com/readnews.asp?id=17335

VHeadline.com correspondent Philip Stinard writes: On April 11, in Caracas,
the Venezuelan group ASOVIC (Association of Victims of the April 11, 2002
coup against Hugo Chavez) announced that they would file charges in US
courts, and in the World Court in the Hague, against US Ambassador to
Venezuela, Charles Shapiro, for his involvement in sniper shootings at the
Llaguno Bridge during the coup at the Miraflores Palace that left several
people dead, including a journalist.

According to a statement released by Merly Morales, a spokeswoman for the
lawyers representing ASOVIC, there are elements for conviction, which in
our judgment, serve as evidence to ask for the opening of an inquiry before
US courts and the appropriate international tribunalsagainst Ambassador
Shapiro. Such evidence ranges from special courses in assault given by US
authorities to members of the Caracas Metropolitan Police Phoenix Group and
Chacao and Baruta municipal police in the months of October 2001 and with
greater frequency in March and the first days of April 2002, to
conversations recorded in the Center of Operations of the Metropolitan
Police on April 11 of that year (2002) between Commissioner Forero and
Ambassador Shapiro during the hours of greatest intensity of shots fired by
members of the aforementioned police institution (Caracas Metropolitan
Police) against people concentrated in the areas immediately surrounding
the Miraflores Palace.

In addition, there is also evidence presented by the (Chavez)
administration relating to the presence in Venezuelan territory of US ships
on April 11, as well as (US) military personnel in the military
installations at Fort Tiuna that would lead one to believe that there was
an act of State committed against the constitutional government of
Venezuela that directly affected members of our association that were
injured and killed.

With reference to a court case brought against Hugo Chavez before the World
Court in The Hague by opposition groups, Morales continues, a group of
Venezuelan citizens, tied to international conspiratorial factors that
participated in, and still participate in, plots against the President,
asked for an investigation before the Prosecutor of the World Court in The
Hague against our Head of State and other high officials for supposed
crimes against humanity; this obligates us to take part in these legal
processes because we are direct victims of these processes, and (we do
this) in honor of dismantling the international judicial landscape
activated by the coup leaders, who were the true ones responsible for those
occurrences (the shootings).

Zeus 32 Americana, aka US Ambassador Charles Shapiro

The tapes of Caracas Metropolitan Police conversations referred to in the
complaint to be filed by ASOVIC were made available to Radio Nacional de
Venezuela (RNE) by Commissioner Leonardo Navas (Metropolitan Police) in
November last year. In an interview broadcast on Venezolana de Television
(VTV), Navas denounces the involvement of the Metropolitan Director of
Police, Henry Vivas in a conspiracy that sought the overthrow of President
Hugo Chavez, and states that the police kept Ambassador Shapiro informed of
all occurrences that took place with respect to the assault on the
pro-Chavez demonstrators near the Palace as they happened.

Navas states first of all, I want to say that I appeal to the freedom of
conscience that is established in Article 61 of the National Constitution,
and then I must state that what you are going to hear on this tape are
several things that are very delicate, and which implicate several police
authorities in a conspiracy in the acts which occurred on April 11 (2002)."

"It is important that these be made known, and I come here to make this
(tape) public because I dont want to be involved in the cover-up of
criminal activities. On the tape, it is clearly evident how the
Metropolitan Police participated in the crucial moment of the 11th of
April, and several things that they have tried to cover up will be revealed.

As the tape plays, one can hear a conversation between various police
officials, who indicate that they have taken various roof tops of buildings
in the center of Caracas, in the vicinity of the opposition march. One can
also hear the voice of a person who identifies himself as Sun 1... who in
this case is Metropolitan Police Director Vivas ... talking to Sun 2...
Lazaro Forero, current Commander of this police force ... asking for
updates. Forero informs Vivas that the talibans(referring to the pro-Chavez
demonstrators on Llaguno Bridge), are shooting back at them, and the police
cant leave their current location. He adds that, the Phoenix Group must arm
itself with long-range riflesto neutralize those people.

Navas continues: This is a 120 minutes tape and I selected the most
relevant parts, but I must say that you can hear that they were stationed
on the rooftops of the buildings on Baralt Avenue. Some people have said
that, hours before, in the morning or at noon on April 11, there were
supposedly snipers ... and if that theory were true, how is it that you
hear that the Metropolitan Police are on these same roofs and that there
are no people being detained?  That shows that it was the police who were
on the roofs, (not snipers). Furthermore, the police indicate that they
were being shot at from below. All of this is clear evidence that the
(Metropolitan Police) institution was loaned to a sector of the population,
in this case the opposition.

Later, one can hear on the tape a voice asking someone to call Zeus 32
Americana... the code word for US Ambassador to Venezuela, Charles Shapiro.
Nava continues this raises suspicion or calls attention to the fact that,
in this crucial moment, when they should be paying more attention to what
is happening on Baralt Avenue, they ask to speak to someone who has nothing
to do with this ... this is interference in the internal affairs of the
country.

All of this will be public proof, well-known and widely communicated, that
any prosecutor can use officially to initiate a criminal investigation; and
we can demonstrate that, truly, some members of the (police) institution
were involved in the situation that occurred on April 11; and with the
deaths and injuries, we are looking at several crimes. Commissioners
Forero, Vivas, and Delgado must know that the police ... by acting in a
disproportionate manner ... entering forcefully to neutralize people who at
that moment were not using their guns or presenting any resistance,
increasing the activity of an institution that, rather than reestablishing
public order, subverted public order.

The tapes can be heard at:
<http://rnv.gov.ve/noticias/?act=ST&f=28&t=1742>http://rnv.gov.ve/noticias/?act=ST&f=28&t=1742

Footage of the assault can be viewed in the documentary "The Revolution
Will Not Be Televised." A second documentary on the rooftop assault:
Llaguno Bridge: Keys to a Massacreis in production and will cover some
aspects not covered in the first documentary.

This report was compiled with information
from Venpres and Radio Nacional de Venezuela.