[News] Filmmaker trying to open Emmett Till case

News at freedomarchives.org News at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 14 11:33:29 EDT 2004

Lawmakers want 1955 Mississippi murder reopened
Filmmaker claims new evidence in killing of black teenager

 From Amita Nerurkar/CNN

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Brooklyn filmmaker says he has new evidence he believes
could reopen the 1955 murder case of Emmett Till -- a 14-year-old
African-American whose violent murder helped trigger the U.S. civil-rights
movement of the late 1950s.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-New York, and Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, have
urged the federal government to re-examine Till's case based on the
research of Keith Beauchamp, who said he has recorded several eyewitness
accounts of the events surrounding the Till murder during the past nine
years. Beauchamp is making a documentary film titled "The Untold Story of
Emmett Louis Till."

Till, a Chicago native, was visiting family in Money, Mississippi, in
August 1955 when he allegedly whistled at a white woman. This led to Till's
kidnapping and eventual brutal murder.

The case received national media attention and led to the trial of two
white men, who were acquitted by an all-white jury. The men later
confessed, but the case was never reopened. Both men have since died.

"I have interviewed witnesses who have never spoke out about the murder of
Emmett Till before," Beauchamp said. "Some of them were young at the time.
I have interviewed everyone ... (about) the day of the so-called wolf whistle.

"I have also interviewed the people that were in the house the night Emmett
Till was abducted from his home," Beauchamp added. "So it's a lot of
material such as that, that I have. And I think it will prove critical in
getting this case reopened."

Beauchamp said the witnesses told him there were seven additional men tied
to Till's murder, some of them still living.

He said he met with the U.S. attorney for the northern district of
Mississippi, Jim Greenlee, in February to show him a rough cut of the
documentary and urge him to reopen Till's case.

Greenlee's office referred CNN to the U.S. attorney general's office in
Washington. A spokesman there did not immediately return a call for comment.

Schumer and Rangel said they want the case reopened in light of Beauchamp's
interviews and research, and they plan a congressional resolution urging
that action.

"The murder of Emmett Till was one of the seminal moments in our nation's
civil-rights movement and the failure to bring his murderers to justice
remains a stain on America's record of reconciliation," Schumer said.
"Today, I call on Attorney General Ashcroft to fulfill the promise he made
at his confirmation hearings to fully enforce America's civil-rights laws.
In this rare instance, justice delayed may not be justice denied."

Find this article at:
<http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/04/13/till.murder.case/index.html>http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/04/13/till.murder.case/index.html