[News] IMPORTANT HAITI INFORMATION

claude claude at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 17 13:49:27 EST 2003

AHP December 15, 2003 3:00 PM

-----------------Translator's note: The following account of the
demonstrations in front of the National Palace was written by Michelle
Karshan, Foreign Press Liaison at the National Palace. This report has no
connection with AHP, but may be of some interest in light of the attention
the demonstrations have been receiving. ---- It is in turn followed by the
English translation of President Aristide's press conference on December
10.------

 From Michelle Karshan, Foreign Press Liaison, National Palace (011509)
228-2058

Rough notes on Friday's events that may have thus far not been reported.
(The following is based on a combination of radio broadcasts of events and
interviews (radio stations across the band), National Television reporting,
conversations with US and local press present at events, and my own
observations.

As I said in an earlier email, Thursday night popular organizations came
out to stand vigilant in front of the National Palace, to guard the
people's choice.  Cars circulated Thursday night and Friday morning (again
when pro-government masses were taking to the streets) shooting
indiscriminately into crowds (approx. 10 shot, approx. 7 dead.  See below
for some details).

Nevertheless, in sharp contrast to the violent demands of the opposition
for the immediate overthrow of the government, the people took to the
streets by the tens of thousands Friday to call for respect of the
constitutional mandate of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Tens of thousands (seen on National Television and reports by press
present) of pro-government supporters marched through the streets of
downtown Port-au-Prince Friday morning to mid-day.  Amongst them were
women, children, elderly and students who identified themselves as the
Collective of University Students, and parliamentary and local
representatives from throughout the country.

The majority responds to the minority. With both hands thrust in the air
displaying all five fingers on each hand to represent the five-year
presidential term and the people's will to see the President finish his
term, people chanted, "Elections, YES!  Coup d'etat, NO! Aristide for FIVE
YEARS!"

People said if the opposition thinks they are the majority then why don't
they go to elections to prove it.  (To date the opposition has sabotaged
all efforts to hold elections.)

The people expressed their commitment to democracy and its processes saying
that if after Aristide's term of five years is over, whoever runs for
President and is democratically elected, then their term will be respected,
no matter who it is, but that the five years of this President must be
allowed to finish its term.

Representatives of the Collective, a pro-government group of public and
private university students, spoke to the press (aired on National
Television) and said they also denounce the violent incident that took
place at one of the universities last week but that they stand for
education and that it is patriotic to go to school and as such they stand
against the closing of the schools.  Schools have been closed because of
the demonstrations held by the opposition.  They said yes to schooling, no
to closing the universities!

The people who flooded the streets - diverse members of the popular
movement -- were heard on numerous radio stations across the band as well
as on the National Television. People also came out in different towns and
also were interviewed on the radio stations, particularly Radio Ginen. Some
spoke of a class struggle between the rich and the poor. Many denounced the
former army and reiterated the people's determination not to go
backwards.  In response to Dany Toussaint's comments Thursday, many people
interviewed said the people are watching the former military, and now Dany
is standing face to face against the people once again as the military
did.  They said they say no to going backwards, and reiterated that the
people have chosen democracy as the way!

Saying that children need schooling, families need food and houses to live
in, the people said they will not go backwards, only forwards in
solidarity.  They asked for respect for the people's choice.

People said that the opposition is trying to boycott and sabotage the
upcoming 2004 bicentennial celebrations - plunging Haiti into violence and
paralysis.  People said the masses are for Jean-Bertrand Aristide and will
continue to mobilize for 2004.

People said, There will be no coup d'etat in the country again.  The people
are clear, the Haitian people have stood up. No to anarchy, yes to
democracy!  They cannot bring down the resistance of the people!  No matter
what, the President will finish his term.

Some people addressed the university students who were working with the
opposition, asking them not to allow themselves to be manipulated by the
opposition by gifts of visas or money.  They also said they don't want
ambassadors to visit universities anymore because they are luring people
with offers of visas.

Some people interviewed said that former military and FRAPH members had
infiltrated the "student" march the day before (on Thursday) swelling the
numbers of persons in their march.

People said they will remain vigilant in the streets throughout the country
to demand respect for democratic principles.

Mario Dupuy, the Secretary of State for Communications, said, "We will
protect the rights of all citizens`All people should help the police to
protect the radio stations."
He also said, "We will continue to mobilize and celebrate in peace our
bicentennial of independence." The police secured various radio stations.

I spoke with three journalists who each visited the hospital on Friday at
different times during the day.  They interviewed persons (two of the
journalists told me they were persons who identified themselves as
militants who were taking to the streets in support of the government) who
were shot either Thursday night or Friday morning by cars circulating (some
said without license plates) and shooting indiscriminately at people.  One
person was shot by the marketplace downtown, one on Rue Pavee, one woman
was injured when she fled from a car that was speeding at people.

Kevin Pina interviewed these gunshot victims on film.  (Press can contact
me for his contact information).  (Evens Sanon photographed these
victims.  Press can contact me for his contact information).  (Amy Bracken
of Reuters interviewed these victims).  As I said, from talking with these
journalists I estimated that approximately 10 persons were at the General
Hospital as a result of these shootings.  Approximately 7 of them died on
Friday.

As for the gentleman (Andre Jean-Marie) I talked about in my earlier email,
it seems that he had arrived in a car near the Palace Thursday evening to
join other popular organizations in front of the Palace to give his support
to the President, when he was struck by bullets.  Kevin Pina describes the
tragic incident as follows:

Dear Friends,

It is with great grief and sadness that I inform you of the assassination of
my dear friend Andre Jan-Marie the evening of December 11, 2003. He was
killed in a drive by shooting near the National Palace by unknown
assailants who apparently followed his vehicle and waited for him to leave
his car. Andre had gone to the palace for a literacy campaign meeting
earlier that same evening but had returned to lend his presence to the
thousands of supporters camped in front of the palace to defend their
constitutional president, Jean-Bertrand Aristide.

Andre was the coordinator of the government's literacy program in
Petion-Ville and his only crime was that he was committed to teaching the
poor majority how to read and write. He was also a co-founder of the SOPUDEP
school that serves the poorest children in Petion-Ville. I am affiliated
with the school and can testify to the difference it has made to the
community.

Andre is survived by his wife and two young sons. He is truly a hero in the
struggle for democracy on behalf of Haiti's poor majority. He will always
live in hearts and dreams for a better Haiti. God bless you and keep you
safe Andre Jan-Marie.

Sincerely,

Kevin Pina
December 13, 2003
Port au Prince, Haiti

Andre Jean-Marie, in his late thirties, was the official coordinator of the
literacy program in Petionville.  When the literacy centers noticed that
parents were bringing their children with them to the literacy centers to
also learn how to read and write, Mr. Jean-Marie and others discovered that
these very poorest of the poor families could not access education for
their children (see below).  (This brings to mind the IDB loans, one of
which is for expansion of schools, and which still have not been released
to the government of Haiti).

As a result, Mr. Jean-Marie and others founded and oversaw a non-profit
elementary school in Petionville (SOPUDEP). The building the school was in
was seized by the government and turned over for non-profit use.

Just this week a peace and justice delegation from the Church of St. Joan
of Arc in Minnesota met with this school and interviewed its director and
Mr. Jean-Marie.  They have this interview on film.  The head of this
delegation is Paul Miller.  They returned to Minnesota today as scheduled.
(Press interested in contact information for Paul Miller can contact me).

The Church of St. Joan of Arc described SOPUDEP in their delegation
materials prior to arriving in Haiti as follows:

"SOPUDEP.  A local community group that has started an elementary school in
the former residence of a former Ton Ton Macoute member.  The school
provides education for children whose parents could not afford to send them
to school and could not find a place for them in the over crowded
classrooms of the already overwhelmed public schools system."

PRESS CONFERENCE BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC, HIS EXCELLENCY
JEAN-BERTRAND ARISTIDE, ON THE OCCASION OF INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS DAY.

Opening speech by President ARISTIDE :

Dear friends, good afternoon! You are more than welcome in the home of the
People.

Today is a day when everyone in the world thinks about human rights, the
rights everyone must respect. That is why I chose to meet with you today,
you from the Press, to talk about human rights that everyone must respect.

Symbolically, here with me is Minister Antonio, the Minister of Foreign
Affairs, a mother whose child was killed by criminals who don¹t respect
human rights. It was [Police] Captain Bonnet, who was killed by murderers
last November 17th, at three o¹clock in the afternoon. They didn¹t respect
his rights. He was fighting people who are in drug trafficking, they killed
him. With Mommy Inès, who is Captain Bonnet¹s mother, is his brother, Jean
Bradley, who is a policeman also.

In the name of the State, in the name of the Government, I embrace Mommy
Inès once again for your courage, and for the way you are going through the
pain. Your pain is all of our pain too.

I have a mother, all of us who have a mother, we can imagine how you are
suffering, being a mother who just lost a great son who was in the police
and who was doing his job.

We share the same condolences with the entire Bonnet family who is not
here. Jean Bradley, courage. Keep hanging in there where you are working in
the police so you can always continue to protect and to serve everyone¹s
rights like the Constitution asks the police to do.

We have this meeting symbolically today, because Mommy Inès who is here
represents several mothers who see their children being victims throughout
the country, or last Friday, which saw their child being a victim in what
happened in the Faculty of Sciences and in INAGHEI.

Since Friday night, we, the State, the Government, in the note signed by
the Prime Minister, we say this is unacceptable. And we condemn it without
reservation.

Monday, the Prime Minister continued to express our position. Today, I
continue to express that same position.

What happened last Friday is unacceptable. Under no circumstances can we
tolerate those unacceptable acts. This is a condemnation of violence,
wherever it comes from, wherever it comes from, without distinction.

We are pacifists.

We want peace to reign in Haiti.

This is why we have always condemned violence.

And we will never, never accept to give in to violence.

With the law, the Constitution, the rights, in this dynamic that is there
to build a state of rights, we reaffirm our determination to protect Human
Rights on this day where everywhere, we hold hands for the protection of
all human rights.

I had the occasion to speak with Rector Paquiot Sunday morning. Once again,
I renew our sympathy. Vice-rector Laleau, teachers, students, students¹
parents, everyone who is shocked, who is scandalized, you are right to be
because this is unacceptable. A university is a sacred place. Students
should never see people violate the place where they are nurturing their
intelligence so that they can serve the country tomorrow.

It is clear that whether it is people who choose to violate those places to
take advantage of the students¹ position, when they use violence, we cannot
shut our eyes not to see that or not to condemn it.

So in a word, I take the occasion to renew our solidarity with all citizens
who fight for the respect of human rights.

Many students spoke up and showed how they are not happy about what
happened. We agree with them because we are not happy either about what
happened. Whether it is in the Faculty of Sciences or in Inaghei, always,
in every faculty, in every school, people must never tolerate people who
use violence.

I remember last year, in many schools, some people had chosen to change
themselves into false students to use violence. Others financed the
movement of false students so they could use violence.

We say it is: "Unacceptable."

In a country where we don¹t have many schools for the number of young
people who want to go to school, we cannot tolerate people who take their
money to dress people to pose as schoolboys and girls, as false students,
to disturb education.

I ask all authorities concerned to be as one with parents to protect the
education space, because it is a sacred space, to protect the schoolboys
and girls, the students. Because they are the country¹s future.

Judicial authorities must also assume their responsibilities. They must
arrest people who must be arrested. And that is why on Friday, when I was
on the phone, following how the situation was going on, I was happy to
learn that they arrested a policeman who was among the false students who
were inside one of the faculties where they were shooting on people in the
street. If there are accomplices, if there is infiltration, we will not
accept it. It is unacceptable. Judicial authorities, police authorities,
all authorities with the law in hand, we must work together so that peace
returns, so that rights are respected.

Today is a day where we speak about human rights. And for the second part
of my intervention, before you start asking questions, I want to speak
about the rights people have to vote.

We cannot deny people their right to vote. When people go to elections,
when they vote, it is a right they exercise.

Everyone must respect that right.

When the people want to go to elections to cast their ballot, it is a
sacred right. Everyone must respect that right.

That is why, under such circumstances, elections is a path we must take.
And so, we have the obligation to respect the right of Haitians to vote.
And the right they have to vote again. I ask everyone who is concerned to
do everything possible so that while we work to continue to improve human
rights, we respect the rights that people have to vote.

The rights people have to vote is directly, directly connected with that
truth, the truth that everyone counts. In a society where everyone counts,
when a person votes, we must count his right. When a person wants to go
vote in good free, honest and democratic elections, they must count that
too. If it is a society where there is an apartheid, then, they will deny
the right to vote of a certain category of people. If it is a democratic
society, they will respect everyone¹s right to vote. Because everyone counts.

Secondly, it is not confrontation, but dialogue that will lead us to the
holding of free, honest and democratic elections. If some actors still
believe that there is not enough security for them to send their people in
the consensus electoral council, because it is that council that will
organize the elections, it is clear that they have the right to hold such a
position.

But democracy requires that we use dialectical arms and not deadly arms.
Confrontation is excluded, we are open to dialogue to tackle the problems
related to the holding of elections. And then, progressively, we reach a
democratic compromise and we organize elections together, with security for
all, of course.

So, it is important that when we talk about respecting human rights, we
don¹t forget the rights people have to vote, in order to respect that when
they vote. The rights people have to vote and the duty we have as citizens
to facilitate a solution through compromise.

When we talk about human rights, we also talk about duty. All citizen have
duties. And we have the responsibility to accomplish our duty with respect,
so that through dialogue, we go through the path the Constitution demands,
which is the path of elections.

Besides the citizens¹ rights, there are also economic rights. So when we
talk about human rights, we must not forget rights and duties.

I have the right to eat.

You have the right to eat.

It is not a favor, it is a right every Haitian has to eat. You must know
how the embargo keeps every Haitian from eating well. It is not only the
embargo that causes that, but it is one of the causes. That means that
here, there is a flagrant violation of human rights, the right to eat.

Too often, we forget that right, even though it is a sacred right. That is
why those who exercised their civic duty to go to elections to send me here
in the home of the people expect from me this solemn call for the respect
of all the rights, including the right to eat.

When everyone respects all those rights, the society will be more
beautiful, peace will increase, everyone will be happier.

Congratulations to Cité Soleil who celebrated its Holiday yesterday in
peace, despite the hunger there is in the entire country and in Cité Soleil
too.

Because they are civilized people, they don¹t let the problem of eating
keep them away from peace. And it is the entire Haitian people I embrace
respectfully when I know how they don¹t let the problem of hunger, which is
a violation of the right they have to eat, keep them from moving forward on
the path of peace.

In this sense, everyone must do everything they can so that together, we
protect all those rights.

The Electoral Council is essential.

I encourage all institutions involved, through dialogue, to send their
people to the Electoral Council so they can take the oath. While with the
actions put down and displayed, with sustained dialogue, we lay the land so
that the country, which will soon celebrate its 200th anniversary of
independence, can offer the electoral space which is the best way to solve
many of our political problems.

With the questions you will ask, we can end. So I hope that even though not
everyone will have time to ask questions, but some of you will have the
occasion to ask questions.

CLAUDY JEAN-JACQUES (National Radio of Haiti):

My question is about the celebration of the bicentennial of the country¹s
independence. Indeed, we are just a few days from this great celebration,
which is a national event, that has an international impact.

Unfortunately, on this day, Haiti is going through a troubled time in some
parts of the country. I would like you to send a special message to the
Haitian population, no matter what their political leanings are.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Well, since we were talking about Gonaïves earlier, I¹ll answer the
question with Gonaïves in mind. Maybe you saw last night on television the
C.N.E. equipment they burned in Gonaïves. It is not the first time they
burned equipment. They burned equipment in Péligre. They burned equipment a
first time on the road to Gonaïves, near Saint-Marc. They burned it a third
time too.

People who have a good civic sense, good patriotic sense, that hurts them
because they know the country doesn¹t have much money, there is an embargo.
So when it can do the impossible to buy equipment to make roads, then we
must encourage people who do those beautiful works, we must not burn the
equipment.

And I am certain many people in Gonaïves are mad when they see that 2, 3
persons burn that equipment. Because it is not everybody in Gonaïves, but
it is a very small, and I did say very small, amount of persons you can
count on your fingers.

Us, we choose not to answer violence with violence.

We choose to identify the guilty parties even if that takes time. So that
when we work against impunity, through law to get the guilty parties, we
don¹t leave any space for the innocent to pay for the guilty. That can
explain how sometimes there is a certain slowness when the police and
justice are working. So, with the image of Gonaïves, we can talk of the
reality of the entire country, which is that when a person receives money
to burn the equipment the State is using to make roads, everyone must be
united in peace to say: "No, this is not normal, this is not good." And
that way, the country will move forward better towards the end of the crisis.

A FOREIGN JOURNALIST (WEEKLY NEWSPAPER "L¹EXPRESS"):

Excellency, I would like to know if because of the convergence of
statements about the December 5th incidents, this black Friday, all
statements say the same thing on one point: the collusion between policemen
in uniform and rioting gangs.

I would like to know what the disciplinary and judicial consequences will be?

And furthermore, you underlined the crucial character of the right to
expression through voting.

What does that mean in terms of a calendar, time limit, for both the
formation of the electoral council and the date of the next legislative
elections ?

Thank you.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Thank you. Since I talked about it in one of our two official languages,
Creole, I¹ll try to be quick, since the translation of what I said earlier
can complete the answer.

I asked judicial authorities, police authorities, authorities concerned to
do everything to identify the guilty parties. And give them proportional
sanctions, in accordance with the law. In this sense, there is an inquiry
commission that has already started to work. And I even pointed out the
arrest of a policeman, according to the information I received, who was put
in prison so as not to let impunity destroy our society.

So I can only encourage all authorities concerned to do everything in order
to punish the guilty parties, in conformity with the law. May peace come
back, may teachers, parents and we, at the level of the government, may we
stimulate that peaceful process that must necessarily end up on a State of
Right.

About the second question.

According to the law, it is up to the electoral council, together with the
authorities concerned to set a date for the holding of free, honest and
democratic elections.

The current provisionary electoral council received clear instructions. As
all the state authorities: to move forward by preparing the electoral field
to give the responsibility to the consensus electoral council, once its
members accept to take the oath.

We are late, because before January, we will have to face a partial void in
the legislative corps since only one-third of the Senate will be left.

They are elected, we must continue to respect their duties, their rights.
And so, they will work.

But with the two-thirds of the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies absent,
without forgetting the mayors, ASECS, CASECS, other elected ones, we will
have a void.

And that is why I encourage all institutions concerned to send their
members so they can take the oath and begin to assume their
responsibilities. That includes the possibility to propose a date for the
holding of the next elections. Me, I don¹t have the power to propose a
date. I hope that when the time comes, we will know when the next elections
will be. For myself, the sooner the better. It is clear that we will not
have elections before the end of this year, but it is possible to have them
at the beginning of 2004. It is something I wish for with all my heart.

JACQUES DESROSIERS (RADIO ARC-EN-CIEL) :

President, in your different interventions, you always speak about the
economic embargo. We wonder why you speak of an economic embargo when, in
the last decree that amends the National Assembly¹s special convocation, it
is said that loan agreements with the BID [IDB] will be ratified.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Thank you. The economic embargo is not in contradiction with the recent
signature of loan agreements.

Even before I returned to the Palace for a second term, we have been under
an embargo. That means that the money lent to the Haitian State has been
blocked. And meanwhile, we have been paying interest on those loans. The
first 5 million dollars we paid in 2001 was interest on an amount of money
we borrowed, but which was never given to us. That is an aspect of the embargo.

When you look at the consequences on the entire country today, you cannot
forget those consequences. There probably are people who died younger
because of the medication they couldn¹t buy, or because of an accident on a
bad road, or because of a bad diet, and those are consequences of the embargo.

When the government tightens its belt to build all those schools, all those
colleges, to repair all those kilometers of road, to build more, to invest
in healthcare, we are happy because we fulfill our duties.  But we cannot
forget that we could do much more if there was no embargo.

So, the backwardness accumulated cannot be a simple thing because it is
about human beings who need to live every day in normal conditions, not
subhuman conditions.

In that same state of mind, up until now, the BID made good steps when it
agreed to unblock [the loans], (it hasn¹t been unblocked yet), when it
agreed to unblock 201.9 million dollars. If we didn¹t have a Parliament to
ratify those agreements, we would have to wait.

And then again, we have the obligation to think seriously, without letting
scatterbrains provoke us to distract us. We must not get distracted.

The more we wait to have the next elections, the more we¹ll have to wait to
have a Parliament. And then, how can we ratify the loan agreements through
the Parliament? Close to 500 billion dollars are blocked. So, for now, the
Parliament has ratified part of that money.

When someone says they care for Haitians, you must be serious. That means
you must fulfill your duty as a citizen so that we can organize elections
in a civilized way, in order to have a Parliament that is ready to ratify
the next agreements sponsors will agree to send for ratification.

And so this is serious and we must assume our responsibilities seriously.
In that context, we are very happy about the relationships now between the
government and the sponsors, especially the BID [IDB]. We believe that the
more time that goes by, the more our relations will give birth to other
financial possibilities so that we can ease misery, fight infrastructure
problems and allow that people who are brave, who have great patience, to
stop paying the consequences of an unjust embargo like it has been doing up
until now.

Maybe two more questions, so that I don¹t take anymore advantage of Mommy
Inès¹ patience.

A journalist asked (in English) whether the President thinks that current
political problems will prevent monies to fight AIDS from continuing to be
given for Haiti in the future.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE:

Thank you. I¹m very proud when I realize how we could develop a good
partnership between the private and the public sector. Here in Haiti,
regarding this issue, I always ask that they work together, public and
private sector.

And they¹re facing this issue, yes, they did what we expected, I mean they
work together. And when I see the international community with the Haitian
private and public sectors working together, of course I feel encouraged
and I¹m convinced what they are doing will prevent Haiti to register more
people infected by that virus.

When we have more than three hundred thousand Haitians already infected,
it¹s too much. So the good work of those who are concerned are doing from
the private, public sectors, here from the international community, all
together, I encourage that work and I¹m convinced, as I said, that it will
improve the conditions of life for Haitians to face a better future.

As you can observe, for the past couple of years, we had political problems.

But it wasn¹t enough to prevent the private, the public and the
international sectors from working together and this is what I think. We
will address the political problems in each country, you may find political
crises as we face political difficulties. With each of any real democratic
process, to dialogue, we address issues, never with violence, always with
dialogue, like the Constitution, searching for a way for those who invest
their time, energy and financial resources in this area of AIDS.

A last question, if there is one.

Responding to another question asked in English about Haiti's claim for
restitution from France and the President's meeting with France's
Ambassador to Haiti earlier that morning:

Thank you. Yes, we met this morning and it¹s part of my responsibility.
Each time it is possible or each time it is necessary for the President to
meet an ambassador, we do that as we did this morning and it went very
well. Because this is part of our way to assume our responsibility. Good
way to exchange, to dialogue.

And this is the same dialogue in which I choose to address that issue, I
mean, restitution. In the past, I said it, today, I say it again to you and
in the future I will continue to say the same.

Never through confrontation, always through dialogue, addressing such
issues as restitution. And I do believe we did it and we will continue to
do it.

It is still possible for political parties in the opposition, through
dialogue, for the good of the country, to participate in the coming
elections and in the preparation of the path leading to the elections. The
electoral council is an essential step to take. And there also, as I said,
it is a question of the right to vote, respect of the right of people who
voted and respect of the right of those who want to vote. Because to
express yourself through voting is the best way to stimulate any democratic
process.

About January 1st, all Haitians, I repeat it again, all Haitians, I repeat
it again, it is in your interest, because you don¹t have chains in your
feet, and if you don¹t have them in your brains, it is in your interest to
speak, to dialogue peacefully and to prepare that beautiful celebration
together because this is not about the future of a group of Haitians, but
it is about the future of all Haitians, including those living on foreign land.

Thank you.

President Jean-Bertrand Aristide

National Palace, December 10 2003