[Ppnews] Veronza Bowers Statement to Journey for Justice March

Political Prisoner News PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Aug 15 08:34:00 EDT 2005

Veronza Bowers Statement to the August 13, 2005
Journey for Justice Rally in Washington, D.C.

[]

Former Political Prisoner Ashanti Alston reading Veronza's statement at the
rally.

Through the voice of my beloved brother Ashanti, I am honored to be able to
send my very warmest greetings of love and solidarity to each and every one
of you gathered here
 and especially to you who are the mothers and
fathers, the sisters and brothers and family members and just plane ole
good friends of us who are being held captive in these houses for the
so-called wretched-of-the-earth.
So, named after my father, I am Veronza Bowers, Jr. I am a former member of
the original Black Panther Party and have been held in federal prison for
almost 32 years. I am just one of the many long-held Political Prisoners
whom government officials officially claim do not exist in the U.S. of A.
Leaving aside the mockery to Lady Justice that was my trial, I was
convicted primarily on the words of two paid "informants" testimonies
(sound familiar?) in the shooting death of a National Park Service Ranger.
On April 7th of last year, after serving the full 30 years required by
statute enacted by Congress, I was supposed to have been released on
Mandatory Parole
 but today marks the 503rd day of my unlawful detention!
Justice should be made of truer stuff!
I wish that I could be here with you to share in this great and historical
occasion, this heart-warming occasion
 not to speak before you, but rather
to feel with you the power of the love, caring and concern that is being
generated by all of you and felt by each
 the Power of the People gathered
together with love and concern for us is a mighty power that has to be
recognized and reckoned with.
That's what it's all about: love, caring and concern. It's about family

it's about the communities from which we are being snatched at an alarming
rate. Our your, your sons & daughters, brothers & sisters and friends are
filling up these prisons with sentences longer than they've been on this
earth
 they are filling the graveyards before they've had a chance to
live. Something is dreadfully wrong with this picture!

[]

Jericho National Co-Chair Efia Nwangaza speaking at the rally.

Yes, many of our youth get caught up in the deadly trap of selling drugs
(tryin' to come up!) as a means to acquire some of the good things that
life has to offer
 and yes! selling drugs is against the law
 but, should
that consign them to a life behind prison walls for 20, 30, 45 years, even
life without the possibility of parole?! Something is terribly wrong with
this picture! However, we cannot simply press a button and change the
channel, but we can continue to do things like you are gathered here today
doing: Let your collective voice be heard
 let the ones who enacted these
laws know that something must be done­NOW!
 that we need our sons &
daughters and brothers & sisters back home with us in our communities. What
happened to "A second chance"?
Please, can we have a full minute of silence to remember and honor all
those who have gone before us in our struggle.
For a better future for us all.
After the silence I salute and thank you

Veronza Bowers, Jr.

Write to Veronza!
Veronza Bowers #35316-136,
FCC Medium C-1,