[Pnews] Coronavirus being used to intimidate Palestinians inside Israeli prisons, says group

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Fri Oct 2 11:38:40 EDT 2020

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-israel-palestine-prisoners-intimidated-pandemic
Coronavirus
being used to intimidate Palestinians inside Israeli prisons, says group
By Shatha Hammad in Ramallah, Occupied West Bank
October 2, 2020
------------------------------

Shorouq Dawayyat is serving a 16-year prison sentence in an Israeli jail.

During her arrest, back in 2015, the 24-year-old Palestinian had suffered a
serious chest injury, which led to a major artery being ruptured and
several operations. Five months ago, she suffered bruises during a
crackdown by Israeli prison guards.

Then came the news on 23 September that an Israeli nurse working in Damon
Prison, where Dawayyat is being held, had tested positive for coronavirus.

The young woman from the village of Sur Baher, just outside occupied East
Jerusalem, along with three other female Palestinian prisoners - Ansam
Shawahna, Amani al-Hashim and Layan Kayed - who had been in contact with
the nurse, were put into quarantine.

'I have not been able to sleep or eat for five days. All I think about is
Shorouq and her health'

*- Samira Dawayyat*

“I have not been able to sleep or eat for five days," said Dawayyat’s
mother Samira, 50,who had heard the news about her daughter on a local
radio station and then via social media, told Middle East Eye.

"All I think about is Shorouq and her health, and there is no way to obtain
any information about her to ensure that she is well, safe and sound.

Dawayya's mother says she is afraid that her daughter could become infected
from jail staff who come in and out of the prison.

“I have visited Shorouq twice since the spread of Covid-19, and the last
visit was in July. Ever since, there has been no communication at all.”

According to a statement issued by the Ramallah-based Palestinian
Prisoners’ Club on 27 September, 31 prisoners in Israel’s jails had been
infected with the coronavirus, including two detainees whose infection was
only discovered a day after their release.
Using pandemic to create fear

Now there are concerns that the Israeli authorities are using the pandemic
as a tool of suppression against, and to create fear among, Palestinian
prisoners.

Amani Sarahneh, media coordinator at the Palestinian Prisoners' Club, a
Ramallah-based NGO, told MEE that the prisons had failed to provide even
the minimum preventive measures at the beginning of the epidemic’s spread,
such as masks and sanitisers.

These had only been provided later after Palestinian and international
organisations had put huge pressure on the prison authorities, he said.

He also said that the prison had only provided sanitising materials to the
wards housing prisoners suspected of having had contact with infected
prisoners.

The prison administration had also reportedly reduced the amount of fruit,
vegetables and sanitiser available in the canteen.

<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-israel-supreme-court-palestinians-prisoners-no-rights-social-distancing>

Coronavirus: Israeli court rules Palestinian prisoners have no right to
social distancing

The fears of Dawayyat’s mother are only too familiar to the family of
Muhammad Basim Zaid.

The 31-year-old father of two was arrested on 10 September at a checkpoint
near the city of Qalqilya in the occupied West Bank and transferred to
Ashkelon Prison.

Five days after his arrest, his family was informed that he had been
infected with the coronavirus.

Zaid was being denied access to his lawyer and prevented from contacting
his family, according to his family. His family also said that the prison
authorities were continuing their investigation of Zaid, despite his
illness.

“We do not have any information about Muhammad, we do not know anything
about the reason for his arrest and we do not know anything about his
health condition,” his wife, Wissam Zaid, told MEE.

“He had two court hearings and his detention was extended pending
investigation.”

The family is convinced that Zaid had been infected after his arrest. The
last time he had been tested was on 28 August, when the results were
negative and he was not showing any symptoms of coronavirus.

“We live in a state of extreme fear and anxiety for Muhammad. We only ask
for information about his health,” Wissam Zaid told MEE.
Arrests continue

Despite the spread of the pandemic in the occupied territories since March,
the Israeli army has continued its arrest of Palestinians, transferring
them to detention and investigation centres that lack basic facilities to
protect against coronavirus infection.

Sarahneh said that the Etzion and Hawara interrogation centres were among
the worst, in which the Israeli army practised serious violations against
prisoners.

'The prison administration deliberately misleads us regarding the spread of
the pandemic inside prisons'

*- Amani Sarahneh, Palestinian Prisoners' Club*

“These two centres are not suitable for human life, but the prison
administration uses them as quarantine places for a period of 14 days and
places large numbers of new prisoners in the same rooms before they
transfer them to other prisons,” Sarahneh said.

He also said that most of the infected prisoners found in the Ofer prison
on the West Bank had previously been at interrogation centres, especially
Etzion, Hawara, al-Maskobiya, and Ashkelon.

But getting a clear picture on the true state of coronvirus infections
inside Israel’s prisons is difficult.

The authorities keep information related to the incidence of Covid-19
inside prisons confidential, as well as the results of any testing.

As a consequence, Palestinians are suspicious of any figures that are
released.

According to testimony from one group of detainees, the prison authorities
transferred a group of prisoners to quarantine but documented only one or
two infections in the records they released.

Sarahneh also claimed that, according to Palestinian prisoners, the Israeli
interrogators were using the threat of exposure to Covid-19 infected
prisoners as a tool to pressure detainees during interrogations.

“The prison administration deliberately misleads us regarding the spread of
the pandemic inside prisons,” Sarahneh told MEE.

Israel's spokesperson for prison services had not responded to requests for
comment regarding the allegations at the time of publication.
'Deprived of family visits'

The pandemic had also given Israeli authorities an opportunity to inflict
further punishment on Palestinian prisoners and increasingly curtail their
rights, according to Sarahneh.

“The prevention of visitation has had a major effect on the prisoners, as
they are deprived of family visits and the money transferred to them to buy
what they need from the prison’s canteen,” he said.

“Prisoners have also been placed in double isolation due to the suspension
of visits and the complete cut off of communication.”

<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/coronavirus-palestine-prisoners-israel-jail-test-positive-covid-19>

In April, a group of UN human rights experts had called on Israel
<https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=25822&LangID=E>
"not
to discriminate against" thousands of Palestinian prisoners facing
high-risk exposure to coronavirus, asking the country to release the most
vulnerable among them.

There were more than 4,520 Palestinian prisoners, including 183 children,
43 women and 700 detainees with pre-existing medical conditions in Israeli
jails, the UN experts added.

In its statement, the UN said Israel had released hundreds of Israeli
prisoners due to the pandemic, but refused to release any of its
Palestinian inmates.

"This indicates discriminatory treatment towards Palestinians prisoners
- which would be a violation of international law," the UN group said.

Today, with the coronavirus pandemic still pervasive, families of
Palestinians held in Israeli prisons can only pray for their loved ones’
safety.

“Male and female prisoners live in a state of fear for their families
outside prison,” said Dawayyat's mother Samira. “And today we live in a
state of fear for our children in prisons.”