[Pnews] Black History: 'Lest we forget' by Safiya Bukhari

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Wed Feb 26 10:23:10 EST 2020

https://www.liberationnews.org/black-history-lest-we-forget-by-safiya-bukhari/

  Black History: 'Lest we forget' by Safiya Bukhari

February 25, 2020

/In honor of Black History Month we republish here a commemorative
article by revolutionary leader Safiya Bukhari, first published in 1981
in //pamphlet/
<http://freedomarchives.org/Documents/Finder/DOC513_scans/Safiya_Bukhari/513.Safiya.lest.we.forget.pdf>/form.
Bukhari was a member of the Black Panther Party and the Black Liberation
Army. She was a political prisoner from 1975 until 1983 minus two months
when she escaped to seek medical treatment denied to her by prison
authorities. /

/Among other roles she served as vice-president of the Republic of New
Afrika, co-founder and co-chairperson of the New York Free Mumia
Coalition and the National Jericho Movement for U.S. Political Prisoners
and Prisoners of War. Dubbed a “Lioness for Liberation” by Mumia Abu
Jamal and a “legendary figure” by Angela Davis, Bukhari’s
autobiographical “The War Before: The True Life Story of Becoming a
Black Panther, Keeping the Faith in Prison & Fighting for Those Left
Behind” remains //essential reading/
<https://www.feministpress.org/books-n-z/the-war-before>/. /

*Black Seeds Introduction*

Constantly people of color are confronted with the reality that death is
our ever-present companion. We’ve had to live with the the conditions
that make us more prone to high blood-pressure, diabetes, high infant
mortality, strokes, heart attacks, etc., for so long that we see these
things as part of our heritage. It has become commonplace to hear that
someone known to us or related to us was killed in an argument,
gambling, or trying to take someone off. Even more commonplace is our
spending our lives in the living death of prison.

We’re not shocked or surprised by this. In fact we’ve become complacent
with this as the status quo. We’ve begun to plod along, waiting for our
number to come up. On a very real level we are the walking dead: people
without a future and with an extremely chaotic past. We have been
aimlessly wandering through life, purposeless, directionless–slaves to
other peoples whims, ideas, and desires.

Through history, voices rose out of and above the quagmire and declared
themselves men and women. HUman beings with souls, who wanted to know
how it felt to be free and live outside the shadow of death. Cinque, Nat
Turner, Gabriel Prosser, Harriet Tubman, Denmark Vesey–men and women who
lived and died to the tune of “Oh freedom, Oh freedom, Oh freedom in my
heart. Before I’d be a slave I’ll be buried in my grave and go home to
my Lord and be free.”

There is no equivocation when we recall those heroes. Why? Because it’s
safe to remember them. They are far removed from our day and time, so we
can glory in their battles and victories vicariously with no threat to us.

While we are busy recanting the glory of our long dead heroes, new
heroes are going forth into battled to carry our struggle for dignity,
freedom, independence, and humanity one step closer to reality in the
spirit of Claude McKay’s “If We Must Die”:

    If we must die, let it not be like hogs

    Hunted and penned in an inglorious spot

    While round us bark the mad and hungry dogs,

    Making their mock at our accursed lot.

    If we must die, O let us nobly die,

    So that our precious blood may not be shed

    In vain; then even the monsters we defy

    Shall be constrained to honor us through dead!

    O kinsmen! We must meet the common foe!

    Though far outnumbered let us show us brave,

    And for their thousand blows deal one deathblow!

    What though before us lies the open grave?

    Like men we’ll face the murderous, cowardly pack,

    Pressed to the wall dying, but fighting back!

The past thirty years have seen some doors crack for Blacks and other
people of color in America. These changes didn’t occur in a vacuum. They
were political moves in an attempt to undermine the rising tide of Black
unrest and our demands for civil and human rights. No concrete changes
in the very real condition of Black people occured. We’re still at the
bottom of the totem pole.

With the advent of the twentieth century the Black man in American began
to take a decided shift away from quiet acquiescence to our plight. We
had begun, in massive numbers, to say, “No More.” Our leaders–Marcus
Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Martin Luther King Jr., and Malcolm
X–articulated the determination of our people to wait no longer for the
realization of people of African descent as human beings in the eyes of
mankind.

The twentieth century became the time to take a stand. Four hundred
years of racist oppression and economic exploitation were enough. Not
one more century. Not one more generation without a collective,
organized resistance. “Either.or” became the battle cry. America was put
on notice: the choice is the ballot or the bullet!

Realizing that no concessions would be gained without a fight, brothers
and sisters determined to lay down their very lives, if it became
necessary, to achieve our freedom. The following is a chronicle of those
unsung heroes who have given the only thing that was theirs to
give–/their lives/!

A People’s War of Liberation is like the points of a starfish. When a
soldier (guerilla) dies, another grows and takes his or her place in the
struggle, or in the body of the army.

Here are some of those fallen:

*Arthur Morris. *Member of the Southern California chapter, Los Angeles
Branch, of the Black Panther Party. Arthur was the first member of the
Black Panther Party to die in the struggle for Black liberation.
ASSASSINATED March 1968.

*Bobby James Hutton. *Affectionately known as Lil’ Bobby Hutton, born
April 25, 1950. He was the first person to join the Black Panther Party.
He joined when he was sixteen when the Party was founded in 1966. He
served as finance coordinator. He was one of the Panthers arrested on
May 2, 1967, at the Sacramento legislature protest where Bobby Seale
read the Party’s position on self-defense for oppressed people
(Executive Mandate No.1). Bobby was murdered two days after the
assassination of Martin Luther King Jr., by dozens of Oakland police. He
was unarmed, but with utmost courage, sacrificed his life so others
might live. ASSASSINATED April 6, 1968.

*Steve Bartholomew, *twenty-one; *Robert Lawrence, *twenty-two; and
*Tommy Lewis*, eighteen. They were riding in a car when they noticed
they were being followed by a Los Angeles police squad car. They stopped
at a gas station so that any incident could be witnessed. The squad car
stopped also. As Steve was getting out of the car a volley of police
gunfire killed him instantly. The Panthers returned fire and Robert was
killed. Tommy died later at a Los Angeles Central Receiving Hospital
from peritonitis (severe intestinal inflammation) caused by stomach
wounds and loss of blood. ASSASSINATED August 25, 1968.

*Nathaniel Clark. *Member of the Los Angeles Branch of the Black Panther
Party and a student at the University of California, Los Angeles. Killed
as he slept. ASSASSINATED September 12, 1968.

*Welton Armstead. *Member of the Seattle, Washington Branch of the Black
Panther Party and a student at the University of California, Los
Angeles. Killed as he slept. ASSASSINATED October 15, 1968.

*Sidney Miller. *Twenty-two days after the Seattle police murdered
Welton Armstead, a white Seattle businessman murdered Sidney Miller,
twenty-one years old. He was shot point blank in the head as he was
leaving a west Seattle grocery store. The owner said he “thought” Sidney
was about to rob the store. ASSASSINATED November 7, 1968.

*Frank Diggs. *Los Angeles chapter, Black Panther Party, forty years
old. Frank was shot to death and left in an alley on the outskirts of
Los Angeles by unknown assailants. ASSASSINATED December 30, 1968.

*Alprentice “Bunchy” Carter. *Came from the streets of LA, where he was
“the Mayor of the Ghetto.” He became the organizer and driving force for
the Southern California chapter of the Black Panther Party, the first
chapter of the Party outside of the Bay area. Before coming to the Party
Bunchy had been a member of the Slausons, one of the largest gangs in
LA. The sum total of his life experiences imbued Bunchy with a
revolutionary fervor and commitment, which he expressed as follows:

    Black Mother, I must confess that I still breathe

    Though you are not yet free….

    For a slave of natural death who dies

    Can’t balance out two dead flies.

    I’d rather live without the shame

    A bullet lodges within my brain

    If I were not to reach my goal

    Let bleeding cancer torment my soul.

Bunchy was shot from behind and killed on the steps of UCLA while
organizing and educating Black students around self-determination and
student control of the Black student unions in preparation for community
control. Though the fingers that pulled the trigger on Bunchy were
members of Ron Karenga’s US organization, in the final analysis,
Bunchy’s death is the responsibility of the racist American government.
ASSASSINATED January 17, 1969.

*John Jerome Huggins. *Born in New Haven, Connecticut. John and his wife
Ericka, became members of the Southern California chapter of the Black
Panther Party soon after it’s doors opened. Together with Bunchy Carter,
John, as deputy minister of information, provided the leadership needed
as that chapter grew. The assassination of Bunchy and John, on the steps
of UCLA, by members of the US organization was part of the COINTELPRO
strategy to foment a war between the Black Panther Party and the US
organization so they would kill each other off. Bunchy and John
ASSASSINATED January 17, 1969.

*Alex Rackley. *Member of the New York chapter, Harlem Branch, of the
Black Panther Party. Alex was killed by George Sams, a police agent who
infiltrated the Party. He was shot through the head and heart in New
Haven, Connecticut. The New Haven Police Department also had an informer
on the scene at the Sams-engineered-and-ordered execution, but no effort
was made to prevent it. ASSASSINATED May 21, 1969.

*John Savage. *In the aftermath of the assassinations of unchy and John,
relationships between the Black Panther Party (BPP) and US grew
increasingly tense. On Friday, May 23, 1969, John Savage and another
Party member, Jeffrey Jennings, were walking toward the Party office in
San Diego, California, when they met a US member named “Tambozi.” As
they walked past, Tambozi grabbed John Savage by the shoulder, jammed a
.38 automatic to the back of his neck and pulled the trigger. John, age
twenty-four, died instantly. ASSASSINATED May 23,1969.

*Sylvester Bell. *Less than three months after the assassination of John
Savage, US struck again. Sylvester Bell became the fourth member of the
Black Panther Party murdered in cold blood by Karenga’s men. Sylvestres
murder came at a time when the AL trial of US members for the
assassination of Bunchy and John had just begun–an attempt to intimidate
witnesses at the trial. Sylvester was thirty-four years old.
ASSASSINATED August 15, 1969.

*Larry Roberson. *On the morning of July 14, 1969, Larry Roberson,
twenty years old, and Grady “Slim” Moore, members of the Chicago Branch
of the Black Panther Party, noticed police harassing a group of elderly
Black men, forcing them to line up aga wall, and they went to
investigate. An argument ensued and without hesitation the police pulled
their guns and started shooting. Larry was critically wounded in his
stomach, thigh, and leg. (Grady Moore escaped uninjured.)

Larry managed to wound two of his assailants. He was taken to Cook
County Hospital and placed under police guard. He was harassed,
threatened, and periodically beatend. He died in the hospital. Because
Larry placed himself between the oppressor and his people without
thought for his own life, Fred Hampton said, “Larry Roberson was too
revolutionary proletarian intoxicated to be astronomically intimidated.”
ASSASSINATED September 4, 1969.

*Walter “Toure” Pope. *As soon as he was released by the California
Youth Authority from Tracy, California, Walter joined the Black Panther
Party. Toure, twenty years old, was singled out for constant harassment
y the Los Angeles Police department because of his effectiveness as
distribution manager of the Black Panther Community News Service in
Southern California. In three months he increased the circulation from
fifteen hundred a week to over seven thousand a week. Walter was
brutally gunned down in broad daylight as he left a store where he had
just dropped off some newspapers. According to eyewitness reports, the
police suddenly came upon him and opened fire. Toure never had a chance.
ASSASSINATED October 18, 1969.

*Spurgeon Winters. *“Jake” was an honor student in school and a
revolutionist. He worked on the Chicago chapters Breakfast Program and
the free health clinic and was part of the education cadre. He was
killed when one hundred policemen opened fire on him and Lance Bell, who
was wounded. Three policemen were killed and seven wounded in the attack
on the deserted building where the two took refuge. Jake was nineteen.
ASSASSINATED November 13, 1969.

*Mark Clark. *Mark was a defense captain for the Peoria, Illinois,
Branch of the BPP. He made frequent trips to Chicago to confer with the
leadership of the Party’s chapter there in order to help him organize in
downstate Peoria. Mark made one such trip in December of 1969 and stayed
at Fred Hampton’s apartment. Chicago police raided Fred’s apartment on
the morning of December 4, Mark was murdered by the raiders as they
crashed through the apartment door. He was shot through the heart.
Several other occupants were wounded by indiscriminate police gunfire.
Mark Clark was twenty-two. ASSASSINATED December 4, 1969.

*Fred Hampton. *The name Fred Hampton has secured a permanent place in
the annals of the people’s struggle, because, sadly enough, this was one
of the hundreds of thousands of Black deaths American chose to
publicize. A young outspoken critic of America’s treatment of Black and
poor people, Fred’s dedication to the cause of freedom led him and
others to organize in CHicago. The organizational and speaking abilities
of Fred Hampton won for him national attention. Political persecution of
Fred Hampton included numerous false arrests. He was convicted of a
seventy dollar ice cream truck robbery in 1969, but community pressure
forced his release. Such persecution culminated on December 4, 1969 at
four o’clock in the morning, when a raiding party of Chicago police
invaded Fred’s apartment and shot him several times as he slept. He was
twenty-one years old. The Black community lost a beautiful warrior for
human dignity, but Fred often said, “You can kill a revolutionary but
you can’t kill the revolution.” ASSASSINATED December 4, 1969.

*Sterling Jones*. Fred Hampton and Mark Clark were only days in their
graves when the Chicago Police Department struck again. On Christmas
Day, Sterling Jones, seventeen, a member of the Illinois chapter,
respond to a knock at his family’s apartment door. As Sterling opened
the door, he was shot directly in the face by an unknown assailant. The
bullet killed him and his assailant fled into the night. ASSASSINATED
December 25, 1969.

*Jonathan Jackson*. On August 7, 1970, a young Black man entered the
Marin County Courthouse in California. The events that followed came to
be called the August 7 Movement. Jonathan had walked into the courthouse
where San Quentin prison inmate James McClain was defending himself
against charges of assaulting a prison guard. Also present were two
inmates serving as witnesses on behalf of McClain. They were William
Christmas and Ruchell Magee. Jonathan interrupted the court proceedings,
stating, “We are revolutionary justice,” then gave weapons to McClain,
Christmas, and Magee. They all left the courtroom. Several jurors, the
prosecutor, and the judge were also taken. Within minutes the van that
jOnathan and party had gotten into was riddled with bullets from the
guns of San Quentin guards and other state gents, who disregarded the
lives of not onl Jonathan Jackson and the three inmates, but also those
of the jurors, judge, and prosecutor. When the shooting ended, Jonathan
Jackson lay dead, as did William Christmas, James Mcclain and the Marin
County judge. George Jackson summed up his brothers heroic actions in
this way: “Man-child, Black man-child with a machine gun in hand, he was
free for awhile. I guess that’s more than most of us can expect.”

*Carl Hampton*. Brother Carl was chairman (coordinator) of the People’s
Party II, a revolutionary organization in Houston, Texas. Carl was the
motivating force of the small organization, which followed the example
and the policies of the BPP. At the time the Party was not oranizing in
the South, so Carl, seeing the need for a party that would serve the
people’s needs and desires, started the People’s Party, which sold the
BPP newspaper. Culminating a series of incidents on July 28, 1970,
Houston police surrounded the Dowling Street area where the People’s
Party II office as located and attacked the entire community. Carl was
killed at two a.m. in defense of the community.

*Fred Bennett*. Pieces of the body of Fred Bennett were found in April
1971, in a mountainous region near Oakland, California. Fred had been
the coordinator of the East Oakland branch of the BPP and had been a
Party member for three years, having joined in early 1968. Fred’s body
was mutilated when the police claimed they “found” jim. They held onto
Fred’s body without announcement for more than two months. ASSASSINATED
February 1971.

*Ralph Featherstone *and*Che Payne. *Killed by a car bomb outside a
Maryland courthouse where Rap brown was scheduled for a hearing.
ASSASSINATED March 9, 1970.

*Babatunde X Omarwali*. A member of the Illinois chapter of the BPP,
Babatunde was a sining example of our many revolutionary brothers who
have turned from being used as Black cannon fodder by the US military to
become dedicated soldiers in service to the oppressed community as Black
liberation fighters. Babatunde joined the Party in Chicago after serving
two years in the US army, and he quickly became one of the Party’s best
organizers. In the summer of 1970, he had just returned to Chicago from
the Cairo-Carbondale area, after organizing a National Committee to
Combat Fascism (NCCF) office there. On July 27, twenty-six-year-old
Babatunde’s remains were “found” lying across railroad tracks in a
deserted area of the city by Chicago police. They claimed that Babatunde
had been attempting to destroy the tracks and that the bomb went off
prematurely killing him. Although mutilated beyond recognition, the body
of “Black Panther Babatunde X Omarwali” was positively identified by the
Chicago police. They could do so because it was the police themselves
who murdered him and laced his body on the railroad tracks. ASSASSINATED
July 27, 1970.

*Robert Webb*. Deputy minister of defense of the BPP. Spent years
organizing coast to coast, building the discipline and security of the
Party and community in preparation for liberation. When it became
apparent that there were corrupt forces operating within the BPP, Robert
took a stand for principles first. That stand was to bring about his
death on March 8, 1971.

*Sam Napier*. Circulation manager, BPP. Lived and breathed the Black
Panther newspaper. He would constantly intone, “Circulated to educate to
liberate.” Sam was another casualty of the internal split of the BPP.
Fanon talked of the contradictions in /Wretched of the Earth /when he
referred to colonial war and mental disorders. Oftentimes we lose sight
of who our real enemies are and give ben to our emotional responses. In
the deaths of Robert Webb and Sam Napier, the people’s liberation
struggle lost two of it’s staunchest supporters. Psychologically,
COINTELPRO scored a bull’s eye. Sam died April 17, 1971.

*George Jackson*. George Jackson spent the last eleven years of his life
behind prison walls, seven of them in solitary confinement. During his
imprisonment, George attained an extraordinary level of revolutionary
political consciousness. He was appointed field marshal of the Black
Panther Party. He was an eloquent writer. He authored two important
books: Soledad Brother and Blood in My Eye. The latter was completed
shortly before his assassination. On August 21, 1971, nameless guards of
California’s San Quentin prison assassinated George Jackson. They said
he was trying to escape, but the brothers inside said that George gave
his lie to save the lives of others. The people of the oppressed
communities of the world know that the San Quentin prison officials
carried out a premeditated plan to silence a voice that was so full of
revolutionary humanism they could no longer bear it.

*Harold Russell*. The first Black Liberation Army member to be slain.
The BLA–the people’s liberation army–boldly declared themselves to be
soldiers fighting against the oppressive regime of the US government.
Harold was killed in a shootout on 122nd Street between Seventh and
Eighth Avenues in Harlem, New York. Prior to becoming a member of the
BLA, Harold had been a member of the Brooklyn Branch of the BPP. SLAIN
IN COMBAT spring 1971.

*Sandra Pratt*. Wife of Geronimo. Known as Red to her comrades and
friends. The death of Sandra was especially heartfelt because of its
senselessness, beastality, and brutality. The sister was pregnant with
new lifeblood for the people’s struggle. The reactionary forces that
slew the sister mutilated her and placed her body in a mattress cover
and dumped her in an intersection in Los Angeles. ASSASSINATED fall 1971.

*Frank Fields*. Known to his comrades as Heavy, a member of the Olugbala
tribe of the BLA. Open war had been declared between the US government
and the BLA. Frank was killed i one of the FBI’s search-and-destroy
missions in Florida. SLAIN IN COMBAT December 31, 1971.

*Ronald Carter*. The response of the government to the BLA was to close
ranks and consolidate their fores. For the first time they realized that
every act of aggression they launched upon the Black community would be
met with an act of revolutionary justice. He FBI launched a nationwide
manhunt for BLA soldiers and ordered them killed on sight. Ronald was
killed in one of these confrontations in St. Louis, Missouri. SLAIN IN
COMBAT February 15, 1972.

*Joseph Waddell*. Joseph Waddell, or “Joe-Dell,” joined the BPP in
September 1970 while in the city jail in High Point, North Carolina.
Before going to jail, he had functioned as a community worker. Joe-Dell
was transferred to Central prison in Raleigh, North Carolina, and
because of his revolutionary posture, he was frequently beaten by prison
guards. On June 13, 1972, twenty-one-year-old Joseph Waddell was
pronounced dead by prison officials. They said the cause of death was a
heart attack. Joe-Dell was physically healthy before his death and had
never suffered from heart troubles before. Prison inmates close to
Joe-Dell said he was the victim of the prison authorities, who had
probably drugged or poisoned him to induce the attack. Joe-Dell’
internal organs were removed by prison authorities before they released
his body to his family.

*Anthony White*. Known affectionately and in struggle as Kimu Olugbala.
Kimu had been captured and seriously injured in the process, but his
spirit had not been broken. While incarcerated at the infamous Tombs
(the Manhattan House of Detention for Men) in New york he escaped to
rejoin his comrades in struggle. On Monday, January 22, 1973, Kimu was
killed in a shootout with New York police, choosing death over slavery.
SLAIN IN COMBAT January 22, 1973.

*Woodie Greene*. Known in the struggle as Changa Olugbala. All we need
to know about Brother Woodie is that he was a warrior in the people’s
army. He was a young man who’d once been bound and gagged and caged in
the white man’s zoos (jails), and had vowed never to return. He was
slain in the same shootout that same the death of Kimu. SLAIN IN COMBATE
January 22, 1973.

*Mark Essex*. Mark became involved in the struggle for Black liberation
while still within the US military apparatus. He served as a dental
technician in the navy. Upon his release his first stop was at the
Harlem office of the BPP. he wanted to learn as much as possible to take
home with him to Emporia. Kansas. Mark died valiantly holding off enemy
forces in Louisiana. SLAIN IN COMBAT spring 1973.

*Zayd Malik Shakur*. Known as Dedane Olugbala, Zayd was the minister of
information of the New York Black Panther Party. He spent months and
years educating the people to what must be done to secure our freedom
and liberation. On May 2, Zayd died the way he lived–in combat,
resisting the forces of oppression. He was skilled in a shootout on the
New Jersey Turnpike, in which Assata Shakur and Sundiata Acoli were
captured. Zayd was a soldier in the people’s liberation army. SLAIN IN
COMBAT May 2, 1973.

*Twymon Myers*. “The elusive Twymon Myers” is what he came to be known
as–to the oppressors. To the people he was friend, comrade, and
defender. Twymon was no superstar; he just did what had to be done and
faded into the night. He cared about everyone, especially the children.
He believed that the only way to achieve freedom was to be willing to
fight and die for it. If it wasn’t worth fighting for, it wasn’t worth
having and you didn’t really want it. On November 14, 1973, a combined
force of New York police and FBI agents surrounded Twymon on a Bronx
street and opened fire. Eight bullets riddled his body. As he lay dead a
police officer stood over him and shot him again in the head. The police
rallied in front of the Forty-fourth precinct in celebration. Twymon
Myers was a warrior we can all be proud of. SLAIN IN COMBAT November 14,
1973.

*Alfred Butler*. Known in struggle as Kombozi Amistad. Became a member
of the BPP in his youth and functioned out of the New Rochelle, New
York, office. Kombozi later transferred to the West Coast from whence he
went underground to carry the struggle to the next level–the armed
struggle–as a member of the BLA. It was in his capacity as a soldier in
this formation that he was SLAIN IN COMBAT in Norfolk, Virginia, January
25, 1975.

*Timothy Adams*. Known to his comrades in arms, friends, and family as
Red. Red was critically wounded in a battle with the enemy after
attempting to liberate fellow comrades from the infamous Tombs in 1973.
For many years he was confined to a wheelchair as a result of these
wounds, but his spirit was undaunted. Even though his death came years
after the battle, it was directly related. His life, his struggle to
overcome, and his death, were a source of inspiration to us all.

*Melvin Kearney*. Known in struggle as Rema Olugbala, he was a member of
the BLA. Rema was killed in a courageous attempt to escape from the
Brooklyn House of Detention, when the rope he was climbing down broke.
He was twenty-two years old. Even against the overwhelming odds posed by
prison officials, Rema never lost his combative spirit. DIED IN COMBAT
May 25, 1976.

    *To Martyr Rema Olugbala, BLA*

    I make love at a fraction of an inch

    Outside my window bars

    I make love with freedom

    And she invites me to be with her

    And she’s right outside my window bars

    My love is great

    I cherish her

    And she’s right outside my window bars

    I dance with death

    But y mind is set..

    FREEDOM!

    We’re going to get it on a fraction of an inch

    Outside my window bars

    I love you, freedom

    I dance with death.

*John Clark*. Andaliwa was a thirty-year-old Back revolutionary who gave
his life in an attempt to escape to freedom. He died in a shootout
between prisoners and guards inside Trenton state prison in New Jersey.
In that shootout, three guards were injured. John carried on the
struggle behind the walls. SLAIN IN COMBAT January 19, 1976.

*Mtayari Shabaka Sundiata (Samuel Smith)*. Became a citizen of record in
the Republic of New Afrika in 1968. Mtayari worked among the youth in
the Ocean Hill-Brownsville section of Brooklyn. In 1970 he was
incarcerated as the result of a shootout with the police. Upon his
release, he joined the ranks of the bA. It was in this capacity as a
people’s warrior that he was SLAIN IN COMBAT October 23, 1981.

To those of us who have dedicated our lives to the liberation of Black
people, who have dared to say, “We shall have our freedom or the Earth
will be leveled by our attempts to gain it,” death is a common
occurrence. It is something we had to accept, for we knew that in waging
struggle to free ourselves from the chains of slavery our choices were
small–either to be jailed, or assassinated–but we had nothing to lose
and everything to gain.

We know that where there is struggle there’s sacrifice. The death of our
comrades was a sacrifice, for our struggle some deaths are lighter than
a feather and others are as weight as a mountain. Everyone one of these
deaths is weighty as mountains, for these comrades not only practiced
the principles of revolutionary warfare, they taught others to do the
same. In their lives and in their deaths they said:

    I may–if you wish–lose my livelihood

    I may sell my shirt and bed,

    I may work as a stone cutter,

    A street sweeper, a porter.

    I may clean your stores

    Or rummage your garbage for food.

    I may lay down hungry

    O enemy of the sun,

    But

    I shall not compromise

    Anf to the last pulse in my veins

    I shall resist.

    You may take the last strip of my land,

    Feed my youth to prison cells.

    You may plunder my heritage

    You may burn my books, my poems,

    Or feed my flesh to the dogs.

    You may spread a web of terror

    On the roofs of my village,

    O enemy of the sun,

    But

    I shall not compromise

    And to the last pulse in my veins

    I shall resist.

    You may put out the light in my eyes.

    You may deprive me of my mother’s kisses.

    You may curse my father, my people.

    You may distort my history,

    Ou may deorive my children of a smile

    And of life’s necessities.

    You may fool my friends with a borrowed face.

    You may build walls of hatred around me.

    You may glue my eyes to humiliations,

    O enemy of the sun.

    But

    I shall not compromise

    And to the last pulse in my veins

    I shall resist.

    O enemy of the sun

    The decorations are raised at the port

    The ejaculations fill the air,

    A glow in the hearts,

    And in the horizon

    A sail is seen

    Challenging the wind

    And the depths

    It is Field Marshal Dedan Kamathi (Mau Mau)

    Returning home

     From the sea of loss.

    It is the return of the sun,

    Of my exiled ones,