[Pnews] Mistrial Is Another Blow To US Coup In Venezuela; Our Work Continues

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Feb 17 11:29:23 EST 2020

https://popularresistance.org/another-blow-to-us-intervention-venezuela/

  Mistrial Is Another Blow To US Coup In Venezuela; Our Work Continues

By Kevin Zeese and Margaret Flowers, Popular Resistance - February 16, 2020

Last week, we along with Adrienne Pine and David Paul were
unsuccessfully prosecuted by the Trump administration for our protection
of the Venezuelan embassy in Washington, DC from April 10 to May 16,
2019.  The jury was unable to reach a unanimous decision and so we
remain innocent of the charge of interfering with the protective
functions of the US Department of State. The judge declared a mistrial
<https://popularresistance.org/mistrial-in-trump-biased-prosecution-against-venezuelan-embassy-protectors-is-win-for-sovereignty/>.
It was a partial victory and we greatly appreciate the jurors who were
able to see through the cloud of misinformation in the courtroom and
vote to acquit us.

The day our trial started, Juan Guaido returned to Venezuela where he
was harassed and physically assaulted by protesters. He is unable to
muster support at home even from the opposition. Guaido’s presidential
charade is fading but the United States has not given up on its regime
change campaign in Venezuela. New sanctions are being imposed and there
have been recent attacks of sabotage within the country that resemble
ones backed by the US in other countries to cause disruption and
discord. As Citizens of Empire, we must continue to oppose US
intervention in other countries.

    *Note: The Trump prosecutors will announce on February 28 whether
    they will prosecute us again. The Embassy Protection Defense
    Committee, our lawyers and the four of us are preparing for a second
    prosecution
    <https://defendembassyprotectors.org/trial-of-the-four-embassy-protectors-ends-with-a-deadlocked-jury/>.
    Please check DefendEmbassyProtectors.org
    <http://defendembassyprotectors.org/> for updates and what you can
    do to help prepare our defense.*

<https://popularresistance-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/02/final-four-outside-of-court-final-day-of-ist-trial-2-14-20-e1581877897993.jpg>

Embassy protectors [left to right: David Paul, Margaret Flowers,
Adrienne Pine, Kevin Zeese] outside of court on February 13, 2020, by
Martha Allen.

*Confusion In The Courtroom Where Lies Were Told And The Truth Could Not
Be Heard*

After the trial, half the jury stayed behind to answer questions from
the lawyers and the judge. What stood out in their answers was
confusion. The information they heard in court was incomplete, which
made it difficult to understand what happened. A major source of
confusion was that the testimony in the trial was limited to three days
from May 13 when a trespass notice was delivered to May 16 when the
arrests occurred. The jurors were not allowed to be told about the full
37 days we were in the embassy when at times more than 70 people stayed
there. They asked — why were you there for those three days? Why did you
go there in May when the new president, Juan Guaido, came to power in
January? The prosecutor’s successful manipulation of Judge Howell to
limit the testimony to those three days created juror confusion as the
story did not make sense.

Of course, Juan Guaido never came to power. He has not been president
for even a nanosecond. When this so-called ‘president’ returned to
Venezuela
<https://popularresistance.org/guaido-is-back-in-venezuela-now-what/>,
after a US-sponsored tour of Europe, the customs officer took his
passpor <https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1227368952038293504>t
<https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1227368952038293504> and
explained he had violated the law by leaving the country. No real
president could have a customs officer take his passport.

Guaido was not welcomed
<https://twitter.com/MV_Eng/status/1228375725633425409> when he
walkedthrough the airport
<https://twitter.com/dcgisenyi/status/1227355017222463490> and out into
the streets. He was surrounded by protesters calling him a traitor
<https://sputniknews.com/latam/202002121078291506-videos-guaid-confronted-by-protesters-chanting-murderer-upon-return-to-venezuela/>
and an assassin
<https://twitter.com/madeleintlSUR/status/1227350906955583492> and
chasing him away from the airport
<https://twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1227628583717347328>.  They
were angry in part because during his trip Guaido called for more
sanctions, which have shortened the lives of over 40,000 Venezuelans
<https://cepr.net/images/stories/reports/venezuela-sanctions-2019-04.pdf>,
and in the past, he even called for a US military attack on his country.
It is obvious he is hated by the people of Venezuela as even the
opposition did not support his re-appointment as president of the
National Assembly
<https://popularresistance.org/in-venezuela-reactionary-guaido-humiliated-by-assembly-defeat/>.
Not only is he not the president, but he also is not even the leader of
the political opposition to President Maduro.

In the courtroom, due to an anomaly of US law, the jury was told that
Juan Guaido was the president. While many have criticized Judge Beryl
Howell for that ruling, in reality, she was reflecting US law, which
says the president determines whom the US recognizes as the leader of a
foreign government. This is a political question that the courts cannot
overturn. Judge Howell sought to keep politics out of the courtroom, but
it was not possible. Taking judicial notice that Guaido is ‘president’
when in the real world he is not made this a political case based on
falsehoods.

The judge explained that “elections have consequences” as they grant
this and other powers to the president. Judge Howell’s comment was
ironic for Venezuelans because they also have elections as they did in
May of 2018 where PresidentMaduro won 67 percent
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/analysis/The-Case-for-Legitimacy-of-Maduros-Second-Presidential-Term-20190108-0026.html>
in a five-candidate field. That election had more than 300 international
election observers who concluded it met all the requirements for
democratic elections under international law
<https://popularresistance.org/declaration-of-the-embassy-protection-collective/>.
Kevin Zeese was in Venezuela for it and reported it was a well-run
election far superior to many US elections
<https://popularresistance.org/on-the-technical-aspects-of-voting-venezuela-does-it-right/>
– especially the Iowa Caucus!

In part because of the limits placed on what we could say in court, none
of the embassy protectors testified. The judge’s pre-trial ruling meant
we could not tell the whole truth
<https://defendembassyprotectors.org/embassy-protectors-gagged-they-will-not-be-able-to-tell-jury-guaido-is-not-president-or-mention-international-law/>
and made it difficult to testify without being held in contempt of
court, a situation that Alan Macleod described as “Kafkaesque
<https://popularresistance.org/mistrial-declared-in-kafkaesque-d-c-trial-of-venezuela-embassy-protectors/>.”
Our lawyers, Michael Satin, John Zwerling, Bill Welch, and Heather
Shaner, built our defense on their excellent cross-examination of the
three government witnesses.  After the government presented its case,
the defense rested without calling any witnesses.

While we hope the prosecutors will not prosecute us again becausewe are
innocent <https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/14782> of the charges
against us, we are preparing for a second prosecution.
<https://defendembassyprotectors.org/trial-of-the-four-embassy-protectors-ends-with-a-deadlocked-jury/> It
was a victory to have a hung jury in such a manipulated environment but
we are not yet free. We hope the Trump administration sees that
prosecuting us again will be viewed by the world as further proof of US
injustice. Another prosecution raises the stakes for the US as an
acquittal or second failed prosecution will be further evidence of the
failed coup. As we have always hoped, our goal is for the US and
Venezuela to develop positive relations that are based on mutual respect
for sovereignty and international law.

<https://popularresistance-uploads.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/02/embassy-protection-collective-two-placards-outside-the-embassy-e1581878268942.png>

Two placards placed outside the Venezuelan embassy by the Embassy
Protectors Collective. From Popular Resistance.

*Venezuela Continues to Resist US Regime Change*

The US charade claiming Guaido is the president and the judge refusing
to challenge that fiction has dangerous and deadly consequences. The
United States violated international laws when it invaded the Venezuelan
Embassy in Washington, DC and handed it over to the leaders of a failed
coup. The US signaled to other countries that centuries of practices
that uphold the inviolability of embassies no longer matter. It also
signaled that elections don’t matter. The US believes it can decide who
is the leader of another country and hand over the assets of that
country to whomever it chooses.

The Venezuelan National Assembly is currently investigating
<https://popularresistance.org/venezuelan-assembly-to-investigate-us-funding-to-guaido/>
Juan Guaido, particularly his backing by the United States and the theft
of Venezuela’s assets. Guaido has already been restricted from traveling
out of Venezuela for taking money from foreign countries, a restriction
he has defied multiple times. Guaido also violated the Venezuelan
Constitution by claiming to be the president, a power that only exists
when the elected president and vice president are unable to serve. In
the case where the president of the national assembly is required to
step in as president, there must be an election for a new president
within thirty days.

Guaido is being accused of receiving financial support from Alejandro
Betancourt, who is being prosecuted in the United States for laundering
billions of dollars. Betancourt is the cousin of Leopoldo Lopez, the
head of the right-wing Popular Will Party. Lopez was convicted of
inciting violence and escaped last year to seek asylum in the Spanish
Embassy. It was recently discovered
<https://popularresistance.org/giuliani-told-u-s-his-client-deserves-leniency-for-financing-venezuelas-opposition/>
that Rudy Giuliani met with Guaido’s father and others in Spain and then
met with the US Department of Justice to request leniency for Betancourt.

Guaido is also implicated in a case being brought by Venezuela
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Juan-Guaido-Stars-Venezuelas-Biggest-Corruption-Case-Ever-20200215-0005.html>
against the United States for “the theft of [Venezuela’s] foreign assets
and bank deposits… The looting equals up to US$116 billion.”​​​​​​​
Venezuela recently filed a case
<https://popularresistance.org/venezuela-accuses-us-of-crimes-against-humanity-at-the-international-criminal-court/>
in the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity. The day
may come when the United States is held accountable and is no longer
allowed to act with impunity.

A major goal of the action to protect the Venezuelan Embassy in
Washington, DC was to raise awareness that the US was escalating its
lawless actions. Interference in the elections of another country,
threats of military invasion and the imposition of coercive economic
measures (aka sanctions) are violations of the United Nations Charter.
Failing to protect embassies violates the Vienna Convention. The Embassy
Protection Collective
<https://www.facebook.com/ColectivosporlaPaz/?modal=admin_todo_tour>,
composed of hundreds of activists for peace and justice, did prevent the
embassy in Washington, DC from being given to the coup-supporters. It is
empty today.

The action in the embassy was also an act of solidarity with the people
of Venezuela struggling for self-determination and a new society that
puts people’s needs and protection of the planet above corporate
profits. We have so much to learn from Venezuela about democracy, ending
poverty and creating a world for everyone.

As Citizens of Empire, our work is not over. We must continue to oppose
sanctions and US intervention in other countries. The San Francisco
Labor Council recently passed a resolution
<https://popularresistance.org/san-francisco-labor-council-resolves-abolish-u-s-imposed-economic-sanctions/>
opposing sanctions. You can do the same in your community. Urge your
local groups, city or county council or other institutions to do the
same. And listed below are a few more ways to get involved in the
struggle for peace.

          *Register Now For The United National Antiwar Conference,
          “Rise Against Militarism, Racism And The Climate Crisis
          <https://popularresistance.org/event/rise-against-militarism-racism-and-the-climate-crisis/>”
          In New York City From February 21 To 23.*

          *Take Action: Join The International Days Of Action Against
          Sanctions And Economic War <https://sanctionskill.org/>, March
          13 – 15, 2020*

          Upcoming: The World Peace Council And The Coalition Against
          U.S. Foreign Military Bases, International Conference,
          “/Confronting Imperialism’s War Machine — The Global Struggle
          For Peace, Social Justice, National Sovereignty And The
          Environment/,” On March 28-29, 2020, In Larnaca, Cyprus.
          Register Here
          <https://antiimperialistconferencecyprus.org/conference-registration/?epl_action=process_cart_action&cart_action=add&event_id=2650&_rand=5e1fbcf3e4d20>.