[Pnews] The Omaha Two inspired activist artists Ben Jones and Emory Douglas to create iconographic images of Nebraska’s political prisoners

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Feb 13 12:01:41 EST 2020

https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2020/02/13/the-omaha-two-inspired-activist-artists-ben-jones-and-emory-douglas-to-create-iconographic-images-of-nebraskas-political-prisoners/

  The Omaha Two inspired activist artists Ben Jones and Emory Douglas to
  create iconographic images of Nebraska’s political prisoners

Michael Richardson - February 13, 2020
Screenshot (253)Ben Jones painted Edward Poindexter and Emory Douglas
portrayed Wopashitwe Mondo Eyen we Langa, two Black Panther leaders
sentenced to life in prison. (credits: Ben Jones/Emory Douglas)

Ben Jones, a Chicago artist, has recently completed a portrait of Edward
Poindexter
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2020/01/06/fbi-director-j-edgar-hoover-approved-frame-up-in-1970-police-murder-case-during-cointelpro-secret-war-on-the-black-panther-party/>,
an inmate of the Nebraska State Penitentiary. Emory Douglas, former
Black Panther Minister of Culture, created a poster of Wopashitwe Mondo
Eyen we Langa
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/05/20/book-tour-visit-to-mondos-book-collection-in-prison-stirs-memories/>
(former David Rice) in 2016 for Mondo’s memorial service. Mondo, who
died in March 2016 serving a life without parole sentence, and
Poindexter were leaders of Omaha’s Black Panthers in 1970 when they were
arrested for a policeman’s murder.

The two men were targets of a clandestine, and illegal, operation of the
Federal Bureau of Investigation code-named COINTELPRO
<https://thereader.com/news/the-fbi-and-omahas-black-panthers>. The men
were framed for the August 17, 1970 murder of Patrolman Larry Minard
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2019/08/17/policemans-murder-on-august-17-1970-triggered-clandestine-cointelpro-operation-against-the-omaha-two/>,
killed in an ambush bombing. J. Edgar Hoover, the infamous FBI director
personally oversaw the manipulation of the murder investigation and
ordered the FBI Laboratory to withhold a report on the identity of an
anonymous 911 caller who lured Minard to his death. The pair were
convicted in April 1971 after a controversial trial marred by
conflicting police testimony, perjured testimony, withheld evidence, and
planted evidence.

Jones says his upbringing in the Midwest led to his activism for the two
prisoners. “When I was eighteen, I was incarcerated for three weeks in
Lincoln, Nebraska. I do not recall the charges beyond the crime of being
young and black in America, but I vividly remember how it felt.”

“Staring out the window, I knew that two blocks down the road was the
Nebraska State Penitentiary….I knew that Mondo we Langa and Ed
Poindexter were incarcerated for a crime they did not commit. I thought
about how I had driven by them without any conception of what they were
going through….They were persecuted by COINTELPRO for trying to help
people.”

Screenshot (257)Edward Poindexter and David Rice (Wopashitewe Mondo Eyen
we Langa) were Black Panther leaders in Omaha and frequently harassed by
police.  (credits: Omaha Police Department)

“Thinking about the victims of COINTELPRO, one begins to wonder whether
the Panthers underestimated the degree of sadism with which the state
would seek to obliterate the Black Power movement.”

“The sickening idea that the Panthers were punished for trying to help
black people never left me. After I got out, I tried to get we Langa and
Poindexter out. I organized fundraisers and benefit shows. I painted an
eighty by five foot banner that read “FREE MONDO & ED” and was sprawled
out at the state capitol.”

Free-Mondo-Ed-banner-Nebraska-State-Capitol-steps-031312-by-Mary-Ellen-KennedyArtist
Ben Jones took his message of freedom for the Omaha Two to the Nebraska
State Capitol steps.  (credit: Mary Kennedy)

“Much of the reach of their story comes by way of we Langa’s writings
and art….One of his collages became the frontispiece of his 2008 book
/The Black Panther is an African Cat: Poems of Exploration and Testimony.”/

Emery Douglas was cartoonist for the /Black Panther/ newspaper and over
the years has become recognized as the leading artist of the Black Power
movement. Although Douglas and Mondo never met the pair were comrades in
struggle and after Mondo died in prison Douglas made a painting for
Mondo’s memorial service. Douglas put red stripes over Mondo’s face to
symbolize both prison bars and the American flag.

Ed Poindexter remains confined at the Nebraska State Penitentiary,
approaching his fiftieth year of imprisonment. Both Nebraska Governor
Pete Ricketts and Douglas County Attorney Don Kleine refuse requests to
reopen the investigation
<https://www.omaha.com/news/metro/author-asks-don-kleine-gov-ricketts-to-reopen-probe-of/article_59ca1b74-de3d-5396-a6cf-3a21c5b92f88.html>
into Minard’s murder despite documented evidence that J. Edgar Hoover
tampered with the investigation and trial. Meanwhile, from his tiny cell
in Lincoln at the maximum-security prison, Ed Poindexter continues to
proclaim his innocence.

/For further information on the Omaha Two see/ FRAMED: J. Edgar Hoover,
COINTELPRO & the Omaha Two story
<https://richardsonreports.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/new-book-on-fbis-war-against-the-black-panthers-gets-five-star-review/>,/in
print edition at /Amazon
<https://www.amazon.com/FRAMED-Edgar-Hoover-COINTELPRO-Omaha/dp/1985021994/ref=sr_1_43?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1530637788&sr=1-43&keywords=framed>/and
in /ebook
<https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=FRAMED%3A+J.+Edgar+Hoover%2C+COINTELPRO+%26+the+Omaha+Two+story>/.
Portions of the book may be read free online at /NorthOmahaHistory.com
<https://northomahahistory.com/2017/07/07/framed-series-summary-by-michael-richardson/>.
/The book is also available to patrons of the Omaha Public Library./