[Pnews] NY - Saturday’s 21st Annual Freedom Fighter Dinner Tribute

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Mar 2 15:57:59 EST 2017

http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/mar/02/saturdays-21st-annual-freedom-fighter-dinner-tribu/

  Saturday’s 21st Annual Freedom Fighter Dinner Tribute

            *Nayaba Arinde*
            <http://amsterdamnews.com/staff/nayaba-arinde/> | 3/2/2017

Some grassroots activists had hoped that by January this year former
President Barack Obama would have addressed, if not released, some of
the nation’s decades-long serving political prisoners on his way out of
the White House. Perhaps the likes of Mumia Abu Jamal, or the Move 9, or
Veronza Bowers, or Seth Hayes, or Jalil Muntaqim.

Alas, it was not to be, except for a joyous Oscar Rivera, who was
released after spending 35 years and eight months in U.S. prisons.

Still, the fight continues for dedicated advocates and supporters of men
and women imprisoned, some say, largely because of their Black Panther,
Black liberation and Black self-determining efforts in the 1960s and
1970s. In that regard, The Malcolm X Commemoration Committee is
organizing the 21st Annual Freedom Fighter Dinner Tribute in Harlem
Saturday, March 4, 2017.

“When we say ‘Black Resistance Matters: No Surrender, No Retreat,’ it’s
because neither our captured freedom fighters, their families or the
Movement lawyers and doctors we will be honoring have done so,” dequi
kioni sadiki (sic) told the Amsterdam News.

The chair of the MXCC added, “This year we honor a number of unsung
legal warriors who have always been there in court, representing our
freedom fighters to the fullest: Jill Soffiyah Elijah, Joan Gibbs,
Florence Morgan, Bob Boyle, Michael Tarif Warren, Nkechi Taifa, Susan
Tipograph, Lynne Stewart and Eve Rosahn.”

Panther-Zulu King Sadiki “Bro. Shep” Ojore Olugbala noted, “In Panther
language, these lawyers are ‘people’s’ lawyers, or lawyers who have
committed themselves to serving our struggle for our liberation and to
social justice out of their own love for the people.

“These cases are not the kind of cases that bring lawyers celebrity
status, wealth or fame to their profiles and in fact, it is just the
opposite. They face and subject themselves to professional hostility
just as our people face institutional hostility for daring to challenge
unjust manner of this order and their prosecution and persecution of our
freedom fighters. It can have its own set of dire consequences for them
and we need to appreciate them for that as an oppressed community.”

MXCC Press Officer Zayid Muhammad stated, “This year’s dinner tribute
not only comes on the heels of the loss of two political prisoners,
Abdullah Majid and Mondo Wa Langa, needlessly dying in custody while
still trying to clear their names, but it also comes on the heels of
outgoing President Barack Obama deciding not to grant clemency to
federal political prisoners Veronza Bowers and Dr. Mutulu Shakur and
deciding not to posthumously clear Marcus Garvey, our first political
prisoner.”

“Over 150 years has collectively been served by these brave men thanks
to COINTELPRO, and look at how this ended,” said dequi kioni sadiki.
“Facing circumstances like these are almost impossible without committed
lawyers like those who we will honor.”

Organizers have decried the fact that most recently Obama and a variety
of governors have denied petitions of the likes of long-held political
prisoners such as Shakur, Leonard Peltier, Jalil Al Amin and Jamal, who
is in poor health.

This dinner (now co-sponsored by the National Alumni Association of the
Black Panther Party), was established 21 years ago by Iyaluua Ferguson,
wife of late co-founder and chairman emeritus, Herman Ferguson. This
year the event will be held at the Adam Clayton Powell State Office
Building (163 W. 125th St. at Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard, Third
Floor). Dinner will be served at 4 p.m., and the libation at 5 p.m.
Organizers say that all proceeds go to the commissary accounts of the
political prisoners represented at the dinner.

The cultural presenters to perform at this year’s tribute will include
Harlem’s own elder musician statesman of the spoken word Bro. Ngoma and
Universal Zulu Nation DJ and revolutionary conscious hip-hop artist
“Spirit Child & The New Black Arts Movement.”

Tickets for this event are $40 in advance and $45 at the door.

For more information, call 718-512-5008 or email mxcc519 at verizon.net.