[Pnews] Lynne Stewart in dire health - Send her love and support!

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 6 10:15:26 EST 2017

3/4/2017

Ralph Poynter told me the following very sad news tonight, and has
authorized me to distribute it publicly:

Our beloved People's Champion Lynne Stewart suffered a major stroke last
Wednesday, the latest complication from the cancer that has now spread
throughout her body and invaded her brain. She is resting comfortably at
home and is not in pain, but can only speak sporadically. Her doctor has
said she does not have much time left.

Ralph and Sister Betty Davis are of course taking good care of her, as
are her doctor-daughter Zenobia Brown and long-term friend of 63 years
Virginia Gernes. *Ralph welcomes your phone calls (at 917-853-9759) and
emails (at **ralph.poynter at gmail.com **).* Because of the high expense
of Lynne's care, Betty will soon be launching an online fundraising
campaign. Stay tuned.

I learned all this minutes after Ralph accepted an award for Lynne at a
major public event by the Malcolm X Commemoration Committee, which
honored a large group of lawyers and doctors who have supported U.S.
political prisoners. As we know, for years Lynne went out of her way to
provide strong representation to a pantheon of dedicated radical
activists facing prison -- before she herself suffered a similar, cruel
fate.

Let's all send Lynne, Ralph & Betty our hugs, love, and best wishes for
this final journey. Such a heroic fighter - Lynne, we love you!

Bob Lederer

*Sister Betty Davis has posted the donation web page to help with
Lynne's personal needs. Please donate generously:**
****https://www.generosity.com/emergencies-fundraising/financial-appeal-for-lynne-stewart-health-crisis
<http://jerichony.us12.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=0aca83ec057f583557dec5ce0&id=a07d22fbd5&e=e9f3d86b9a>*
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/24/nyregion/lynne-stewart-lawyer-for-omar-abdel-rahman.html?emc=eta1&_r=1

  Lynne F. Stewart, Lawyer for ‘Blind Sheikh’ Omar Abdel Rahman, Has No
  Regrets

Benjamin Weiser - FEB. 24, 2017

Ms. Stewart sought an early release from prison while serving a 10-year
sentence
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/nyregion/lynne-stewarts-10-year-prison-sentence-is-upheld.html>
for smuggling messages from the imprisoned Mr. Abdel Rahman, known as
the blind sheikh, to his followers in Egypt.

She had been found to have breast cancer, and in 2012, doctors at the
Federal Medical Center, Carswell, in Fort Worth, said that the cancer
had spread to her lungs, lymph system and bones, according to court
papers filed by her lawyer.