[Pnews] Mohammed al-Hamiri, a Yemeni citizen held at Guantánamo Bay, has been released - had been in Guantánamo since 2002

Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Thu Apr 21 11:22:08 EDT 2016

*https://theintercept.com/2016/04/18/trapped-guantanamo-letters-mohammed-al-hamiri/*

  Prisoner’s Letters Document Tragedy and Hope Inside Guantánamo

Murtaza Hussain✉murtaza.hussain@​theintercept.comt at mazmhussain

_On April 16_, the Department of Defense issued a short press release
announcing that Mohammed al-Hamiri, a Yemeni citizen held at Guantánamo
Bay, had been transferred for release. Hamiri had been incarcerated at
Guantánamo since 2002, when he was detained by American forces. First
taken into custody at the age of 19, Hamiri spent more than a third of
his life at the prison. During that time, he was never charged with any
crime.

Writing was one of Hamiri’s greatest comforts during the 13 long years
he spent at Guantánamo. Hamiri’s letters and other personal writings
were cleared for release earlier this year through the work of lawyers
at the Center for Constitutional Rights. The letters reflect an enduring
sense of hope, love for family and friends, and a remarkably poetic
imagination.

Hamiri’s release this week represents the start of a new chapter in his
life, one he has spent years waiting for with both hope and trepidation.
His writings from Guantánamo offer a glimpse into what the prospect of
freedom meant to him during his long imprisonment. “I do not know why I
am writing these words, and I do not know if my letters and my words are
going to be read by eyes that know the meaning of justice,” he
reflected recently, writing that prison had given him “no voice other
than this pen with which to write a painful memory from the pages of my
life.”

_Last April, al-Hamiri_ sat on the bed of his prison cell in Guantánamo
Bay and indulged in one of the few liberties available to him. He opened
his notebook to write. “I keep looking at the sun and hoping that,
maybe, it will reveal a secret that would wipe away my tears,” Hamiri
put down. “But I discover that it is pointing to the horizon, to tell me
that it wants to leave and not be here to witness what destiny had in
store for me. So I’m left alone with nothing but the moon and the
moonlight shining on me, as everyone and everything else on earth has
gone to sleep.”

Arriving in Guantánamo while he was still a teenager, Hamiri spent the
majority of his young adulthood imprisoned there. Despite being cleared
for release in 2009, he remained behind bars six years longer, thanks to
political wrangling over the fate of Guantánamo detainees, as well as
civil strife in his native Yemen.

In a letter written several months ago, Hamiri reflected on the
possibility of the public one day reading his words.

    I want you to understand my reality. As far as I’m concerned the
    government has closed its door on our cases. Unfortunately, a
    tragedy happened on September 11, and many innocent people were
    killed. Every year on that same date people relive the suffering
    repeatedly; yet it is also saddening that other innocent people are
    dying or put in jail without having committed any crime. It doesn’t
    make sense for someone who gets stung by a thorn in his leg to start
    hitting everybody around him to relieve that pain, for he could be
    hurting innocent people.

In 2009, a multi-agency government review board unanimously cleared
Hamiri for release from prison. Despite this ruling, the government
failed to promptly transfer him out of custody. After the promise of the
review board decision dimmed over the years, it gave rise to increasing
melancholy. In an undated passage in his notebook, Hamiri wrote:

    The government cleared me for release in 2009. It handed me the
    “cleared for release” document. In 2011, I pulled out that clearance
    document and I was looking at it when something very funny happened.
    I was reading that document which was lying on the floor and I
    dropped the cup of coffee I was holding my hand. The coffee spilled
    over the document. I did not wipe the coffee, and do you know where
    it spilled? It spilled on the line that says: “The United States is
    planning to transfer you as soon as possible.” It felt like my
    destiny was telling me that it was a deception./
    /

Hamiri spent much of his youth behind bars. Like many other Guantánamo
detainees captured at a young age, one of his greatest worries in
prison was losing touch with trends in the outside world. In a letter to
his lawyers in April of last year, he requested DVDs, including
films dealing with “drama, family, youth problems, students in college,
things like that.”

Hamiri asked for a documentary about Bob Marley, several popular
contemporary films, and the book /Humanism and Democratic Criticism/ by
the late Palestinian-American author Edward Said. In his notes he wrote:

    One night while I was immersed in my thoughts I saw that segment of
    a television program and it felt like a message was being sent to me
    from heaven. I am aware that many people don’t believe in these
    things, for they are too busy and enamored with money, whereas in
    this prison every whisper I hear and every breeze I feel mean a lot
    to me. Everything in this life is beautiful and everyone, with a
    positive outlook towards life, can make his life beautiful and make
    everyone around him joyful.

Along with his writing, the other great source of comfort for Hamiri
during his incarceration was his friendship with a fellow Guantánamo
prisoner, Adnan Farhan Abdul Latif. Latif was incarcerated at the same
time as Hamiri and of roughly the same age. Like Hamiri, Latif was also
a Yemeni. While behind bars at the the camp, the two young men
became, as much as possible in such conditions, inseparable. Their
similar backgrounds and histories created a bond that helped sustain
them through circumstances that offered little hope.

But in 2012, after spending more than 10 years behind bars in
Guantánamo, Latif was found dead in his cell. A subsequent investigation
deemed the cause of death to be suicide, although questions about the
circumstances of his passing have lingered
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/opinion/death-of-a-prisoner.html>.
Latif was a writer like Hamiri. In the months leading up to his death,
his own notes documented him grappling with what seemed to be an
unremittingly bleak fate. In one of his last letters to his
lawyer, Latif wrote
<http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/09/201291872137626701.html>,
“I will do whatever I am able to do to rid myself of the imposed death
on me at any moment of this prison … the soul insists to end it all and
leave this life which is no longer anymore a life.”

_For a time_ after the death of his best friend, Hamiri did not pick up
a pen. “I lost my dearest and most honest friend in this detention
facility,” he would write, months after Latif’s passing. “He left this
world after long suffering, and I got a taste of his suffering too.”/
/

In 2013, Hamiri took part in a mass hunger strike
<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/06/opinion/hunger-strike-at-guantanamo-bay.html>
by detainees at the prison. The strike was in protest against harsh
treatment by prison guards under the command of a new officer, Col. John
Bogdan, as well as what prisoners perceived as growing government
indifference to their predicament. Within months, the number of striking
detainees rose to roughly 130 out of a total of 166 prisoners then at
the camp. Many of these prisoners were subjected to painful
force-feeding procedures. Among them was Hamiri. In the midst of
the strike, in June 2013, directly after a particularly painful
force-feeding session, he sat down in his cell to write the following note.

    We see animals killing their prey swiftly to avoid suffering and
    torture, yet we see human beings depriving other humans from their
    mothers, fathers and families just for the sake of making them feel
    the bitterness of deprivation and the pain of loss. Mercy is present
    in the ferocious animals’ instinct, yet harshness is present in
    human injustice.

In late 2014, the rate of transfer of Guantánamo detainees began to
increase. In the last two months of the year, 21 detainees were either
repatriated or transferred to third countries. Among these were a few
Yemenis, who were sent to new homes
<http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/31/us-usa-guantanamo-kazakhstan-idUSKBN0K905W20141231>
in Kazakhstan, Georgia, and Slovakia. Despite being cleared for release,
Hamiri was not among those transferred out. While once the release of
prisoners was a cause for celebration at the camp, Hamiri told his
lawyers in a meeting in late December 2014, “Now when we see brothers
released, its a little bit hard. Everybody thinks, when is my time?”
Increasingly despondent, Hamiri wrote then in his notes:

    Guantánamo prison has undergone multiple renovations. The worn walls
    needed repair and the steel structure which has become rusty over
    time needed to be renovated. Even inanimate materials have weakened
    over time. If time has caused inanimate walls to tear and their
    colors to fade, what do you expect it did to a human being?

In 2008, the International Committee of the Red Cross won the right for
some prisoners to make periodic phone calls to family members at home.
In 2009, this was expanded to allow Skype videoconference calls. Hamiri
was among the beneficiaries of these new measures, and was able to call
home and see images of his family for the first time in years. He
continued to be allowed this privilege for the rest of his time at
Guantánamo. But paradoxically, this fleeting contact with his family fed
a growing anxiety, as he realized the distance that time apart had
created between them. His family had not seen him in person since he was
a teenager. Through their calls, Hamiri found to his dismay that they
could no longer interact as they once did. As he wrote in a letter from
2014:

    This prison has made me forget my mother’s smile. She looks at me
    now as if I was never part of that family. I have been away for such
    a long time that now when I talk to her, she uses a formal tone, for
    aging has changed my appearance. She is timid and she talks to me as
    if I were a stranger. The only thing that I notice during the calls
    are her few tear drops which she cannot control when she sees me. I
    try to bring some humor to the conversation and remove that
    noticeable sadness from my mother and family’s faces, yet what I get
    in return is a look of pity which makes me even more miserable.

Indeed, the single most persistent theme running through Hamiri’s
letters is his yearning to be reunited with his family, especially his
mother. At the beginning of 2015, facing yet another year of
incarceration without hope of release, he wrote a letter to her saying
the following:

    Dear mother, I wish I could write to you with my blood on the walls
    of history so that these walls could tell the story of my love and
    loyalty to you, and light a candle for you in history. And even
    then, I could not even come close to paying you back for all those
    nights when you stayed up so I could sleep, when you went hungry so
    I could eat. You cried and hoped to see me free one of these days,
    and each day as the sun goes down and disappears into the horizon to
    mark the end of a day, I remember that you are getting weaker and I
    start to worry.

    Mother, without you, I’m like a small boat lost in the middle of the
    ocean waves in a scary dark night. If I could take away all your
    sorrows and put them in my heart, I would not hesitate to do so and
    keep them forever, and you would always see my smile. But I know
    that you would not accept any such thing, because sacrifice is your
    trade, love is your name and compassion is your nature. We will see
    each other again one day, God willing. I will carve the day in which
    we meet again in all my being, God willing, and kiss your head to
    tell the entire world that you are the breath of air that I found to
    become alive again.

In recent months, the rate of transfers from Guantánamo increased
dramatically. Nearing the end of his term, President Obama is now
attempting to keep his promise of shuttering the island prison. For
those like Hamiri who were never charged with a crime and were cleared
for release years ago, the futility and cruelty of their treatment has
stung. “I have spent thirteen years of my life in a prison cell, though
I have not done anything to cause sorrow to any human being,” he wrote
recently. “I was cleared to be released six years ago, but I am still
under the rubbles breathing, after this earthquake that shook the world.”

_After years of longing_ to be free, this week Mohammed al-Hamiri was
released from Guantánamo Bay. On April 16, he was transferred to his
release in Saudi Arabia. For many former Guantánamo prisoners, adjusting
to life outside the prison has been difficult, even impossible. Sent to
unfamiliar countries far from their homes, separated from friends and
family, many have been unable to find normalcy or happiness after their
ordeals. In some of his last notes cleared for release this year, Hamiri
reflected on his hopes for freedom after life in Guantánamo:

    There are always means to happiness. Nothing is impossible in life,
    as long as you live and breathe. Thirteen years I’ve sat here. I’ve
    never lost hope that one day I will be free. … One day, our day for
    release will come. We’ll wear a suit. I’ll wear a black suit and
    I’ll shave. On the second day, God willing, I would wear that new
    suit, nice shoes, and just walk around the streets, meet the people.
    That’s if it’s a new country, to see the world, to see the people.

In its statement announcing Hamiri’s release, along with the release of
seven other Guantánamo detainees, the Department of Defense reduced
these men and their lives to a few perfunctory lines on a page. The
hopes, fears, and personal stories of these men were elided; they were
treated as simply names and numbers. But the reality of their lives
is far more complex than the official narrative of Guantánamo Bay
suggests. Hamiri’s own writings from prison provide a glimpse into how a
young man’s humanity endured in one the bleakest prisons of the war on
terror.