[Ppnews] Report on the Extrajudicial Killings of 110 Black People

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 9 15:31:06 EDT 2012

Report on the Extrajudicial Killings of 110 Black People

http://mxgm.org/report-on-the-extrajudicial-killings-of-110-black-people/
on Jul 9, 2012

Report on Black People Executed without Trial by
Police, Security Guards and Self-Appointed Law
Enforcers January 1 – June 30, 2012.

This report was produced for the “No More Trayvon
Martins Campaign”, demanding a National Plan of
Action for Racial Justice. This is the 2nd Major report of the Campaign.

<http://mxgm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/MXGM-Report-on-Black-People-Executed-without-Trial-by-Police.pdf>Download
this report as a PDF using this
<http://mxgm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/MXGM-Report-on-Black-People-Executed-without-Trial-by-Police.pdf>link.

A human rights crisis confronts Black people in
the United States. Since January 1, 2012, police
and a much smaller number of security guards and
self-appointed vigilantes have murdered at least
110 Black women and men. These killings are
definitely not accidental or random acts of
violence or the work of rogue cops. As we noted
in our April 6th, 2012 “Trayvon Martin is All of
US!” Report (see
<http://mxgm.org/trayvon-martin-is-all-of-us/>http://mxgm.org/trayvon-martin-is-all-of-us/),
the use of deadly force against Black people is
standard practice in the United States, and woven
into to the very fabric of the society.

The corporate media have given very little
attention to these extrajudicial killings. We
call them “extrajudicial” because they happen
without trial or any due process, against all
international law and human rights conventions.
Those few mainstream media outlets that mention
the epidemic of killings have been are unwilling
to acknowledge that the killings are systemic –
meaning they are embedded in institutional racism
and national oppression. On the contrary, nearly
all of the mainstream media join in a chorus that
sings the praises of the police and read from the
same script that denounces the alleged “thuggery”
of the deceased. Sadly, too many people believe
the police version of events and the media’s
“blame-the-victim” narratives that justify and
support these extrajudicial killings.

However, we have studied each of the reports of
these deaths ­ including false, implausible and
inconsistent claims by police and witness reports
that contradict police reports. From this study
and many peoples’ experience, we must reject the
corporate media’s rationalization for the
horrible fact that in the first six months of
this year, one Black person every 40 hours was
executed. This wanton disregard for Black life
resulted in the killing of 13 year-old children,
fathers taking care of their kids, women driving
the wrong cars, as well as people with mental health and drug problems.

This report documents how people of African
descent remain “without sanctuary” throughout the
United States. Nowhere is a Black woman or man
safe from racial profiling, invasive policing,
constant surveillance, and overriding suspicion.
All Black people – regardless of education,
class, occupation, behavior or dress – are
subject to the whims of the police whose
institutionalized racist policies and procedures
require them to arbitrarily stop, frisk, arrest,
brutalize and even execute Black people.

Invasive policing is only one aspect of the U.S.
states comprehensive containment strategies to
exploit Black people and to smother resistance.
To contain the upsurge of the Black liberation
movement of the 1960’s and 70’s and protect the
system of white supremacy the institutional
forces of racism have worked through governments
at every level to destabilize the Black community
via community divestment, massive employment
discrimination, outsourcing, gentrification and
other forms of economic dislocation. In addition,
schools, housing, healthcare, other social
services and transportation in Black communities
have been denied equitable provision and
distribution of public goods and resources.

The U.S. state maintains and reinforces these
economic injustices with the militarized
occupation of Black communities by the police and
a web of racist legislation like the “war on
drugs”, discriminatory polices like “three
strikes” and “mandatory minimum” sentencing. The
result is a social system that mandates the
prison warehousing of millions of Black people
and extrajudicial killings where the killers act
with impunity and more often than not are
rewarded and promoted for murder. The oppression
and police occupation of Black communities
parallels the brutalization, denial of human
rights and killings being committed by the
Israeli occupying forces in Palestine, and the
persecution of Afrodescendants in Columbia and
the Indigenous peoples of Brazil over the past
several years. Nothing short of the structural
integrity and survival of the Black community is
at stake when we consider the historic record.

For those who doubted the framing of the “Trayvon
Martin is All of Us!” Report, this 6th month
update proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the
institutionalized violence of white supremacy is
not only alive and well, but is, in fact,
intensifying. To complete the picture, we must
take into account the extrajudicial killings and
other repressive policies directed at other
targeted peoples and communities such as
Indigenous peoples, Latinos, Arabs, Muslims, and
immigrants. These, in conjunction with the
oppression of Black people, demonstrate that the
U.S. government remains committed to maintaining
the system of white supremacy created by the
aggressive and illegal European settler-colonies
that first established the national-state project.

This crisis can only be stopped through decisive
action. First, the Black community must organize
its own self-defense. Second, we must build a
broad, mass movement capable of forcing the
government to enact transformative legislation
based on our demands. The fundamental
transformative demand must be for a National Plan
of Action for Racial Justice to eliminate
institutional racism and advance the struggle for
self-determination. The Black community itself
will determine the specific contents of The Plan,
drawing from the foundation of CERD (the
Convention to Eliminate all forms of Racial
Discrimination) and the DDPA (Durban Declaration and Programme of Action).

We call on everyone who believes that decisive
action must be taken by Black and other oppressed
peoples to confront and defeat national
oppression and white supremacy to join us in
developing an independent, mass movement for
human rights that builds power in our communities
and will have the capacity to force the Federal
authorities to implement a comprehensive National
Plan of Action for Racial Justice.  You can join
us immediately by helping us secure 1 million
signatures to our petition (see
<http://mxgm.org/trayvon-martin-is-all-of-us/>http://mxgm.org/trayvon-martin-is-all-of-us/),
organizing Copwatch and People’s Self-Defense
campaigns, fighting for elected Police Control
Boards, the demilitarization of our communities,
and the reinvestment of the military and security
budget into community reinvestment and social
programs amongst other suggestions provided in
our “Local Struggles” paper (see
<http://mxgm.org/no-more-trayvons-campaign/>http://mxgm.org/no-more-trayvons-campaign/).
We also encourage communities to organize their
own grassroots crisis intervention, domestic
violence prevention/control and mediation teams
so families in crisis do not become so desperate
for help that they compound their problems by
calling 9-1-1 and inviting the police into their homes.

We also call all organizations and individuals
who agree with the demand and framework for a
National Plan of Action for Racial Justice to
help us build the National Alliance for Racial
Justice and Human Rights (NARJHR) as a structure
that will help us develop and implement a
comprehensive national plan that centers
oppressed peoples’ right to self-determination
and the full realization of our human rights.

For more information about the Report or any of
these action proposals, contact Kali Akuno at
<mailto:kaliakuno at mxgm.org>kaliakuno at mxgm.org.

FOOTNOTES

1 The figures for the number of Palestinians
killed in 2011 can be found at
<http://www.ochaopt.org/poc.aspx?id=1010002>http://www.ochaopt.org/poc.aspx?id=1010002.
Figures for Afro-Colombians can be found at
<http://www.americasquarterly.org/node/2322/>http://www.americasquarterly.org/node/2322/,
http://www.afrocolombians.com/pdfs/PCNonFTA-April12.pdf
and
<http://news.afrocolombians.com/news/?sectionid=8>http://news.afrocolombians.com/news/?sectionid=8.
Figures on Indigenous peoples killed in Brazil
can be found at
<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/world/americas/in-brazil-violence-hits-tribes-in-scramble-for-land.html>http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/10/world/americas/in-brazil-violence-hits-tribes-in-scramble-for-land.html.

2 To read the Convention on the Elimination of
all forms of Racial Discrimination see
<http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/cerd.htm>http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/cerd.htm.
To read the Durban Declaration and Programme of
Action see
<http://www.un.org/durbanreview2009/ddpa.shtml>http://www.un.org/durbanreview2009/ddpa.shtml.