[Ppnews] Court Vindicates Prisoners in Right to Challenge CMUs

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 5 12:38:15 EDT 2011

Court Vindicates Prisoners in Right to Challenge
Federal Experimental Isolation Units Restricting Communication

Center for Constitutional Rights Wins Over
Government Motion to Dismiss Case Involving
Segregated Units That Target Muslims, Activists

CONTACT: press at ccrjustice.org

March 30, 2011, New York – Today, prisoners in
two experimental federal prison units called
“Communications Management Units” (CMUs) won the
right to have their day in court and challenge
the violation of their fundamental constitutional
rights, including the right to due process. The
units are being used overwhelmingly to hold
Muslim prisoners and prisoners with unpopular
political beliefs. The Center for Constitutional
Rights (CCR) filed the case on their behalf
exactly one year ago on March 30, 2010.

Said CCR Attorney Alexis Agathocleous, “Today,
Judge Urbina has agreed that our clients have
raised serious constitutional questions about the
CMUs, and has vindicated their right to a day in
court to pursue their claims. Our clients were
designated to the CMUs without due process or
oversight, even though they have no significant
history of disciplinary infractions. This led to
pattern of retaliatory designations to the CMUs.
In a significant victory for our clients, the
court will now scrutinize the BOP’s actions.”

Said plaintiff Hedaya Jayyousi, “I am deeply
gratified that the court will hear our claims. My
husband has been held under these conditions for
years without a proper explanation. My children
and I hope that we will now be given some answers.”

Transfers to the CMU are not explained, nor are
prisoners told how release into less restrictive
confinement may be earned as there is no
meaningful review process. The court agreed the
plaintiffs had alleged conditions in the CMUs
that were sufficiently restrictive to support
their claim that they have a “liberty interest”
in having the right to procedural due process.

The court wrote, “In light of the plaintiffs
factual allegations supporting their contention
that reviews provided by the defendants are
‘illusory’ and meaningless, the court determines
that they have adequately alleged there is a high
risk that the procedures used by the defendants
have resulted in erroneous deprivations of their liberty interests.”

Lawyers say that because these transfers are not
based on facts or discipline for infractions, a
pattern of religious and political discrimination
and retaliation for prisoners’ lawful advocacy has emerged.

The court allowed the claims of violation of due
process as well as of retaliation to go forward.
The court found that plaintiff Royal Jones made
serious allegations that cannot be dismissed that
he was put into the CMU in retaliation for
protected speech, and speaking out and filing
complaints about improper prison conditions.
Similarly, the court found that allegations that
plaintiff Daniel McGowan was twice designated to
the CMU in retaliation for social justice
advocacy and for seeking legal information from
his attorneys could not be dismissed.

The court further refused to allow the BOP to
evade review by transferring the Center for
Constitutional Rights’ clients from the CMU. The
court dismissed several of the claims raised by
the lawsuit, including claims of equal
protection, substantive due process, and freedom of association.

CCR filed Aref v. Holder in the D.C. District
Court on behalf of current and former prisoners
of the units in Terre Haute, IN and Marion, IL;
two other plaintiffs are the spouses of those
prisoners. The CMUs were secretly opened under
the Bush administration in 2006 and 2007
respectively and were designed to monitor and
control the communications of certain prisoners
and to isolate them from other prisoners and the
outside world. The five plaintiffs in Aref were
designated to the two CMUs despite having
relatively or totally clean disciplinary
histories, and none of the plaintiffs have
received any communications-related disciplinary
infractions in the last decade. Between 65 and 72
percent of CMU prisoners are Muslim men.

In addition to heavily restricted telephone and
visitation access, CMU prisoners are
categorically denied any physical contact with
family members and are forbidden from hugging,
touching or embracing their children or spouses during visits.

For information about CCR’s federal lawsuit
around CMUs, visit the
<http://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/current-cases/aref-et-al-v-holder-et-al>Aref,
et al v. Holder, et al
<http://ccrjustice.org/ourcases/current-cases/aref-et-al-v-holder-et-al>case
page or www.ccrjustice.org/cmu.

The law firm Weil Gotshal & Manges LLP and
attorney Kenneth A. Kreuscher are co-counsel in the case.

The Center for Constitutional Rights is dedicated
to advancing and protecting the rights guaranteed
by the United States Constitution and the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Founded in
1966 by attorneys who represented civil rights
movements in the South, CCR is a non-profit legal
and educational organization committed to the
creative use of law as a positive force for social change.