[Ppnews] EMAJ Statement on Secret Anti-Mumia Memo

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Jul 26 10:18:32 EDT 2010

From: "Taylor, Mark Lewis"
<<mailto:mark.taylor at ptsem.edu>mark.taylor at ptsem.edu>
===========

Friends:

Please find with this email a statement by
Educators for Mumia Abu-Jamal (EMAJ) about the
recent “secret memo” that appeared among some in
the anti-death penalty movement, urged
cultivating ties with law enforcement for an
advocacy against the death penalty, while
downplaying the need to stop Mumia’s execution.
Many anti-death penalty movements in the US have
roundly denounced this already. This statement
from EMAJ now has now been affirmed and signed by
our three coordinators, Tameka Cage, Johanna
Fernandez and Mark Taylor. It is posted on our
web site, top and center as “Site News,”
<http://emajonline.com/>http://emajonline.com,
but for convenience we also include it in the body of this email, below.

It needs stressing that with a new slick
propaganda movie by Tigre Hill, promoted by the
FOP and big funders, which comes out in
September, portraying Mumia as being just “out to
kill a cop,” we need now more than ever to
preserve our unity in the abolitionist movement.
Some good news is that at the same time that this
movie hatchet job comes out, producers and
directors supportive of Mumia are producing an
alternative film, Mumia 101, which presents a
fresh and nuanced treatment of Mumia’s case and
struggle. See the attached letter about that
newest movie, which includes a trailer of the new
film under production. Then, if you can, support
that movie with whatever donation you can
(producers need funds to finish it up on time!)
and be present on September 21 in Philadelphia to support it.

Keep organizing everyone!

Thanks, Mark Taylor, for EMAJ

EMAJ STATEMENT ON THE “SECRET MEMO” AND U.S. ABOLITIONIST MOVEMENTS

<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/53574>Reports
have leaked of a secret memo in which some US
anti-death penalty activists showed reluctance to
advocate on behalf ofPennyslvania’s death row
journalist, Mumia Abu-Jamal. The memo was
entitled, “Involvement of Mumia Abu-Jamal
Endangers the US Coalition for Abolition of the
Death Penalty,” It reveals what has been called
the “throw Mumia under the bus” tendency of the
larger effort to abolish the death penalty. We have seen this before.

Every once in awhile someone on the allegedly
liberal left tries to drive a wedge between
abolitionists of the death penalty generally, and
those struggling for Abu-Jamal. One of the more
memorable instances was in 1998 when Marc Cooper,
a Nation magazine writer, wrote in The New York
Press about how the movement for Mumia Abu-Jamal
is “a bane” on the more solid committed folk
trying to end the US death penalty.

This year’s memo is a special affront, presuming
that there is some virtue in abolitionist
movements “cultivating” relations with the
Fraternal Order of Police [FOP], which long has
been a vigorous advocate for Mumia’s execution
and which keeps
<http://www.fop.net/causes/faulkner/projamal.shtml>a
“list” of individuals and organizations that
support Mumia’s struggle. EMAJ condemns any such
planning between abolitionist movements and the
FOP. For anti-death penalty movements to
cultivate relations to a police union like the
FOP, which is unabashedly lobbying for Mumia’s
execution, is at best ineffective, at worst a
collusion with the forces that keep
state-sanctioned killing in place in this
country. Moreover, it overlooks the long history
of egregious violence and violation, which law
enforcement in the U.S. has visited upon communities of color in the U.S.

To be sure, police, prosecutors and others of the
criminal justice establishment have spoken out
for Mumia and against the death penalty.
<http://www.prisonradio.org/audio/mumia/ron_hampton.mp3>Ronald
Hampton’s advocacy for Mumia, as Executive
Director of the National Black Police Association
(NBPA), is a clear example. As an organization
<http://www.blackpolice.org/nbpapositions.html>the
NBPA protests the death penalty in all
circumstances, even when a police officer has
been murdered. These are the only kinds of voices
from members of law enforcement that a truly
anti-death penalty movement should welcome.
State-sanctioned murder of anyone is an affront
to an authentic abolitionist movement.
Abolitionist movements must resist the
temptations of big money and stand strong against
the powerful pressures by which law enforcement
officials today try to co-opt elements of the
abolitionist movement, seeking to preserve the death penalty for its purposes.

Generally, Educators for Mumia Abu-Jamal (EMAJ)
opposes any division that is created between the
Mumia movement and the broader effort to abolish
capital punishment. The struggle for Mumia is one
with the struggle of the broader abolitionist
movement. EMAJ published in 1998 an essay by Mark
Taylor, one of the signers of this statement,
under the title,
<http://emajonline.com/index.php?action=4&content_id=24>“Mumia
and the 3400: Why Stopping Mumia’s Execution
Helps End all Executions in the US.” In this new
2010 statement, EMAJ vigorously reaffirms the
unity of the movement for Mumia and of the broader abolitionist movement.
1.      Every one of the some 3200 men and women
presently on US death row, whatever we think of
their guilt or innocence, or of the nature of
their alleged crimes, warrants advocacy and our
best efforts to prevent their execution. Even
though various ones of us may need to concentrate
our advocacy in ways that highlight different
figures (say, Mumia, or Troy Davis, or Reggie
Clemons, or any of the many others), this
concentration of effort on one should not be seen
as a disparagement of any other death row
prisoner’s struggle for life and justice.
2.      Mumia’s struggle and his writings (rarely
about his own case and usually about broader
political issues) has dramatically personalized
the issue of the death penalty for especially
youth in urban communities of color, but also in
other regions of the U.S. and internationally.
His story of resistance and political struggle
has caught the imagination of many and so brought
new voices into the struggle against the death
penalty. This was dramatically evident in the
April 2010 gathering at the EMAJ event at Barnard
College (Columbia University), where a lecture
hall was packed out with more than 500 people,
mostly young people of all backgrounds, to hear
not only a “phone-in” from Mumia, but also
discussions by Cornel West, Vijay Prashad, and
film-maker Jamal Joseph about the importance of Mumia’s case and struggle.
3.      Mumia’s arrest, conviction, and continual
denial of appeals crystallizes and distills –
thus makes more readily apparent – the plagues at
work in maintaining our broken death penalty
system: racial bias in judges and juror
selection, inadequate legal counsel, lack of
funds for investigations for defendants, police
corruption and prosecutorial misconduct. Thus,
Mumia’s case can be seen as a kind of primer of
how the death penalty fails to work justice, and
on how the larger systems of U.S. mass
incarceration, policing and prosecutorial
procedures are broken, dysfunctional, and unjust.
4.      Mumia’s struggle dramatically exhibits
the agency of death row prisoners themselves in
waging their struggle. Mumia’s death row cell in
the prison system is an organizing site within
the system. However necessary our efforts are
from “the outside,” Mumia’s trenchant voice
inside death row confirms that the abolitionist
movement is not just a condescending or
paternalistic act of concern of outsiders “for,”
or “for the sake of,” those on death row.
Recognizing Mumia is one way to recognize the
agency of those in struggle on death row. His
voice, as a voice within, is crucial to our
abolitionist movement’s authenticity.
5.       Mumia’s mode of struggle enables those
in the abolitionist movement to keep the struggle
against the US death penalty as part of a larger
political struggle, in which other issues are
always at play in our struggle to end capital
punishment. We will not abolish the death
penalty, and keep it abolished, if we cannot
articulate the broader issues of power - class
domination, environmental destruction,
transnational globalization, torture at home and
abroad, militarist imperialism, and
neocolonialism – all being issues that Abu-Jamal
has addressed in relation to capital punishment and mass incarceration.
6.      Although there is a temptation in some
quarters to make of Mumia an icon, just a “cool
guy” mentioned in the Boondocks cartoon strip,
Hip Hop magazines, rock concerts, and in films of
different sorts – the lifting of Mumia’s struggle
to the level of a media spectacle can be an
advantage to the abolitionist movement. It
enables us to engage the media, not only with
Mumia’s struggle but also with broader efforts to
end the death penalty, block police brutality,
and expose the corruptions of racialized power at
every level. One of the reasons political
officials of the establishment are so keenly
opposed to Mumia is precisely because he has this
capacity to ignite media attention, nationally
and internationally. We should welcome this and use it.
7.      Finally, the Mumia movement positions
resistance to the death penalty around the U.S.
national shrine center in Philadelphia. This
places debate about capital punishment (the
state-sanctioned murder of citizens) in a city
that is the very symbolic heart of Americans’
self-understanding of their nation and its
history. The Mumia movement – those of us in it
as well as Mumia’s recordings and writings – is
not silent about the general problem of
state-sanctioned killing as part of the very
meaning of “America” and its history. The
persistence of the death penalty is, at least in
part, due to the nation’s dependence on policies
of war and killing, policies that date from the
devastation of Indian peoples and slave
populations, to the colonization of, and war
against, Asian, Arab, African and Latin American
countries, up to the often deadly and
disheartening discrimination meted out against
immigrants from these lands in our midst today.

The focus of Mumia’s struggle in Philadelphia,
then, dramatizes how central the commitment to
state-sanctioned killing is to the forging and
maintenance of this nation. It has always been
appropriate, then, that the festivals of July 4th
celebration in Philadelphia are routinely matched
by a smaller and fledgling, but vigorous,
counter-march for Mumia and as critique of every
death-dealing policy of the U.S. - whether
applied in the killing fields of indigenous
peoples lands, in the desserts of Iraq, or the
mountainous ravines of the Afghan/Pakistani border.

Let there be no more division between the
advocates of a general abolition of the death
penalty, and the advocates in the movement for
Abu-Jamal. As Educators, in Pennsylvania, across
the U.S. and the world, we reassert our firm
opposition to the death penalty in the U.S., and
thus especially to the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal.

 From the Coordinators of Educators for Mumia Abu-Jamal:

  Tameka Cage     Johanna Fernandez     Mark Lewis Taylor