[Ppnews] Support Environment Political Prisoner Marie Mason San Francisco - Thurs July 22

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Sun Jul 11 13:36:49 EDT 2010

Battles Yet To Be Won: A Benefit for Political
Prisoner Marie Mason Perspectives on Repression &
Resistance- From the 1960’s to the Present

Thursday, July 22, 2010
7:30 PM
Submission Gallery
2183 Mission Street, San Francisco

donation: $5 – $20, no one turned away

Featuring: Former Prisoners Jeff Luers and Linda
Evans, and Earth First!er Karen Pickett

Followed by tunes aplenty by KUSF DJ Carolyn Keddy

*****

Marie Mason is a long-time activist in the
environmental and labor movements. In 2008, she
was arrested on federal charges of property
destruction that occurred in 1999. She was
sentenced in 2009 to almost 22 years – the
longest term of any “Green Scare” prisoner. Marie
is currently appealing her sentence. She is
imprisoned in Waseca, MN and is the loving mother
of 2 children, from whom she has been torn away.
For more information, see
<http://www.supportmariemason.org/>http://www.supportmariemason.org

The “Green Scare” refers to the recent arrests of
animal rights and environmental activists,
charged with acts of economic sabotage. The US
government and courts have dealt the activists
outrageous sentences, publicly labeling them as
“terrorists” – despite the fact that no one has
been injured in any of their actions. For an
introduction to the Green Scare, see
<http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/green-scare/>http://www.greenisthenewred.com/blog/green-scare/.

This event will contextualize the current
repression, a continuation of the government’s
COINTELPRO agenda that historically also targeted
movements such as the Black Panthers, American
Indian Movement, Chicano rights, Puerto Rican
Independentistas, and those in solidarity with
them. Former prisoners will share their
experiences and perspectives on Marie Mason’s
case, focusing on what we can do to support her.
Our struggles for change can only succeed if we
show solidarity with our brothers and sisters who
have fallen into the hands of the state. Let’s
gather to strengthen our  resistance!

Speakers:

Linda Evans – Sentenced to 40 years in prison in
1987 for her participation in radical resistance
against U.S. imperialism, Linda Evans was
released after presidential commutation in 2001.
She has fought tirelessly for justice inside and
out of prison, currently working with Legal
Services for Prisoners with Children and All of
Us or None to demand an end to the life-long
discrimination faced by former prisoners. Linda
will discuss the history of repression and
resistance in the U.S., as well as specific issues faced by women in prison.

Jeff ‘Free’ Luers – In June 2001, 23 year-old
forest defense activist Jeff “Free” Luers was
sentenced to over 22 years for the burning of
three SUV’s in Eugene, Oregon as a statement on
global warming. After serving close to 10 years,
Jeff was released in 2009 following a successful
appeal. He will share his experiences and the
ways in which the loud voices of supporters were
instrumental in his early release.

Karen Pickett - Long-time Earth First! activist
Karen Pickett has been an inspired participant in
the environmental struggle for years. She is a
personal friend of Marie Mason and has
continuously supported her since her arrest.
Karen will discuss Marie’s case, their
relationship, and ways in which we can demonstrate our solidarity with Marie.