[Ppnews] A History of Music Torture in the War on Terror

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 15 12:43:06 EST 2008

http://www.counterpunch.org/

December 15, 2008

A History of Music Torture in the War on Terror

Hit Me Baby One More Time

By ANDY WORTHINGTON

There’s an ambiguous undercurrent to the catchy
pop smash that introduced a pig-tailed Britney
Spears to the world in 1999 -- so much so that
Jive Records changed the song’s title to “
 Baby
One More Time” after executives feared that it
would be perceived as condoning domestic violence.

It’s a safe bet, however, that neither Britney
nor songwriter Max Martin ever anticipated that
this undercurrent would be picked up on by U.S.
military personnel, when they were ordered to
keep prisoners awake by blasting ear-splittingly
loud music at them -- for days, weeks or even
months on end -- at prisons in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantánamo Bay.

The message, as released Guantánamo prisoner
Ruhal Ahmed
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EuIlAiFWQc>explained
in an interview earlier this year, was less
significant than the relentless, inescapable
noise. Describing how he experienced music
torture “on many occasions,” Ahmed said, “I can
bear being beaten up, it's not a problem. Once
you accept that you're going to go into the
interrogation room and be beaten up, it's fine.
You can prepare yourself mentally. But when
you're being psychologically tortured, you
can't.” He added, however, that “from the end of
2003 they introduced the music and it became even
worse. Before that, you could try and focus on
something else. It makes you feel like you are
going mad. You lose the plot and it’s very scary
to think that you might go crazy because of all
the music, because of the loud noise, and because
after a while you don’t hear the lyrics at all, all you hear is heavy banging.”

Despite this, the soldiers, who were largely left
to their own devices when choosing what to play,
frequently selected songs with blunt messages --
“Fuck Your God” by Deicide, for example, which is
actually an anti-Christian rant, but one whose
title would presumably cause consternation to
believers in any religion -- even though, for
prisoners not used to Western rock and rap music,
the music itself was enough to cause them serious
distress. When CIA operatives spoke to
<http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=1322866>ABC
News in November 2005, as part of a
ground-breaking report into the use of
<http://www.counterpunch.org/worthington02072008.html>waterboarding
and other torture techniques on “high-value
detainees” held in secret prisons, they reported
that, when prisoners were forced to listen to
Eminem's Slim Shady album, “The music was so
foreign to them it made them frantic.” And in May
2003, when the story first broke that music was
being used by U.S. PsyOps teams in Iraq, Sgt.
Mark Hadsell, whose favored songs were said to be
“Bodies” by Drowning Pool and “Enter the Sandman”
by Metallica, told
<http://www.newsweek.com/id/59300/output/print>Newsweek,
“These people haven’t heard heavy metal. They can’t take it.”

Approval for the use of music torture in the “War on Terror”

Depending on people’s musical tastes, responses
to reports that music has been used to torture
prisoners often produces flippant comments along
the lines of, “If I had to listen to David Gray’s
‘Babylon’/ the theme tune from Barney the Purple
Dinosaur/ Christina Aguilera, I’d be crying
‘torture’ too.” But the truth, sadly, is far
darker, as Sgt. Hadsell explained after noting
that prisoners in Iraq had a problem with heavy
metal music. “If you play it for 24 hours,”
Hadsell said, “your brain and body functions
start to slide, your train of thought slows down
and your will is broken. That’s when we come in and talk to them.”

Hadsell, like senior figures in the
administration, was blithely unconcerned that
“breaking” prisoners, rather than finding ways of
encouraging them to cooperate, was not to best
way to secure information that was in any way
reliable, but the PsyOps teams were not alone. In
September 2003, Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, the
U.S. military commander in Iraq, approved the use
of music as part of a package of measures for use
on captured prisoners “to create fear, disorient

 and prolong capture shock,” and as is spelled
out in an explosive new report by the Senate
Armed Services Committee into the torture and
abuse of prisoners in U.S. custody
(<http://levin.senate.gov/newsroom/supporting/2008/Detainees.121108.pdf>PDF),
the use of music was an essential part of the
reverse engineering of techniques, known as
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape (SERE),
which are taught in U.S. military schools to
train personnel to resist interrogation. The report explains:

During the resistance phase of SERE training,
U.S. military personnel are exposed to physical
and psychological pressures
 designed to
simulate conditions to which they might be
subject if taken prisoner by enemies that did not
abide by the Geneva Conventions. As one

instructor explained, SERE training is “based on
illegal exploitation (under the rules listed in
the 1949 Geneva Convention Relative to the
Treatment of Prisoners of War) of prisoners over
the last 50 years.” The techniques used in SERE
school, based, in part, on Chinese Communist
techniques used during the Korean war to elicit
false confessions, include stripping detainees of
their clothing, placing them in stress positions,
putting hoods over their heads, disrupting their
sleep, treating them like animals, subjecting
them to loud music and flashing lights, and
exposing them to extreme temperatures. It can
also include face and body slaps, and until
recently, for some who attended the Navy’s SERE
school, it included waterboarding.

The Senate Committee’s report, which lays the
blame for the implementation of these policies on
senior officials, including President George W.
Bush, former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld,
Vice President Dick Cheney’s former legal counsel
(and now chief of staff) David Addington, and
former Pentagon general counsel William J. Haynes
II, makes it clear not only that the use of music
is part of a package of illegal techniques, but
also that at least part of its rationale,
according to the Chinese authorities who
implemented it, was that it secured false
confessions, rather than the “actionable
intelligence” that the U.S. administration was seeking.

The experiences of Binyam Mohamed and Donald Vance

In case any doubt remains as to the pernicious
effects of music torture, consider the following
comments by
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2008/11/10/guilt-by-torture-binyam-mohameds-transatlantic-quest-for-justice/>Binyam
Mohamed, a British resident, still held in
Guantánamo, who was tortured in Morocco for 18
months on behalf of the CIA, and was then
tortured for another four months in the CIA’s
“Dark Prison” in Kabul, and Donald Vance, a U.S.
military contractor in Iraq, who was subjected to
music torture for 76 days in 2006.

Speaking to his lawyer, Clive Stafford Smith, the
director of the legal action charity
<http://www.reprieve.org.uk/>Reprieve, Mohamed,
like Ruhal Ahmed, explained how psychological
torture was worse than the physical torture he
endured in Morocco, where the CIA’s proxy
torturers regularly cut his penis with a
razorblade. “Imagine you are given a choice,” he
said. “Lose your sight or lose your mind.”

In Morocco, music formed only a small part of
Mohammed’s torture. Towards the end of his
18-month ordeal, he recalled that his captors
“cuffed me and put earphones on my head. They
played hip-hop and rock music, very loud. I
remember they played Meatloaf and Aerosmith over
and over. I hated that. They also played 2Pac,
“All Eyez On Me,” all night and all day
couple of days later they did the same thing.
Same music. I could not take the headphones off
as I was cuffed. I had to sleep with the music on and even pray with it.”

At the “Dark Prison,” however, which was
otherwise a plausible recreation of a medieval
dungeon, in which prisoners were held in complete
darkness and were often chained to the walls by
their wrists, the use of music was relentless. As Mohamed explained:

It was pitch black, and no lights on in the rooms
for most of the time
 They hung me up for two
days. My legs had swollen. My wrists and hands
had gone numb
 There was loud music, Slim Shady
and Dr. Dre for 20 days. I heard this non-stop
over and over, I memorized the music, all of it,
when they changed the sounds to horrible ghost
laughter and Halloween sounds.  It got really
spooky in this black hole
 Interrogation was
right from the start, and went on until the day I
left there. The CIA worked on people, including
me, day and night. Plenty lost their minds. I
could hear people knocking their heads against
the walls and the doors, screaming their heads
off
 Throughout my time I had all kinds of
music, and irritating sounds, mentally disturbing. I call it brainwashing.

Vance’s story demonstrates not only that the
practice of using music as torture was being used
as recently as 2006, but also that it was used on
Americans. When his story first broke in December
2006, the
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/18/world/middleeast/18justice.html>New
York Times reported that he “wound up as a
whistle-blower, passing information to the FBI
about suspicious activities at the Iraqi security
firm where he worked, including what he said was
possible illegal weapons trading,” but that “when
American soldiers raided the company at his
urging, Mr. Vance and another American who worked
there were detained as suspects by the military,
which was unaware that Mr. Vance was an informer.”

Vance, who was held at Camp Cropper, explained
that he was routinely subjected to sleep
deprivation, taken for interrogation in the
middle of the night, and held in a cell that was
permanently lit by fluorescent lights. He added,
“At most hours, heavy metal or country music
blared in the corridor.” Speaking to the
<http://www.miamiherald.com/news/world/AP/story/806000.html>Associated
Press last week, he explained that the use of
music as torture “can make innocent men go mad,”
and added more about the use of music during his
imprisonment, stating that he was “locked in an
overcooled 9-foot-by-9-foot cell that had a
speaker with a metal grate over it. Two large
speakers stood in the hallway outside.” The
music, he said, “was almost constant, mostly hard
rock. There was a lot of Nine Inch Nails,
including ‘March of the Pigs.’ I couldn't tell
you how many times I heard Queen's ‘We Will Rock
You.’” He added that the experience “sort of
removes you from you. You can no longer formulate
your own thoughts when you're in an environment like that.”

After his release, Vance stated that he planned
to sue former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld,
on the basis that his constitutional rights had
been violated, and noted, “Saddam Hussein had
more legal counsel than I ever had.” He added
that he had written a letter to the camp’s
commander “stating that the same democratic
ideals we are trying to instill in the fledgling
democratic country of Iraq, from simple due
process to the Magna Carta, we are absolutely,
positively refusing to follow ourselves.”

Musicians take action

Last week, Reprieve launched a new initiative,
<http://www.zerodb.org/>Zero dB (against music
torture), aimed at encouraging musicians to take
a stand against the use of their music as
torture. This is not the first time that
musicians have been encouraged to speak out. In
June, Clive Stafford Smith raised the issue in
the
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/jun/19/usa.guantanamo>Guardian,
and when, in an accompanying article, the
Guardian noted that David Gray’s song “Babylon”
had become associated with the torture debate
after Haj Ali, the hooded man in the notorious
Abu Ghraib photographs, told of being stripped,
handcuffed and forced to listen to a looped
sample of the song, at a volume so high he feared
that his head would burst, Gray openly condemned
the practice. “The moral niceties of whether
they're using my song or not are totally
irrelevant,” he said. “We are thinking below the
level of the people we're supposed to oppose, and
it goes against our entire history and everything
we claim to represent. It's disgusting, really.
Anything that draws attention to the scale of the
horror and how low we've sunk is a good thing.”

In a subsequent interview with the
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7488498.stm>BBC,
Gray complained that the only part of the torture
music story that got noticed was its “novelty
aspect” -- which he compared to Guantánamo[‘s]
Greatest Hits -- and then delivered another
powerful indictment of the misappropriation of
his and other artists’ music. “What we’re talking
about here is people in a darkened room,
physically inhibited by handcuffs, bags over
their heads and music blaring at them for 24
hours a day, seven days a week,” he said. “That
is torture. That is nothing but torture. It
doesn’t matter what the music is -- it could be
Tchaikovsky’s finest or it could be Barney the
Dinosaur. It really doesn’t matter, it’s going to
drive you completely nuts.” He added, “No-one
wants to even think about it or discuss the fact
that we’ve gone above and beyond all legal process and we’re torturing people.”

Not every musician shared David Gray’s revulsion.
Bob Singleton, who wrote the theme tune to Barney
the Purple Dinosaur, which has been used
extensively in the “War on Terror,” acknowledged
in an op-ed for the
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-singleton10-2008jul10,0,285252.story>Los
Angeles Times in July that “if you blare the
music loud enough for long enough, I guess it can
become unbearable,” but refused to accept either
that songwriters can legitimately have any say
about how their music is used, or that there were
any circumstances under which playing music
relentlessly at prisoners could be considered
torture. “It's absolutely ludicrous,” he wrote.
“A song that was designed to make little children
feel safe and loved was somehow going to threaten
the mental state of adults and drive them to the
emotional breaking point?” He added, “The idea
that repeating a song will drive someone over the
brink of emotional stability, or cause them to
act counter to their own nature, makes music into
something like voodoo, which it is not.”

Singleton was not the only artist to
misunderstand how music could indeed constitute
torture -- especially when used as part of a
package of techniques specifically designed to
“break” prisoners. Steve Asheim, Deicide’s
drummer, said, “These guys are not a bunch of
high school kids. They are warriors, and they're
trained to resist torture. They're expecting to
be burned with torches and beaten and have their
bones broken. If I was a prisoner at Guantánamo
Bay and they blasted a load of music at me, I'd
be like, ‘Is this all you got? Come on.’ I
certainly don't believe in torturing people, but
I don't believe that playing loud music is torture either.”

Furthermore, other musicians have been positively
enthusiastic about the use of their music. Stevie
Benton of Drowning Pool, who have played to U.S.
troops in Iraq, told Spin magazine, “People
assume we should be offended that somebody in the
military thinks our song is annoying enough that
played over and over it can psychologically break
someone down. I take it as an honor to think that
perhaps our song could be used to quell another
9/11 attack or something like that.”

Fortunately, for those who understand that using
music as part of a system of torture techniques
is no laughing matter, the Zero dB initiative
provides the most noticeable attempt to date to
call a halt to its continued use. Christopher
Cerf, who wrote the music for Sesame Street, was
horrified to learn that the show’s theme tune had
been used in interrogations. “I wouldn't want my
music to be a party to that,” he said.

Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine has been
particularly outspoken in denouncing the use of
music as torture. In 2006, he also spoke to Spin
magazine, and explained, “The fact that our music
has been co-opted in this barbaric way is really
disgusting. If you're at all familiar with
ideological teachings of the band and its support
for human rights, that's really hard to stand.”
On this year’s world tour, Rage Against the
Machine regularly turned up on stage wearing
hoods and Guantánamo-orange jumpsuits, and during
a recent concert in San Francisco, Morello
proposed taking revenge on President George W.
Bush: “I suggest that they level Guantánamo Bay,
but they keep one small cell and they put Bush in
there ... and they blast some Rage Against the Machine.”

And on December 11, just after the Zero dB
initiative was announced, Trent Reznor of Nine
Inch Nails posted the
<http://ninblogs.wordpress.com/2008/12/11/regarding-nin-music-used-at-guantanamo-bay-for-torture/>following
message on his blog:

It’s difficult for me to imagine anything more
profoundly insulting, demeaning and enraging than
discovering music you’ve put your heart and soul
into creating has been used for purposes of
torture. If there are any legal options that can
be realistically taken they will be aggressively
pursued, with any potential monetary gains
donated to human rights charities. Thank GOD this
country has appeared to side with reason and we
can put the Bush administration’s reign of power,
greed, lawlessness and madness behind us.

Even James Hetfield of Metallica, who has
generally been portrayed as a defender of the
U.S. military’s use of his band’s music, has
expressed reservations. In a
<http://www.stpetersburgtimes.com/2004/11/21/Floridian/Iraq__n__roll.shtml>radio
interview in November 2004, he said that he was
“proud” that the military had used his music
(even though they “hadn't asked his permission or
paid him royalties”). “For me, the lyrics are a
form of expression, a freedom to express my
insanity,” he explained, adding, “If the Iraqis
aren't used to freedom, then I'm glad to be part
of their exposure.” Hetfield laughed off claims
that music could be used for torture, saying,
“We've been punishing our parents, our wives, our
loved ones with this music for ever. Why should
the Iraqis be any different?” However, he also
acknowledged the reason that the military was
using his music. “It's the relentlessness of the
music,” he said. “It's completely relentless. If
I listened to a death metal band for 12 hours in
a row, I'd go insane, too. I'd tell you anything you wanted to know.”

While these musicians have at least spoken out,
others -- including Eminem, AC/DC, Aerosmith, the
Bee Gees, Christina Aguilera, Prince and the Red
Hot Chili Peppers -- remain silent about the use
of their work. Britney Spears’ views are also
unknown, but if her
<http://edition.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/03/cnna.spears/>comments
to CNN in September 2003 are anything to go by,
it’s unlikely that she would find fault with it.
When Tucker Carlson said to her, “A lot of
entertainers have come out against the war in
Iraq. Have you?” Britney replied, “Honestly, I
think we should just trust our president in every
decision he makes and should just support that,
you know, and be faithful in what happens.”
Perhaps she should speak to
<http://www.pamelachannel.com/channel/2008/11/18/recommended-reading-to-mr-president-elect-obama-from-pamela-anderson/>Pamela
Anderson, who recently posted a simple message to
Barack Obama on her blog: “Please Shut down
Guantánamo Bay -- figure it out -- make
amends/stop torture -- it’s time for peaceful solutions.”

Andy Worthington is a British historian, and the
author of
'<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0745326641/counterpunchmaga>The
Guantánamo Files: The Stories of the 774
Detainees in America's Illegal Prison' (published
by Pluto Press). Visit his website at:
<http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/>www.andyworthington.co.uk
He can be reached at:
<mailto:andy at andyworthington.co.uk>andy at andyworthington.co.uk