[Ppnews] Detainees recall being injected, then questioned

Political Prisoner News ppnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 22 12:08:06 EDT 2008

Detainees recall being injected, then questioned

Issue gains attention with release of '03 Justice Dept. memo that OKd
use of drugs

Joby Warrick, Washington Post

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

(04-22) 04:00 PDT Washington - --

Adel al-Nusairi remembers his first six months at Guantanamo Bay as
this: hours and hours of questions, but first, a needle.

"I'd fall asleep" after the shot, Nusairi, a former Saudi police
officer captured by U.S. forces in Afghanistan in 2002, recalled in
an interview with his attorney at the military prison in Cuba,
according to notes. After being roused, Nusairi eventually did talk,
giving U.S. officials what he later described as a made-up confession
to buy some peace.

"I was completely gone," he remembered. "I said, 'Let me go. I want
to go to sleep. If it takes saying I'm a member of al Qaeda, I will.' "

Nusairi, now free in Saudi Arabia, was unable to learn what drugs
were injected before his interrogations. He is not alone in
wondering: At least two dozen other former and current detainees at
Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere say they were given drugs against their
will or witnessed other inmates being drugged, based on interviews
and court documents.

Like Nusairi, other detainees believe the injections were intended to
coerce confessions.

The Defense Department and the CIA, the two agencies responsible for
detaining terrorism suspects, both deny using drugs as an enhancement
for interrogations and suggest that the stories from Nusairi and
others like him are either fabrications or mistaken interpretations
of routine medical treatment.

Yet the allegations have resurfaced because of the release this month
of a 2003 Justice Department memo that explicitly condoned the use of
drugs on detainees.

Written to provide legal justification for interrogation practices,
the memo by then-Justice Department lawyer John Yoo rejected a
decades-old U.S. ban on the use of "mind-altering substances" on
prisoners. Instead, he argued that drugs could be used as long as
they did not inflict permanent or "profound" psychological damage.
U.S. law "does not preclude any and all use of drugs," wrote Yoo, now
a law professor at UC Berkeley. He declined to comment for this article.

The memo has prompted new calls for the Bush administration to give a
full accounting of its treatment of detainees, and to make public
detailed prison medical records. Legal experts and human rights
groups say that forced drugging of detainees for any nontherapeutic
reasons would be a particularly grave breach of international
treaties banning torture.

"The use of drugs as a form of restraint of prisoners is both
unlawful and unethical," said Leonard Rubenstein, an expert on
medical ethics and president of Physicians for Human Rights. "These
allegations demand a full inquiry by Congress and the Department of Justice."

So far, the evidence is limited to the accounts of detainees who
describe similar episodes in which they were forcibly given drugs and
experienced unnatural physical effects ranging from extreme
drowsiness to hallucinations. U.S. military officials have
acknowledged using only therapeutic drugs, such as vitamins and
vaccines, on Guantanamo Bay detainees.

"Our policy is, and always has been, to treat detainees humanely,"
said Navy Cmdr. J.D. Gordon, a Pentagon spokesman. "The use of
medication to manipulate a detainee has never been an approved DOD
interrogation technique."

Former U.S. intelligence officials have acknowledged using sedatives
to subdue some terrorism suspects as they were being transported from
one facility to another, but likewise insist that drugs were never
used as interrogation tools.

Several former military and intelligence officials familiar with the
detention program said they were unaware of any systematic use of
drugs to manipulate behavior.

But Alberto J. Mora, a former Navy general counsel who opposed the
Bush administration's decision to use aggressive interrogation
tactics, said he understands why some detainees are concerned. "They
knew they were being injected with something, and it is clear from
all accounts that some suffered severe psychological damage," Mora said.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/22/MNF9109J6D.DTL