[Ppnews] Committee to free Alvaro Luna Hernandez

PPnews at freedomarchives.org PPnews at freedomarchives.org
Tue Apr 12 13:00:00 EDT 2005

STATEMENT of the COMMITTEES to FREE ALVARO LUNA HERNANDEZ

Greetings Human Rights and Civil Liberties advocates,

The Committees to Free Alvaro Luna Hernandez--a Chicano political
prisoner held in Administrative Segregation deep in the heart of "Bush
Country" Texas--want to commend you on your efforts in pressing forward the
international issues of Human Rights abuses at military prisons in
Iraq and Cuba, and the similarly torturous domestic tragedies of
long-term isolation imprisonment in our own U.S. prisons; such as the
Super-Max Security Housing Units (SHUs) and "Ad Seg."

This is a crucial moment that we must seize, by strategizing
together to further expose the trends of the far-right power
structures, headed up by the U.S., that control most of the major
world powers, to repress political dissent and opposition in their
quest for the complete domination of the world's peoples and natural
resources at any cost. Alvaro is one of over a hundred social justice
activists who are imprisoned in the U.S. for daring to stand up
against these abuses.

An ominous threat looms with the emergence of recently appointed
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, a former Conservative Texas Supreme
Court Justice and White House aide complicit in U.S. policies of
torture and prisoner abuse at Abu Ghraib. Our attention on this man's
agenda, now that he is in command of the U.S. Department of Justice
and overseer of the U.S. prison system; must be stepped up.

We urge all forums and conferences convening on these issues to
support NGOs such as the International Indian Treaty Council, which
works on behalf of many indigenous peoples deprived of their liberties
by political imprisonment, including Alvaro Luna Hernandez's. Their
high-profile work at international forums like the U.N. Commission for
Human Rights has the potential to address OUR concerns to the world's
human rights representatives, and consequently to the U.S.
government's bureaucracy.

In the coming weeks and months, you can help us fight for justice
for Alvaro! We are calling on the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee to
open hearings on cases of injustice like Alvaro's recent denial at the
5th Circuit court, fueled by racism and the right-wing bias of
Bush-appointed judges.

REQUEST THAT THESE AGENCIES / INDIVIDUALS INTERVENE or SUPPORT ALVARO'S CASE! :

U.S. Attorney General
Alberto Gonzales,
U.S. Department of Justice,
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW,
Washington, D.C. 20530-0001
Fax: (202) 353-1555
<AskDOJ at usdoj.gov>

United States Senate,
Committee on the Judiciary,
224 Dirksen Senate Office Building,
Washington, D.C. 20510
Fax: (202) 224-9102
(202) 224-5225
Attn:
Chair, U.S. Senator Arlen Specter,
( R. PA. )
<arlen_specter at specter.senate.gov>
(202) 224-4254
Fax: (202) 228-1229
and:
U.S. Senator John Cornyn,
( R. TX. )
(202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856

U.S. Secretary of State,
Condoleezza Rice,
7th Floor, Office S, HST,
U.S. Department of State,
2201 C Street NW,
Washington, D.C. 20520
(202) 647-5291

U.S. Supreme Court Justice
John Paul Stevens,
U.S. Supreme Court Building,
Supreme Court of the United States,
1 First Street, N.E.,
Washington, D.C. 20543
(202) 479-3211
Clerk of the Court,
Honorable William K. Suter,
(202) 479-3014
Or: Toll-free - 1-800-877-8339

U.S. Representative
Cynthia McKinney,
Congresswoman,
4th District of Georgia,
320 Cannon House Office Building,
Washington, D.C> 20515
(202) 225-1605
Fax: (202) 226-0691
<cynthia at cynthiaforcongress.com>

ACLU National Executive Director,
Anthony D. Romero,
125 Broad Street, 18th Floor,
NYC, N.Y. 10004
(212) 344-3005

Learn everything you need to get involved at www.freealvaro.org.

COMMITTEES to FREE ALVARO LUNA HERNANDEZ
John: (512) 478-7666 Rene: (512) 416-8555