[News] Hamas welcomes UNSC resolution, expresses readiness for exchange deal

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Mar 25 16:55:08 EDT 2024

english.almayadeen.net
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/hamas-welcomes-unsc-resolution--expresses-readiness-for-exch>
Hamas welcomes UNSC resolution, expresses readiness for exchange deal
Al Mayadeen English
March 25, 2024
------------------------------

The Islamic Resistance Movement releases a statement on the recent UNSC
call for a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip during the holy month of Ramadan
[image: 76d34d86-1071-4e26-9344-5d0a66f12d94.jpg]

   - Members of Hamas' al-Qassam Brigades wave the movement's flags during
   a protest against the aggressive Middle East plan announced by then United
   States President Donald Trump, in Gaza City, the Gaza Strip, Palestine, on
   February 14, 2020. *(AP)*

The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement - Hamas welcomed the United
Nations Security Council’s call today for an immediate ceasefire, in a
statement released on Monday.

"We stress the necessity of reaching a permanent ceasefire that leads to
the withdrawal of all Zionist (Israeli occupation) forces from the Gaza
Strip and the return of the displaced [Palestinians] to the homes they were
forced out of," the movement emphasized.

"We also affirm our readiness to engage in an immediate prisoner exchange
process
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/hamas-open-to-continued-negotiations-with-conditions--politb>
that leads to the release of both sides’ detainees and captives," Hamas
said.

"We call on the Security Council to pressure the occupation to adhere to
the ceasefire and stop the war of genocide
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/guterres-calls-for-immediate-entry-of-aid-to-gaza--says-fami>
and ethnic cleansing against our people," the Resistance movement affirmed.

Hamas reiterated the Palestinian people's right to establish an independent
and sovereign Palestinian state with al-Quds as its capital. It also
underlined the Palestinian people's right to return to their homeland and
their right to self-determination, as stipulated in international decisions
and international law.

The Islamic Resistance Movement underlined the need to protect the freedom
of movement for all Palestinian citizens, as well as the movement of
humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip, including heavy equipment to be used
for rescue and recovery missions for thousands who remain under the rubble
created by Israeli bombs.

Hamas also expressed its gratitude for the efforts of Algeria and all other
members of the UNSC who stood by the Palestinian people and worked on
stopping the aggression on Gaza.

*Read more: Gaza on the brink of famine, UN-backed report warns
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/gaza-on-the-brink-of-famine--un-backed-report-warns>*
UNSC adopts ceasefire resolution

Following the United States' abstention from the vote
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/unsc-adopts-resolution-demanding-immediate-ceasefire-after-u>,
the UNSC requested an immediate ceasefire between the Israeli occupation
forces and the Palestinian Resistance, as well as the immediate and
unconditional release of all captives.

The resolution was sponsored by the body's ten elected members, and the
remaining 14 council members voted for it.

Algeria's UN Ambassador Amar Bendjama expressed after the vote that the
Palestinians have "suffered greatly", citing that the "bloodbath has
continued for far too long."

Washington has repeatedly opposed the term "ceasefire", and it used its
veto authority to defend its ally for its war on Gaza, which has killed
over 32,000 Palestinians and injured over 74,694.

*Read more: In 171 days only: 32,333 killed, 74,694 injured in Gaza
<https://english.almayadeen.net/news/politics/in-171-days-only--32-333-killed--74-694-injured-in-gaza>*