[News] 'Take what you want and we'll sort it out later': US weapons stash fuels Gaza carnage

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 27 15:40:24 EST 2023

 'Take what you want and we'll sort it out later': US weapons stash fuels
Gaza carnage

Concerns are growing over the Pentagon's practice of transferring munitions
to Israel from a secretive US stockpile without congressional oversight or
policy reviews

News Desk <https://new.thecradle.co/authors/news-desk-9>

DEC 27, 2023
(Photo Credit: Anadolu Agency)

A stockpile of weapons owned by the US government and hidden inside Israel
– known as the War Reserve Stocks for Allies-Israel (WRSA-I) – is back
<https://new.thecradle.co/articles-id/1595> in the limelight, as former US
officials believe the White House has dipped into it to restock
quickly-depleting munitions dropped inside the Gaza Strip.

“Officially, it’s US equipment for US use,” a former senior Pentagon
official told *The Guardian*
<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/27/gaza-war-puts-us-extensive-weapons-stockpile-in-israel-under-scrutiny>
*.* “But on the other hand, in an emergency, who’s to say we’re not going
to give them the keys to the warehouses?” he added.

Another senior US official familiar with WRSA-I told the British news
outlet that, when it comes to air-to-ground munitions, “we’ll give [Israel]
whatever they need.”

Created in the 1980s to supply the US army in case of a regional war, the
WRSA-I is the largest node in a global network of US weapons caches.

Although Tel Aviv is not legally allowed to make free use of WRSA-I – the
full contents of which are not publicly disclosed – the former defense
officials say transfers from the stockpile “differ from regular arms sales
between the US and another country,” as the munitions can be withdrawn by
the Israeli army “before the processes that account for the transferred
equipment are fully completed.”

“We sort of retroactively build a foreign military sales case, which may or
may not need to be notified to Congress, depending on what they took and
what quantities,” said Josh Paul, a former state department official who
resigned in October in protest at Washington’s unbridled support for the
ethnic cleansing of Gaza.

"There’s no review of human rights, there’s no review of regional balance,
there’s none of the conventional arms transfer policy review that would
normally happen […] Essentially, it’s take what you can and we’ll sort it
out later,” Paul added.

Furthermore, in late October, the White House sent a supplemental budget
request to Congress that included the removal of restrictions
<https://theintercept.com/2023/11/25/biden-israel-weapons-stockpile-arms-gaza/>
on all categories of weapons and ammunition Israel is allowed to access
from WRSA-I.

“A proposal in a legislative request to Congress to waive Congressional
notification entirely for FMF-funded Foreign Military Sales or Direct
Commercial Contracts is unprecedented in my experience […] Frankly, [it’s]
an insult to Congressional oversight prerogatives,” Josh Paul said about
the legal loophole, which was buried after more than 40 pages of
legislative legalese.

Although there's little to no transparency about the categories and
quantities of weapons the US is providing
<https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/israel-receives-230-planes-20-ships-loaded-with-us-arms-amid-gaza-war/3092301>
Israel, in October, *Axios*
<https://www.axios.com/2023/10/19/us-israel-artillery-shells-ukraine-weapons-gaza>
reported that Washington would give their allies 155mm artillery shells.

These unguided munitions, held in large quantities in WRSA-I, are
considered particularly hazardous as “their accuracy degrades over
distance, increasing the likelihood of civilians and civilian
infrastructure getting hit by errant shells,” according to Marc Garlasco, a
former UN war crimes investigator.

CNN revealed
<https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/13/politics/intelligence-assessment-dumb-bombs-israel-gaza?cid=ios_app>
earlier this month that a US intelligence assessment determined about 40-45
percent of over 29,000 air-to-ground munitions Israel has used in Gaza have
been unguided.

Israel's unrestrained use of these munitions inside one of the most densely
populated places on earth has quickly turned Gaza into the deadliest
military campaign
<https://new.thecradle.co/articles/israeli-siege-of-gaza-atop-most-destructive-in-modern-history>
in modern history, with a death rate of no less than 355 civilians per day
– roughly 70 percent of whom are women and children.