[News] Please Support the Freedom Archives

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Dec 26 12:11:09 EST 2023

­
Your Donation Means so Much to Us - Thanks for your Support
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dINmO7mqeWTdsUB4ty1/5WsdKQx8lfti>

­

*Winter 2023*

      Dear Friends,

We hope this letter finds folks as well as possible during this
turbulent time. Despite the overwhelming impact of the ongoing genocide
against Palestinians, the brazen and chilling RICO charges leveled at
Stop Cop City protestors in Atlanta and the continued illegal blockade
and attacks on Cuban national sovereignty – we know that people’s
resistance continues to organize and thrive!

It’s quite a privilege to do the work we do in a time like this. We’re
being nourished by visits from our community that include young people
discussing how to best organize for change. We are consistently
comforted by the long history of resistance and the ongoing struggle for
a better world and more just future.

Our archival work continues to expose the state’s strategy to use its
legal apparatus against people’s movements, the many ways international
law is subverted by Western imperialism, and the ways that anti-colonial
struggle is labeled as “terrorism.” The Archives also illuminate the
unyielding struggle against empire, and document imaginative social
projects that benefit the people and a collective commitment to the
practice and eventual attainment of independence and freedom.

Artist: Emory Douglas

*Remembering Our Former Political Prisoners*

Dr. Mutulu Shakur: The New Afrikan revolutionary, acupuncturist, and
political theorist, transitioned on July 7th, 2023. After 37 years
incarcerated as a political prisoner, Dr. Shakur spent just seven months
free after his compassionate release in December of 2022 before he
passed. You can read the tribute to his life and work posted on our
website
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIPRQa508ptBo5J0XH3/BbyKRFU94Gyo>.

Ruchell Cinque Magee: Claude worked as an integral part of a small team
that secured the compassionate release of Ruchell from prison at the end
of July 2023. Throughout his 67 years of unjust captivity, Ruchell had
been one of the first and most consistent prisoner activists linking
mass incarceration and the U.S. prison system to slavery and the right
to rebel. Ruchell’s political stance and writings point directly to the
need for a prison abolitionist movement as a way to seriously address
the historical legacy of slavery and slave rebellions to truly be in
solidarity with the millions of people incarcerated in the US. Ruchell
transitioned in October, after only two months of freedom. You can read
a tribute to his life posted on the SF Bayview website
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIR6T2N9d9IjjgQwAa5/ESvvNm27HU3Q>.

Ruchell Magee (Artist: Kiilu Nyasha)

Dr. Mutulu Shakur (Artist: Sophia Dawson)

*Sex Workers against the Law Curriculum and Resource Guide*

After many years of diligent work, we’re excited to present /Sex Workers
against the Law: Sex Work, Decriminalization, and Feminism: Selections
from the Freedom Archives/
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dISlVUfJ7SiHfHYrnt7/f_4hJMxr0qRZ>.
This online guide focuses on the international struggle of Sex Workers
organizing against laws that ensure their marginalization through
criminalization and violence. This resource will help highlight the
presence of Sex Workers organizing within the larger feminist movement
and the conversations regarding sex work happening – with and without –
the participation and representation of Sex Workers themselves.

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIUQXwxSbm7pasgnRC9/m006iqjTElNz>

Spearheaded by one of our longtime volunteers E. Conner, we hope that
this compendium of the materials in Freedom Archives’ collections can
work in conversation with other digital archives and can serve to
encourage independent and institutional archives to identify and
preserve these important stories of struggle.

­
Your Donation Means so Much to Us - Thanks for your Support
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIW5aPFc65XNWToj4VB/ZGoIFzMkakEG>

­

*Freedom Archives in the Community *

We’ve all been in the streets joining thousands globally supporting
Palestinian liberation and calling for an end to genocide and a cease
fire. We also joined an event welcoming Haiti’s Mildred Aristide to the
Bay Area, and attended a large counter summit challenging the APEC (Asia
Pacific Economic Cooperation) meeting in San Francisco. A couple of
weeks ago, Nathaniel was in conversation with Professor Ben Webster
about his recently published book American Purgatory. Discussion ranged
from prison resistance as anti-colonial resistance, archival work in the
service of liberation movements, and centering the voices and
perspectives of political prisoners.

In mid-November, Freedom Archives also welcomed Liz Olivia Fernandez to
La Pena for an afternoon film screening of /Uphill on the Hill/ and
conversation. The focus of the lively gathering was amplifying the
campaign to remove Cuba from the US state sponsored Terrorist List and
to end the illegal blockade.

Belly of the Beast Event: Nathaniel and Nadya Tannous (Palestinian Youth
Movement).

*Newly Digitized Archival Materials*

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIXkcrXlaOwvS4wehoD/_iEgIfKYNuj8>

Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center (1971)

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIZPfJpv4iMTNg4aL7F/T1XnpRWKdl94>

Civic Religious Committee (ca 1982)

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIb4hm84Z1m1JHCVyQH/2x0FF-pFHxpG>

Palestine Information Office (1981)

As always, we continue to support researchers, students, museums,
educators, and documentary filmmakers to access materials in the
archives to support their projects while also engaging in projects of
our own.

In other exciting news, this year we got a new roof and went solar!

We deeply appreciate the ways you’ve helped us build a strong foundation
for a vibrant future, continually growing our educational resources, and
participate in ongoing struggles for justice and freedom. Thank you!!

We always welcome your comments and suggestions. Your donations help us
amplify our efforts and impact – please support our work by sending us a
check, giving online and when possible, signing up as a monthly donor.
You can now use Venmo
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/6rqJfgq8dIcjkEQE3LBZEsKRbjJ/buDMVWyxAQQX>
to donate to our work @freedomarchives.

*Freedom Archives*

1615 Hopkins Street,

Berkeley, CA, 94707

This email was sent to claude at freedomarchives.org

You've received it because you've subscribed to our newsletter.

­
Your Donation Means so Much to Us - Thanks for your Support
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeFuYwWOwUIj31oHCz7gr/r8Msm7DLZZh3>

­

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeG1QOfDtfSsX7dZwxQH7/QEKGttjQBQaA>
	­

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeG8Hqo2qqd21DSsgvirN/YdGXYrdRtNLM>
	­

<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGF9Iwro1nBVJIBQu1Rd/zaNNsu3bLTTM>

View in browser
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/mr/sh/6rqJ8GoudeITQXny99ggzsUObnZ/NGIL4JIri3PC>
| Unsubscribe
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGM0l5glCxKzP7UAsK1t/ZIRXR4vDLNHl>

If you wish to unsubscribe from our newsletter, click here
<https://a3ouk.r.ag.d.sendibm3.com/mk/un/sh/6rqJ8GqndAnmP72QBW0VAEzBLk5/ybEIXnBcIZdm>