[News] The Western Allied Nations Bully the World While Warning of Threats From China and Russia

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Fri Feb 18 11:29:39 EST 2022

counterpunch.org
<https://www.counterpunch.org/2022/02/18/the-western-allied-nations-bully-the-world-while-warning-of-threats-from-china-and-russia/>
The
Western Allied Nations Bully the World While Warning of Threats From China
and RussiaVijay Prashad - February 18, 2022
------------------------------

On January 21, 2022, Vice Admiral Kay-Achim Schönbach attended
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/an-important-strategic-partner/mr4mp3/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
talk in New Delhi, India, organized by the Manohar Parrikar Institute for
Defense Studies and Analyses
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/2022-02-17/mr4mp5/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>.
Schönbach was speaking as the chief
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/en-529330-529330/mr4mp7/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
of
Germany’s navy during his visit to the institute. “What he really wants is
respect,” Schönbach said
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/watch-v-ODmkoGQw1TU/mr4mp9/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>,
referring to Russia’s President Vladimir Putin. “And my god, giving someone
respect is low cost, even no cost.” Furthermore, Schönbach said that in his
opinion, “It is easy to even give him the respect he really demands and
probably also deserves.”

The next day, on January 22, Ukraine’s Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba
summoned
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/220122-ukraina-1769080963-html/mr4mpc/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
Germany’s
ambassador to Ukraine, Anka Feldhusen, to Kyiv and “expressed deep
disappointment” regarding the lack of German weapons provided to Ukraine
and also about Schönbach’s comments in New Delhi. Vice Admiral Schönbach
released a statement soon after, saying
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/schoenbach-ruecktritt-103-html/mr4mpf/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>,
“I have just asked the Federal Minister of Defense [Christine Lambrecht] to
release me from my duties and responsibilities as inspector of the navy
with immediate effect.” Lambrecht did not wait long to accept the
resignation.

Why was Vice Admiral Schönbach sacked? Because he said two things that are
unacceptable
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/germaniya-1769079837-html-in-t/mr4mph/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
in
the West: first, that
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/watch-v-ODmkoGQw1TU/mr4mp9/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
“the
Crimean Peninsula is gone and never [coming] back” to Ukraine and, second,
that Putin should be treated with respect. The Schönbach affair is a vivid
illustration of the problem that confronts the West currently, where
Russian behavior is routinely described as “aggression” and where the idea
of giving “respect” to Russia is disparaged.

*Aggression*

U.S. President Joe Biden’s administration began to use
<https://go.ind.media/e/546932/ary-jen-psaki-january-25-2022-/mr4mpk/999370378?h=z2uWBymsDDrRo-0x9-JLy_1lt4fKVmia6KrC80ufrbo>
the
word “imminent” to describe a potential Russian invasion of Ukraine toward
the end of January. On January 18, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki
did not use the word “imminent,” but implied it with her comment