[News] Venezuela Condemns Abduction of Diplomat Alex Saab by the US

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Oct 17 19:08:28 EDT 2021

telesurenglish.net
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Venezuela-Condemns-Abduction-of-Diplomat-Alex-Saab-by-the-US-20211016-0003.html>

  Venezuela Condemns Abduction of Diplomat Alex Saab by the US

October 16, 2021

On Saturday, Venezuela's Foreign Affairs Ministry (MPPRE) condemned the
abduction of Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab by the U.S in complicity with
Cape Verde's authorities.

    /*RELATED: */

    /*Alex Saab Kidnapping Meant to Stop Food Purchases: Maduro*/
    <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjE4Kag78_zAhXnQjABHcjUBeEQFnoECAMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telesurenglish.net%2Fnews%2FAlex-Saab-Kidnapping-Meant-to-Stop-Food-Purchases-Maduro-20210923-0023.html&usg=AOvVaw2hXcABW9aie-KNbX-1BIWR>

The Venezuelan diplomacy decried that Saab remained 491 days under an
illegal arrest in the African Nation where he suffered torture and his
health deteriorated.

The diplomat was waiting for his transfer from the Sal island to Praia,
as authorized by the Windward Court of Appeal instead of his deportation
to the U.S where he is accused of money laundering.

MPPRE warned that Saab's abduction to the US represents a threat to the
maintenance of the political dialogue with the opposition sector in
Mexico since Saab is a member of the Bolivarian delegation to the talks.

    #Venezuela
    <https://twitter.com/hashtag/Venezuela?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>
    | “I hope that Cape Verde's authorities will finally see that
    neither I nor my four-year-old and 18-month-old daughters pose any
    threat to this country,” Fabri stated. https://t.co/fjCEw5mPzC

    — teleSUR English (@telesurenglish) October 11, 2021
    <https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1447351242427035651?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Saab was arrested by the International Police (Interpol) and Cape
Verdean authorities on June 12, 2020, during a technical stopover at
Amilcar Cabral International Airport. He was traveling to Iran where he
was due to seal agreements for the purchase of medicine and food to
combat the COVID-19 pandemic in the Bolivarian nation.

"The Bolivarian government repudiates this grave violation of human
rights against a Venezuelan citizen, invested as a diplomat and
representative of our country to the world. This fact sets a dangerous
precedent for International Law," MPPRE noted.

"We hold the authorities of Cape Verde and the Government of President
Biden responsible for the life and physical integrity of Alex Saab and
we reserve as a sovereign nation the actions we will take accordingly,"
MPPRE added.