[News] Woppaburra people formally recognised as native title holders for Keppel Islands

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Sun Dec 12 19:53:30 EST 2021

abc.net.au
<https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-04/woppaburra-native-title-keppel-islands/100672040?utm_campaign=abc_news_web&utm_content=facebook&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web>
Woppaburra
people formally recognised as native title holders for Keppel Islands
Erin Semmler, Jasmine Hines - December 3, 2021
------------------------------

Woppaburra woman Samala Cronin stands on the pristine white sand of
Konomie, or North Keppel Island, watching her people be formally recognised
as the area's rightful custodians.

It is a bittersweet moment.
Key points:

   - Woppaburra people have been formally recognised as native title holders
   - Their native title determination area covers 567 square kilometres and
   includes Woppa (Great Keppel) and Konomie (North Keppel)
   - Woppaburra woman Samala Cronin says the ruling has been “transcendent”

Almost 120 years ago, her people were forcibly removed from their islands
in central Queensland, enduring deep suffering, but in a historic ruling on
Friday, they were recognised as native title holders, proving their
unwavering connection to their land.

Ms Cronin said the ruling would set a precedent for others still fighting
for native title determination.

"Today is not like any other day," she said.

"It's not like any other native title consent determination.

"We are the only native title group to be removed from country for over 80
years and to achieve exclusive native titles rights over our country."

[image: An Indigenous woman uses a tissue to dab her eyes.]
Woppaburra elder Nellie Richards after the ruling was made.(ABC
Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

In a special on-country hearing on Konomie, the Honourable Justice Rangiah
of the Federal Court of Australia ruled more than 567 square kilometres of
land and sea would be recognised as Woppaburra country.

The claim includes 13 islands including Woppa, known as Great Keppel Island.

[image: A graphic map of the Keppel Islands off the Yeppoon coast]
The claim covers 567 square kilometres and 13 islands, including the two
largest, Woppa (Great Keppel) and Konomie (North Keppel).(ABC News)

The native title claim group includes descendants from Yulowa
"Weerobilling", Nellie "Ooroong-ooran", Oyster Maggie, and Fanny
Lohyse/Singh.

Ms Cronin said the claim was originally contested by the state and federal
governments because of the requirement to prove an unbroken, continuing
connection to their land — a difficulty at first because of the more than
80 years spent off-country after their brutal removal.

[image: A painted Indigenous man crouches by a smoking ceremony while
people walk around him]
The Woppaburra people mark the occasion with a smoking ceremony.(ABC
Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

[image: Indigenous boys at a smoking ceremony outside]
Elder Uncle Bob Muir says it was "very special" to see young and old coming
together.(ABC Capricornia: Jasmine Hines)

"Our people suffered greatly on these islands," Ms Cronin said.

"For us to have what we have today, to get the successful outcome against
every odd, it's a precedent in native title.

Queensland South Native Title Services said the recognition of exclusive
and non-exclusive native title returned rights to the Woppaburra people,
including to possess, occupy, use and enjoy parts of the area to the
exclusion of all others, and the non-exclusive rights to hunt, fish, and
gather from the water.

Meaghan Cummins from the Konomie family said she first got involved with
Debbra Witteman in looking after country through a Traditional Use of
Marine Resources Agreement (TUMRA) 17 years ago.

[image: Two Indigenous women standing on a beach]
Meaghan Cummins and Debbra Witteman.(ABC Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

Her message to Woppaburra people was to "remember the removal and rejoice
in our resilience".

After the determination was made, Ms Witteman said "you'll hear a lot more
of us, and always [be] welcome to come on country and enjoy our festive
moments on Konomie".
A long journey

Elder Uncle Bob Muir has been at the centre of the battle for land rights
for decades, which began with his mother on Woppa.

[image: Close up shot of an Indigenous man standing on a beach looking out
at the ocean]
Uncle Bob Muir says the formal recognition of native title has been a long
time coming.(ABC Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

"Through that, we got land through the Queensland Aboriginal Land Act and
now we have native title recognised as well.

"So it's been a big journey."

Mr Muir said Woppaburra people were taken from their country in 1902, and
it was not until 1984 that they returned.

He said the experience of coming together was "very special … let alone the
recognition of native title".
Strength in the future

Mr Muir said the ruling meant Woppaburra people would once again manage
their own country, and also increase their presence in terms of tourism and
business in the area.

He said the determination, surrounded by Woppaburra people, was "surreal".

"It's very special, as an Elder, you really want to try and make sure that
the work and the things we do will be carried on by our young people," he
said.

Ms Cronin also said the experience of seeing her family, their babies, and
children playing in the ocean was "transcendent".

[image: A small boy playing in sand on a beach]
Mr Muir says the ruling will mean more young Woppaburra people will be
involved in managing country.(ABC Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

For Jordan Cummins, the day was especially significant.

It was the first time his baby son, Elijah, and his older daughter had been
on Woppaburra country.

[image: An Indigenous man holding an Indigenous baby on an Island, smiling
at him.]
 Woppaburra man Jordan Cummins takes his son, Elijah, to Konomie for the
first time.(ABC Capricornia: Erin Semmler)

"I feel blessed, privileged," Mr Cummins said.

"While we haven't entirely got our land back, we're actually recognised
now."