[News] Historic turnout in Honduran elections ousts US-backed ruling party

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Dec 1 10:15:46 EST 2021

/Having trouble viewing this email? View it in your web browser
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T764c1fe6-a195-4b2f-9851-11dc2cce621c/17901e53-a68f-4875-b0f6-ccb7af22767e>/

*Euphoria has reigned in the streets of Honduras since Sunday night,
when it became clear that massive turnout of voters propelled the
opposition candidate, Xiomara Castro, to the presidency. *

12 years after the National Party took power in the 2009 military coup,
Hondurans resoundingly rejected them at the ballot box. Historic turnout
overcame the ruling party's vote buying and attempts to cling to power.
*With over half of the votes counted, Xiomara Castro led the ruling
party candidate by nearly 20 points, with 53% of the vote. *

Castro is slated to become Honduras' first female President. She was
presidential candidate of an opposition alliance that brought together
her leftist party, LIBRE, as well as center and right parties and those
who had grown weary of the ruling party's widespread corruption. The
election was a referendum on outgoing President Juan Orlando Hernandez,
whose eight years in power have been marked by brutal state repression,
militarization, massive corruption, and state-backed drug trafficking.
In 2017, a 5 point margin of victory for the opposition with over half
the vote counted mysteriously evaporated during 'technical failures' and
Hernandez used fraud, lethal military repression of demonstrators, and
US support to retain power.

*This time, however, the Honduran people turned out in historic numbers*
- *with 68% of the population voting - and the 20 point margin of
victory with over half of the vote counted led to massive celebrations
around the country starting Sunday night. *On Tuesday, the ruling party
candidate finally conceded. **

In her victory speech, Castro spoke of the past 12 years of resistance
by the Honduran people and lifted up the memory of the numerous martyrs
who lost their lives opposing the coup and subsequent regimes. She also
emphasized her plan to build a government of unity and reconciliation.
As President, she will face huge challenges. Since the U.S.-backed coup,
there has been a massive looting of Honduras, with the violent
implementation of extreme right-wing neoliberal policies that have
plundered both public institutions and natural resources. This has
resulted in massive poverty, displacement, migration, and the
criminalization and murders of those who have defended nature and human
rights. The damage that was done will not be fixed overnight, but will
take sustained organizing. As Bertha Zuniga, General Coordinator of
COPINH, wrote
<https://default.salsalabs.org/T9cbacb57-d589-4da8-a486-20c33bfbc179/17901e53-a68f-4875-b0f6-ccb7af22767e>
on Twitter on Sunday night, ''Now we must rebuild our Honduras so that
never again are people murdered or jailed for defending nature and the
rights of Indigenous peoples. The Struggle Continues.''

*As Hondurans embark on the struggle to rebuild, the U.S. must not
interfere.* We know too well that the U.S. bears significant
responsibility for the destruction of Honduras over the past 12 years
(and over the past century). *We will not forget that it was U.S.
recognition of Hernandez as President that enabled him to stay in power
despite massive fraud in the 2017 elections. *We will not forget the
U.S. training, financing, and equipping of the military and police
forces that shot and killed demonstrators in the streets. We will not
forget the U.S. financing of the Hernandez regime in the name of
fighting the drug war even as his brother was prosecuted by the U.S. for
drug trafficking. We will not forget the U.S. training of those who
carried out the 2009 coup at the School of the Americas. In the days
ahead, as the votes continue to come in and Hondurans continue
organizing, challenging extremely violent and entrenched powerful
forces, we must remain vigilant against U.S. interference and demand
respect for the will of the Honduran population.

While the road ahead is paved with challenges, at this moment *we lift
up the clear mandate of the Honduran people and what that represents
after the past 12 years of repression and bloodshed. *Congratulations,
Honduras!

SOA Watch