[News] Santa Fe Denies Permit for Mural Art Depicting Plight of Palestinian Children

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue Jan 28 10:52:31 EST 2020

https://truthout.org/articles/santa-fe-denies-permit-for-mural-art-depicting-plight-of-palestinian-children/?utm_source=sharebuttons&utm_medium=mashshare&utm_campaign=mashshare

  Santa Fe Denies Permit for Mural Art Depicting Plight of Palestinian
  Children

Jeff Haas - January 27, 2020

The stucco wall on Santa Fe’s Old Pecos Trail is now papered with images
of Israeli soldiers terrorizing Palestinian women and children. This art
was created by Navajo artist Remy at the request of Santa Feans for
Justice in Palestine (SFJP), of which I am a member. For the past six
years, we have been creating art depicting the conditions of
Palestinians under the Israeli occupation. Guthrie Miller, the owner of
the wall where the art has been located since 2014, has supported this
effort. His wall abuts one of the main thoroughfares leading into Santa
Fe, and is also on the cross street leading to Museum Hill, where Native
American Art and history are displayed in several prestigious museums.

Our art began with wheat-pasting the names, photos and biographies of 12
children killed in the Israeli bombings of Gaza in 2014. More recently,
the photos contain images of unarmed Palestinians murdered by Israeli
snipers during Gaza’s March of Return and photos of midnight raids by
Israel Defense Forces (IDF) soldiers blindfolding, jailing and
terrorizing Palestinian children. The images on our signs have been
routinely desecrated and vandalized, some after two weeks and some after
two months. Our most recent sign in December displayed five 6-year-old
Palestinian girls in winter coats with the caption, “These Palestinian
Children Are Just Like Yours
<https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/pro-palestinian-art-appears-on-old-pecos-trail-wall/article_b28226ba-30a5-11ea-a755-9375ab21b64f.html>.”
This graphic, like those preceding it for the past three years, was
confined to one panel of the wall and most recently to a 3’ x 5’ sign,
authorized by the city. The nonthreatening photo of the Palestinian
girls was torn apart within 72 hours.

In response, on January 5, Navajo artist Remy wheat-pasted to six of the
large 9’ by 6’ stucco wall panels life-size images of IDF forces,
arresting, threatening, intimidating and pointing gun and tank barrels
at Palestinian children, some of whom had been killed. There is a large
caption in a middle panel reading “End Military Aid to Israel.”

The images are jarring and meant to awaken the public to what our tax
dollars are doing and get support for the Congressional bill to stop
funding Israel’s use of military courts, judges and soldiers to
threaten, intimidate and, in some instances, torture Palestinian
children. Remy also pointed to how the art reminds us that Israel’s
actions mirror the atrocities committed by the U.S. against its own
Indigenous population. He stated that the images of armed Israeli
soldiers and tanks confronting Palestinian women and children show “the
similarities when you look at the Indigenous struggle of this continent
and the Indigenous struggle there.

The /Santa Fe New Mexican/ and the /Albuquerque Journal/ have written
stories reproducing the images, and the comment section has mirrored the
conflicting reactions. The/New Mexican/ reported that the local Jewish
community was “sharply divided
<https://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/pro-palestinian-art-appears-on-old-pecos-trail-wall/article_b28226ba-30a5-11ea-a755-9375ab21b64f.html>.”
Not surprisingly, a local rabbi has labeled the wall art as
“anti-Semitic” — a term he and many others inaccurately apply to
exposures of Israel’s shameful treatment of Palestinians. This is part
of a conscious effort to suppress the dialogue and provide Israel with
immunity from criticism of its deadly policies. (As many Jewish critics
have pointed out
<https://truthout.org/articles/the-dangers-of-conflating-anti-zionism-with-anti-semitism/>,
conflating critique of Israel with anti-Semitism is a dangerous game.)
Meanwhile, the Santa Fe and Albuquerque chapters of Jewish Voice for
Peace and The Red Nation have actively supported and defended the art as
a reminder of the injustices perpetrated against Palestinians and other
Indigenous people.

In the face of this controversy, we maintain that it is important for us
to display this art in public. Why? Because the opinions of people in
the U.S. matter, when it comes to Israel’s actions. Without U.S.
military, financial and diplomatic backing, Israel could not carry out
rampant human rights abuses such as home demolitions, imprisonment of
the entire population of Gaza, and putting its people “on a diet
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/israels-starvation-diet-gaza/11810>”
to advance its apartheid objectives. Our images are intended to get the
onlookers to oppose U.S.-sponsored Israeli state terrorism, just as the
iconic photo of the Vietnamese girl running from a U.S. napalm attack
shocked many into opposing the Vietnam War.

On January 8, a representative from the Santa Fe historic district came
to the home of Guthrie Miller, the property owner of the wall and
informed him that if he came to City Hall and applied for a permit, he
would get administrative approval for the wall art. Guthrie met Lisa
Roach, Historic Preservation Division manager and Eli Isaacson, acting
Land Use Department director on January 10 and again was told that
approval would be granted.

By midday on Monday, January 13, /Santa Fe New Mexican/ reporter Robert
Nott was also informed by the land department that the permit would be
granted. Nevertheless, on Monday afternoon, Santa Fe City spokeswoman
Lilia Chacon announced that homeowner Guthrie Miller “will not be
receiving administrative approval to keep the mural up because the
medium (papier-mâché) is not allowed in the historic district.”

In fact, the municipal code is totally silent about the medium for wall
art, neither allowing nor prohibiting any medium, and Guthrie’s wall
complies with requirements for stucco walls. The letter to Guthrie on
January 14
<https://truthout.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/santafeletterart.jpg>
offered the same pretext for the denial as Chacon’s and was in fact
signed by Roach, who had never raised the issue of the medium
previously, nor had she objected to it in her meetings with Miller.

One must conclude that the real reason for the denial is likely the
content, not the medium, of the murals. Despite the fact that many young
people, including many young Jews, are more sympathetic to the
Palestinians than the Israeli government, many older people and
institutions — and the evangelicals and authoritarians within the U.S.
government — give uncritical support to Israel and seek to silence its
critics by labeling them anti-Semitic. The wall art images contradict
the narrative of Israel as the victim. They are not intended to be
pleasant, because the conditions Palestinians face in Gaza and the other
occupied territories within Israel are abhorrent, deadly and
dehumanizing. The purpose of the art is to confront and sensitize people
about what they and their government are facilitating, and the
devastating effects of funding the Israeli military. It is to make these
impacts known, so onlookers will be morally outraged and oppose U.S.
support of the abuses of the Israeli military. The message is not just
about what the IDF is doing, but about our complicity. To reject that
complicity, we must demand that our country stop funding the Israeli
military until it complies with international and human rights law.

There are concrete ways to take political action on this issue right
now. One is to urge our representatives to support Rep. Betty McCullom’s
pending H.R. 2407
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/israels-starvation-diet-gaza/11810>
(“No Way to Treat a child”), which would cut off U.S. funding to the
Israeli military’s treatment of Palestinian children. Thus far, our New
Mexico representatives have ignored this plea despite the fact that
Israel is the only country to apply military law to juveniles.

Meanwhile, back in Sante Fe, wall owner Guthrie Miller has appealed the
ruling, which could ban all mural art in the historic district because
no permissible medium is set forth in the code. Guthrie and SFJP believe
the current denial of a permit is a violation of the First Amendment,
which does not allow for banning free expression based on the content
being disagreeable to some. Opponents of the art will argue it has no
relevance in Santa Fe. Many see military funding of Israel as only a
foreign policy issue, but it becomes of domestic importance when
candidates court Zionist and Evangelical support and money by competing
for giving the most military aid to Israel. The appeal to maintain the
art points out that Santa Fe’s contribution to funding the Israel
military from 2009 to 2018 was $14,593,839
<https://public.tableau.com/shared/PH2HZC8H6?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link&:embed=y>
— which could have funded hundreds of people seeking affordable housing,
green jobs training, early reading programs or primary health care.

The sign and art wars will continue — as does the struggle of the
Palestinian people for freedom and equality.

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/