[News] Puerto Rico: Citizens Demand Resignation of Governor Vasquez

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jan 23 13:12:39 EST 2020

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Puerto-Rico-Citizens-Demand-Resignation-of-Governor-Vasquez-20200123-0001.html

  Puerto Rico: Citizens Demand Resignation of Governor Vasquez

January 23, 2020

Puerto Rico's singer Resident (Rene Perez) and baseball player Yadier
Molina called on citizens to join a march to demand the resignation of
Governor Wanda Vazquez and Senate President Thomas Rivera for their
mismanagement of the crisis generated by the earthquakes that hit that
island from Dec. 28
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Powerful-Earthquake-Hits-Puerto-Rico-for-the-2nd-Time-This-Week-20200107-0001.html>.

“They have to understand that people have the power. The corrupt
government, which has not been able to deliver, has to understand that
we decide," Resident said and invited Puerto Ricans to join the march
that will depart from San Juan's Capitol at 17:00 local time on Thursday.

Ricky Martin also announced that he will travel to Puerto Rico to
participate in this new massive rally against corruption.

"In times of greatest need for our people, those who supposedly should
lead us have failed us again. They have once again transgressed the most
basic rights of human beings: water, roof, education, security. They did
it with evil. There is no other explanation, "Martin said.

"I'm on my way to Puerto Rico... I'll accompany you in this new claim
for respect, justice, and peace."

    A las 5pm Desde el capitolio hasta la calle Resistencia ���� Somos
    los versos que no cantan en nuestro himno �� At 5pm from the capitol
    to the Street of Resistance. We are the verses that aren’t sung in
    our anthem pic.twitter.com/R61FGGTKMJ <https://t.co/R61FGGTKMJ>

    — Residente (@Residente) January 23, 2020
    <https://twitter.com/Residente/status/1220169107280138241?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw>

Puerto Ricans are accusing Vazquez and Rivera of mismanagement, for they
knew about the existence of humanitarian supplies that were not
distributed among the victims.

Early this week, food provided by international humanitarian aid was
discovered stored in a warehouse in the city of Ponce, which caused
outrage among citizens because those resources were never used to help
some 4,000 victims.​​​​​​​​​​​​

Resident recalled that last summer's demonstrations caused the
resignation of Ricardo Rossello as governor, so he now asks for a
similar effort.​​​​​​​ Protesters also demand to advance the elections
and replace officials who should already be out of the government.​​​​​​​

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/