[News] Ricky Martin, Bad Bunny Join Puerto Rico Protests Against Governor Rossello

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 18 11:47:51 EDT 2019

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Ricky-Martin-Bad-Bunny-Join-Puerto-Rico-Protests-Against-Governor-Rossello-20190717-0006.html

  Ricky Martin, Bad Bunny Join Puerto Rico Protests Against Governor
  Rossello

July 17, 2019

Thousands of Puerto Ricans continued Wednesday their fourth consecutive
day protesting in the main cities of the island and demanding the
resignation of Governor Ricardo Rossello
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Protests-US-Demand-Puerto-Rico-Governor-Resignation-20190715-0020.html>,
who is immersed in a scandal involving leaked offensive messages on the
chat app Telegram against journalists and political leaders.

    /*RELATED:*/

    /*Police Injure 14 in Protests Demanding Resignation of Puerto Rico
    Governor*/
    <https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Police-Injure-14-in-Protests-Demanding-Resignation-of-Puerto-Rico-Governor-Rossello-20190716-0005.html>

The Colectiva Femenina organization called for a demonstration in Old
San Juan in which artists such as Residente, Daddy Yankee, Ricky Martin
and Bad Bunny will be present.

"My heart suffers for the events and my voice joins that of all those
who, more than an explanation, demand a change... Transparency has to be
part of our culture to fight corruption. I join a peaceful protest to
demand for transparency and, above all, to demand for respect," the
singer Daddy Yankee said.

A day earlier in San Juan protests began in the vicinity of La
Fortaleza, the seat of government, where a group of women sat in the
street and covered their mouths with a tape saying "Resign."

Throughout the day, the protests multiplied in dozens of places through
peaceful civil resistance actions. For example, in the neighborhood of
Rio Piedras, a group of people expressed their anger at their government
by removing the image of Rossello which was at the offices of the Driver
Services Center.

"This cannot be allowed, it is disrespectful," said Bad Bunny, referring
to what is happening in Puerto Rico and added that the Rossello
government is stealing in our face."

"Frustrated and angry, I feel an awful chest pressure and how I can get
rid of this anguish is simply traveling to Puerto Rico and saying
present on the march," Ricky Martin said and recalled that Rosello and
his friends made fun of women, the LGBTI community, people
with disabilities, and the obese. "Enough, this cannot be."

The Puerto Rico governor said the artists demanding his dismissal are
causing an unprecedented institutional crisis. However, Rossello
insisted that he will remain in office, for he did not commit any crime.

Besides being ignited by a U.S. federal probe into his
government's corruption, ongoing protests against the governor were also
sparked by the publication of derogatory, misogynistic and homophobic
Telegram messages
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/puerto-rico-tito-kayak-arrested-banner-ricardo-rosello-resignation-20190715-0006.html>
between the Puerto Rican governor and his closest allies, "the Brothers."

In the midst of these events, the U.S. State Secretary Mike Pompeo
<https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Pompeo-Launches-Commission-to-Study-Human-Rights-Role-20190708-0010.html>
will make a stop in San Juan on Thursday as part of his official trip to
Argentina, Ecuador, Mexico and El Salvador.

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/