[News] Ecuadoreans March Against Neoliberal Gov't, Met With Violence

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Wed Apr 17 10:56:03 EDT 2019

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Ecuadoreans-March-Against-Neoliberal-Govt-Met-With-Violence-20190416-0036.html

  Ecuadoreans March Against Neoliberal Gov't, Met With Violence

Published 16 April 2019

“Not even one less right” was the sentiment and chanting that thousands
of Ecuadoreans intoned on April 16, during a massive anti-government
protest in the capital, Quito, against President Lenin Moreno’s
neoliberal policies.

The protest was called upon by different sectors of society, such as
workers from Radio Pichincha Universal - a public radio station that
was recently pulled from the air; current legislators and sympathizers
of former President Rafael Correa's Citizens Revolution party from all
over the country, independent collectives, disgruntled citizens and
dozens of young people wearing  masks from the international group
Anonymous, in protest of Julian Assange’s arrest.

"Today we are here against the misgovernment that exists, as well as
(Lenin’s) betrayal of the government plan for which he was elected.
Ecuador has been sold to the IMF, taking measures against the Ecuadorean
people," Provincial coordinator for Loja of the Citizen Revolution
Movement, Marck Iñiguez said during the march.

The protestors started walking at around 16:00 local time in the
direction of the historic old city, where the Presidental Palace is
located. However, when entering the city’s colonial narrow streets, they
were violently met by riot police.

An independent media collective, KolectiVoz, reported on a Twitter live
video feed of police repression, who were using tear gas and batons
against demonstrators. Other social media users published images and
videos of riot police advancing against protestors and closing off
streets. Two collectives denounced that their collaborator Vladimir
Obando was briefly, arbitrarily detained by National Police while
covering the demonstration.

“The government's orders are ‘shut up and attack those who demonstrate
against us.’ Repression is what we live now, but we can not be silenced
and stopped; we are the people and together we will recover our
homeland,” left-wing lawmaker Jota Lloret declared during the rally.

    Las órdenes del Gobierno es “Callar y atacar a quienes se
    manifiestes en su contra” Esos son los nuevos “Aires de libertad”.
    La represión es lo que se vive ahora pero no nos podrán callar y
    menos detener, somos el pueblo y juntos recuperamos nuestra patria.
    #16ANiUnDerechoMenos
    <https://twitter.com/hashtag/16ANiUnDerechoMenos?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc^tfw>
    pic.twitter.com/zteh7c3VeB <https://t.co/zteh7c3VeB>

    — Jota Lloret (@jotalloretv) April 17, 2019
    <https://twitter.com/jotalloretv/status/1118317548557221889?ref_src=twsrc^tfw>

This latest demonstration comes as Moreno’s administration has openly
aligned with the U.S. backed right-wing governments from Latin America.
In the last couple of months, oil prices went up, unemployment rates are
at a record high, and just recently the government signed a US$4.2
billion dollar deal with the IMF, announcing that a set of austerity
measures will be implemented starting 2019.

"He has sold the country to the oligarchy, the bankers have their media
outlets back, and all natural resources are sold to the highest bidder.
We know that the IMF loan will bring many consequences," said one of the
protesters while holding a banner that reads: "Out with  Moreno / Out
with the traitor.”

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/