[News] Grief replaces laughter as Gaza marks Ramadan

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Tue May 29 13:47:48 EDT 2018

https://electronicintifada.net/content/grief-replaces-laughter-gaza-marks-ramadan/24501

  Grief replaces laughter as Gaza marks Ramadan

Sarah Algherbawi
<https://electronicintifada.net/people/sarah-algherbawi> - 28 May 2018

The Abu Hassanein family is trying to mark Ramadan in the normal way.
But it has proven impossible.

Nobody could convince Shifaa Abu Hassanein to join the family for an
iftar – the meal which ends a day of fasting – as the holy month began.

Three days earlier, Shifaa lost
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/nora-barrows-friedman/listen-clearly-marked-gaza-medics-shot-israeli-snipers>
her 36-year-old son Mousa. He was one of approximately 60 people killed
<https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/israel-slaughters-palestinians-marching-return>
by Israel during the Gaza massacre on 14 May.

Mousa was a paramedic – the orange vest he was wearing clearly
identified him as such. He was providing first aid to the injured when
he was hit by a sniper’s bullet.

“I don’t feel like eating or drinking anything,” said Shifaa. “I can’t
even handle the family gathering for an iftar without Mousa. Everything
reminds me of Mousa. He used to love the food we had at Ramadan. He
would always ask me to make pea soup and rice.”

After the evening prayers of Ramadan, Mousa would “make us tea and come
and talk and laugh with us, sometimes for hours,” Shifaa added. “I will
miss him badly.”

Shifaa, who is 61, last saw her son at around 4 pm on the day he was
killed. She had joined the Great Return March in Malaka, east of Gaza City.

Mousa took a selfie
<https://www.facebook.com/GNNA.NOW/posts/2091021001225394> with his
mother and gave her a kiss. He then left as he had work to do.

Explosions had been heard in the environs of a cemetery about two
minutes drive from Malaka. Mousa made his way to that area. He was
equipped with just a few tourniquets, which medical staff had been using
to try and stanch the loss of blood from people shot by Israeli snipers.

When he reached the area, Mousa went to treat some injured youths, who
were near the fence separating Gaza and Israel. As he approached them,
Mousa was himself shot in the chest.

He fell down and was on the ground for 30 minutes before other
paramedics could reach him. He was already dead when they arrived.

Rafat Daher, a friend and colleague of Mousa’s, was one of those paramedics.

“We needed time to reach Mousa because we had to search for him amid the
fire and smoke,” Daher said. “When we reached him it was too late.”

Before he was killed, Mousa had succeeded in rescuing another colleague,
Palestinian Canadian doctor Tareq Loubani. Mousa treated his colleague’s
wound after Loubani had been shot with a bullet that penetrated both his
legs.

In total, four members of the team in which Mousa was working –
including himself and Loubani – were shot that day.

    Somber

Usually, Ramadan is a time of joy and color.

This year it opened in a somber mood.

Many of Gaza’s families had to attend funerals for the people killed in
the 14 May massacre. Economic hardship – caused by Israel’s siege and
the refusal
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/abbas-breaks-pay-pledge-gazas-workers/24371>
of the Palestinian Authority to pay public sector wages – has also
dampened spirits.

“Every year, we make a good profit during Ramadan,” said 50-year-old
Zuheir Abu Selmia, who sells kitchen utensils at al-Zawya market in the
center of Gaza City. “But this year is different. People can’t afford to
buy food and other kitchen requirements for Ramadan. I open from 9 am
until 6 pm and often I sell to less than 10 customers a day.”

Israel has repeatedly fired on unarmed demonstrators since the Great
Return March began in late March – killing more than 100 Palestinians.

Thaer Rabaa, a 29-year-old resident of Jabaliya refugee camp, was killed
while taking part in protests on 6 April.

The pain inflicted on his family has been so acute that they have felt
unable to celebrate Ramadan together.

“Thaer was the most cheerful one,” said his mother Etaf. “He was the one
who started the conversations and made us laugh. Thaer was the family
breadwinner, he worked in construction and supported us. Without him our
life doesn’t have a meaning.”

Thaer’s wife Shireen is pregnant. The couple’s baby is due within the
next few weeks.

As she fed her 18-month-old daughter Mayar, Shireen said: “How will I
provide for my baby? All I have is loss, pain and hunger. Thaer was
planning to call the baby Mariam.”

/Sarah Algherbawi is a freelance writer and translator from Gaza./

863.9977 https://freedomarchives.org/