[News] Palestine - "Always on my mind"

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Thu Jul 26 11:12:10 EDT 2018

https://electronicintifada.net/content/always-my-mind/24976

  "Always on my mind"

Anne Paq <https://electronicintifada.net/people/anne-paq> - 26 July 2018

Muhammad Awadallah, 80, near his home in the village of al-Walaja.

There is no choice but to remember.

“I can’t forget the land. It’s always on my mind. It’s like a mother
longing for her son.”

Muhammad Mahmoud Salem Awadallah, 80, was speaking in the occupied West
Bank village of new al-Walaja. It is located just a few kilometers from
the original al-Walaja village, from where he and all its other
residents were displaced in 1948 by Zionist forces.

Awadallah can still remember the vegetables his family grew on their
land, a time, he said, when “we had lands and our hearts were open.” And
he is typical, not just of the generations who were ethnically cleansed,
but of those who have come after him.

There are around 5 million Palestinian refugees registered with UNRWA,
the UN agency set up in 1949 especially to provide for them. Badil
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/badil>, a Palestinian refugee
advocacy group, estimated that there were almost 8 million Palestinian
refugees worldwide by the end of 2014, among them 720,000 internally
displaced persons.

The majority of these refugees, according to Badil, live within 100
kilometers of their original homes, yet most cannot visit, let alone
return to live. That is despite how the right of refugees to return to
their homes is a tenet of international humanitarian law.

Their plight lies at the heart of the Palestinian issue and, among
Palestinians, reverberates down the generations.

The recent Great March of Return
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/great-march-return> series of
protests in Gaza sought to put this issue back front and center of the
Palestinian national struggle.

Most of the protesters marching toward the boundary between Gaza and
Israel, braving sniper fire and risking their lives, were refugees, but
were also too young to remember the ethnic cleansing of 1948 when
750,000 Palestinians fled or were forced to flee their homes.

For those who remember, the pain is still vivid.

“With your questions, you are opening the wounds again,” said Yacoub
Ahmad Odeh, a refugee from Lifta
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/lifta>, a village in the Jerusalem
area.

Odeh is the head of the Committee to Protect Lifta Heritage and Culture
and has organized more than 40 tours to his Lifta for young people from
around the world. These outsiders can visit, unlike Palestinians in the
occupied West Bank, at the mercy of Israel’s permit system, locked away
behind checkpoints or who are simply too poor to afford the cost of travel.

In addition, many of the Palestinian villages that were depopulated in
1948 were destroyed afterwards to leave no place to return and no
reference for memory. In some places, only piles of stones and cacti
remain as testimonies to a life that was abruptly interrupted by the
Nakba <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/nakba>, the catastrophe, of 1948.

Israel has used other strategies to fade memories, adopting legislation
<https://electronicintifada.net/content/israel-criminalizes-commemoration-nakba/9289>
criminalizing the commemoration of the Nakba, or covering the ruins of
Palestinian villages with pine tree forests.

But the right of return is far from disappearing from refugees’ minds.

This photo essay attempts to make visible the connection between
Palestinian refugees and their places of origin by displaying the names
of refugees in Arabic in the location of their villages of origin. The
names were written by Afnan Zboun, a 14-year-old who lives in al-Azzeh
refugee camp <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/al-azzeh-refugee-camp>.

/Anne Paq is a French freelance photographer and member of the
photography collective ActiveStills <http://activestills.org/>./

/Umar al-Ghubari contributed research./

Abdelhamid Ahmad Ibrahim Abu Srour

/Abdelhamid Ahmad Ibrahim Abu Srour is originally from Beit Natif
<http://www.palestineremembered.com/Hebron/Bayt-Nattif/>. He now lives
in the Aida refugee camp
<https://electronicintifada.net/tags/aida-refugee-camp>, in the West
Bank city of Bethlehem, where he has had a grocery shop for 40 years and
still works there. He keeps the key to his father’s home in Beit Natif.
He is, he said, “around” 85 in age./

/Approximate distance to his original village: 25 kilometers./

I went back to see Beit Natif after 1967. Everything was destroyed.

We were happy. Everyone owned their land. We were living with Christians
and Jews like brothers.

My father was a farmer. We got everything from our own land – wheat,
beans, vegetables.

Each family had 30 to 60 /dunums/ [a /dunum/ is 1,000 square meters].
But we lived like one big family, and we did everything together. If we
saw a car in the village, we would follow it, it was something so new.

Beit Shemesh, a city in present-day Israel that is partly built on the
land of Beit Natif village, is expanding toward the ruins of Beit Natif.
Earth dug for construction is being put on top of some of the old stones
from the destroyed village.

We did not have radio or TV. I did not go to school there. We were busy
with the land. It was a simple life.

When the Zionist soldiers started shooting at us, we left. We were
scared. We left in the middle of the night with nothing.

We walked towards Wadi Fukin, went on top of the mountains and saw
people being killed. We stayed in the mountains for two months, sleeping
on the ground. Once we sneaked into our lands before the Jordanians told
us to leave.

Later, we went to Aida refugee camp and stayed in a big tent for three
months shared with seven families. Then we got a small tent for a couple
of years.

We’ve been occupied by many. In the end we will get our freedom.

Halima Ali Khalil

/Halima Ali Khalil, 78, is from al-Walaja
<http://www.palestineremembered.com/Jerusalem/al-Walaja/index.html>
village, and currently lives in the new al-Walaja, which was built by
fleeing refugees in what became a Jordanian-controlled area and what is
now the occupied West Bank. When we approached the nearby Ein al-Balad
spring to take photographs, there were some Israelis swimming there.
After they heard the purpose of the photo project, they told our guide,
who works for Zochrot <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/zochrot>, an
Israeli organization dedicated to the memory of the Nakba: “Your work is
useless, they [Palestinians] will never return here.”/

/Distance to her original village: 4 kilometers./

My nephew took me once to Ein al-Balad. I saw the Israelis swimming. I
was crying. I was also worried because I was afraid they would beat us.
They had big dogs.

We had a big house, made of stones, near Ein al-Balad. We had three
rooms for the people and two for the animals over two floors.

We had many trees: apricot trees, apple trees, olive trees, grapes. Life
was the best.

There were 16 springs in al-Walaja. My father was a farmer.

We cultivated everything around the spring, vegetables and fruits, and
we would sell in Jerusalem all the way to Jaffa. We used to take the train.

There was no school for us [girls], only the boys could go. I would go
with my father to the fields. We played outside a lot. We built a castle
and played hide and seek.

My family had 150 /dunums/ in different locations – like 50 /dunums/ in
Ras Abu Ammar
<http://www.palestineremembered.com/Jerusalem/Ras-Abu-%27Ammar/index.html>
that my father bought just before we left.

A view of the new village of al-Walaja from the opposite hill. A newly
constructed barbed-wire fence, several meters high, separates residents
from their agricultural lands. When completed, this structure, part of
Israel’s wall in the West Bank, will totally surround the village and
will likely force many to leave.

In 1948, the Zionists were at the Battir station
<http://www.palestineremembered.com/GeoPoints/Battir_7295/Article_19849.html>.
They shot at us. We fled and took only small things we could carry.

My father hid the new crops. On the night the militias came, some men
fought back and five or six were killed.

The Zionists destroyed our house. A few days later, we saw it from the
mountains. We cried.

After one year we came back to the mountain and started to dig. We were
living in caves and then we made houses of mud.

My father was always talking about al-Walaja. He died not long after we
fled.

He was so sad that they took the land. He was going back in secret to
the old al-Walaja to take care of the trees and always hoped to go back.

After 1967, we went back to take some crops and some herbs. We used to
go to Ein Hanyia but now we can’t go at all. With the building of the
wall, we also lost 10 /dunums/.

God willing, we will go back. I still cry over our land. Hopefully we
will go back and Palestine will be free, and all people will be united.

Muhammad Mahmoud Salem Awadallah

/Muhammad Mahmoud Salem Awadallah, 80, is from al-Walaja and currently
lives in the new village, just a few meters away from the Israeli wall.
 From an old photo found on the internet, taken just after the Zionist
troops took control of the village, he could identify his home, up in
the mountain./

/Approximate distance to his original village: 3 kilometers./

We had so many vegetables, herbs, fruits: parsley, mint, cucumbers,
tomatoes, sweet peppers, cherries, apricots, peaches. So many.

We lived near Ein Balad spring. My father was a farmer. Our home had two
floors. Downstairs was for the animals. Upstairs there were four rooms
for us.

We had many sheep, and a lot of land around Ein Haniya spring and Ein
Balad, between 60 and 80 /dunums/. My father would sell to Jerusalem and
Jaffa.

There were Jewish neighbors in [the nearby village of] Malha. They were
like friends then. But after Israel was created, nothing was good.

We had lands and open hearts. I went to school for a year and a half.

I was around 8 when the Nakba happened. It was a quiet night and then
suddenly there were bullets.

We ran away to the mountains. We left under a rain of bullets. In the
chaos, we could not take anything.

After some days some came back, sneaking into the village. My
grandmother, Mahbouba Ali Sabha, was shot in the shoulder when she
sneaked there to look for our animals.

We stayed here, exactly at this location, under the trees for a couple
of years. Then we built a house of mud.

Three years after the Nakba, they demolished our houses to say to us:
you don’t have a home to go back to. But even if they destroyed our
village, my children, my grandchildren will go back and rebuild it.

I always have the land on my mind. It’s like a mother longing for her son.

Yacoub Ahmad Odeh

/Yacoub Ahmad Odeh, 78, is originally from Lifta
<http://www.palestineremembered.com/Jerusalem/Lifta/>. He now lives in
the Sheikh Jarrah <https://electronicintifada.net/tags/sheikh-jarrah>
neighborhood of occupied East Jerusalem. Here he is holding a family
tree of people from Lifta./

/Odeh is the head of the Committee to Protect Lifta Heritage and
Culture, and has been a human rights activist for 33 years. He spent 17
years in Israeli jail for his political activism, and was released
during a prisoner exchange deal in 1985./

/The village of Lifta is one of the only Palestinian villages attacked
in 1948 where there are still dozens of old homes standing that are not
now inhabited by new Jewish residents./

/Distance to his original village: 4 kilometers./

The first time I went back to Lifta was maybe three weeks after 1967