[News] Haiti - Crisis and Resolution, Fanmi Lavalas Statement

Anti-Imperialist News news at freedomarchives.org
Mon Dec 17 10:17:58 EST 2018

/Haiti Action Committee is honored to circulate this statement from
Fanmi Lavalas, the people’s party in Haiti.  Fanmi Lavalas issued the
statement in solidarity with the massive upsurge of protest against the
corrupt regime of Haiti’s current president Jovenel Moise.  The
statement comes in the wake of violent state repression, including the
horrific massacre of over 60 people in Lasalin, a center of popular
grassroots activism. /

/
This December 16thwas the 28thanniversary of the election of
Jean-Bertrand Aristide as Haiti’s first democratically elected
president.  The date was marked in Haiti with continued mobilizations
for democracy and an end to the brutal attacks on the population. /

*Fanmi Lavalas Statement*

*November 15, 2018 *

**

*Crisis and Resolution*

[/An unofficial translation by Haiti Action Committee/]

There is a grave crisis in contemporary Haitian society, in which the
masses of our people are opposing an oligarchy determined to perpetuate
a system of exclusion.

There have been many bumps in the road since February, 1986, when our
people overthrew the Duvalier regime. Several /coups/ /d'etat/ have
occurred, with the most damaging to the population having taken place in
1991 and 2004. Despite continued battering by the repressive and
ideological machine, the more conscious and militant sectors of the
population have stood firm; their resistance has been constant despite
periods of setback.

At the present time, we are witnessing a general awakening of national
consciousness. In addition to the population rising up to insist on
better living conditions, with demands coming from many different
sectors, including workers, peasants, educators, and students, the
scandal involving the embezzling of the Petro-Caribe funds has provoked
a big upsurge in mobilization against corruption and impunity. As so
often occurs throughout history, the Petro-Caribe scandal has raised the
awareness of the overwhelming majority about the unjust economic and
political system, revealing the cause-and-effect relationship between
this system and the sufferings of the Haitian people. Large masses of
the population have come to understand with greater clarity and
intensity the urgent necessity to take their destiny in their own hands.

As usually occurs during periods of dynamic struggle such as the
present, the oligarchy is fractured. Attempting to maintain the status
quo, it is faced with internal contradictions regarding the strategy
that would allow it to save “the system” -- a sham institutional
“democracy” set within a framework of an economic and social regime
based on glaring inequalities, a stranglehold on political power that
excludes the popular masses, and the pillage of national resources.

Fanmi Lavalas Political Organization is always closely tuned in to the
various sectors of the population, and our conclusion is obvious: it is
time for the political class to muster the courage to initiate a
profound change in the paradigm and structures of governance that
characterize the present system. This is a necessity that has a wide
consensus as manifested by the ever-growing magnitude of anti-government
mobilization that we are witnessing today. It is imperative that we
respect the people’s aspirations for progress and for a just society. It
is paramount that we stand in solidarity with the people’s protests
demanding a new form of state. The nation deserves a new system that is
more in harmony with the dreams of our founders, a new vision of the
Republic rooted in Justice, Transparency and Participation.

The population is rejecting the usurpers who have derived their power
from the fraudulent elections and who have discredited themselves with
multiple scandals involving corruption and impunity. Our people are
facing savage repression that continues to create victims among the
disadvantaged masses, and that is heightening the insecurity that is
poisoning daily life for the majority. Fanmi Lavalas Political
Organization continues to stand firmly with the Haitian people to
“/chavire chodyè a/ (overturn the cauldron)”. No cosmetic solution will
bring an effective and lasting solution to the crisis in which we are
plunged. This system has run its course. It cannot be patched up. It
must be changed.

“/Chavire chodyè a/ (Overturn the cauldron)” means that we consider this
moment to be exceptional. The deterioration of the political situation,
the degradation of the economy and public finances, the failure of the
state and its institutions, the lack of legitimacy and the absence of
credibility at all levels of the state apparatus, make illusory if not
impossible an end to the crisis by so-called constitutional means. The
conditions for a new beginning that will put the country back on track,
in
keeping with the demands of the overwhelming majority, require an
exceptional approach. For Fanmi Lavalas this includes:

1) Obtain the resignation of Jovenel Moise through a general mobilization

2) Resignation of Jean Henry Ceant and all his ministers

3) Assess the dysfunction and lapses in the Parliament

4) Put in place an executive and a government of public safety to ensure
a transition for a period of 36 months.

This transition government will consist of credible personalities,
engaged in the struggle against exclusion and corruption, who share a
vision of a new method of governance. Among the priorities to be included:

a) Improve the living conditions of the population by the sound and
efficient management of current priorities pending the installation of
an elected government.

b) Create a constituent assembly for a new fundamental charter that will
define the features of the new Republic.

c) Organize a necessary national dialogue.

d) Create the conditions that will end impunity and allow for a trial of
those who have absconded with the Petro-Caribe funds.

e) Take all measures to revise the Electoral Law and appoint a new
electoral council charged with organizing elections to close out the
transition period

The transition aims to implement fundamental reforms that would allow a
democratic process and would make possible free, honest and credible
elections. The transition must restore confidence between the people and
the state. In this light the demands of the popular masses must be taken
intoaccount on all issues. True to its commitment to social justice and
participation, Fanmi Lavalas will play its role alongside the population
in continuing to promote the dialogue that is indispensable among the
sons and daughters of the same land.

Executive Committee of Fanmi Lavalas

Dr. Maryse Narcisse

M. Joël Vorbe